Chassis Rear drop down spare

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
I've been wanting to move the spare from the A-frame to the rear of my van and when I asked a metal fabricator about building something I was advised that this would void any insurance as I've made a uncertified change to the chassis.

Can someone more qualified advise of the legalities of mounting a drop down spare wheel mechanism on the back end of an Expanda.

Cheers

Roscoe

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The modification work that you do would have to have a direct or contributing impact on any failure that you'd be seeking the warranty claim or insurance claim on. If the work is performed by an engineer or suitable qualified professional, he's misinformed, not qualified or is too busy.

If he was correct, then no repairs could ever be made to the caravan other than by Jayco.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If it helps we had ours done by a Jayco accredited repairer in Brisbane.

He's done lots of these and always said whether it can or can't be done and what effect it will have on ball weight etc.

Ours was done within a month of collecting the van and no one mentioned legalities....also done with some minor warranty work which mr Jayco paid for. We obviously paid for the spare wheel relocation.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I've been wanting to move the spare from the A-frame to the rear of my van and when I asked a metal fabricator about building something I was advised that this would void any insurance as I've made a uncertified change to the chassis.

Can someone more qualified advise of the legalities of mounting a drop down spare wheel mechanism on the back end of an Expanda.

Cheers

Roscoe

Iam rooted then! Lol

I rang the insurance company to say I have installed a gas heater and fitted a box to the drawbar. They said what value did you wanna put on the improvements ? I said $2500 and $1500. They said okay and raised the insured value of my van and noted the mods :) and raised my premium too :-( that was pretty much the whole total conversation other than hi and bye!

Sometimes people get to wound up and over think things.

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
lol.

You may very well be right. Too busy looking for why we can't do something to enjoy ourselves.

Anyway I took Dobbie's advice rang Jayco direct, got an authorised repairer; he's done plenty, rear or under, my choice. All good and booked in for Jan ( busy guys ). BTW, the winch setup is from a Starcraft I was told.

cheers all,

Roscoe

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
lol.

You may very well be right. Too busy looking for why we can't do something to enjoy ourselves.

Anyway I took Dobbie's advice rang Jayco direct, got an authorised repairer; he's done plenty, rear or under, my choice. All good and booked in for Jan ( busy guys ). BTW, the winch setup is from a Starcraft I was told.

cheers all,

Roscoe

Good luck mate I've had both either will work. Only advise on the winch I can suggest is get one with a chain not a cable. I have heard of a few of the cable ones lowering themselves!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good outcome then?

Our guy advised spare be placed on a bracket and bolted / welded to the rear bumper as it was strong enough.

It is locked in with a pin and bolt and takes 5 seconds to drop down for the rear bed to fold out. And about 15 seconds to lift and reattach when leaving.

It's done over 18000kms and not a problem.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I've done the same as @Dobbie
Mine was made by a member on here who no longer seems to be active, unfortunately.

0D3E1D5C-5F87-42B1-B161-681E7EB39D96-7275-000011B30A4C518B.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Our number plate had to be shifted to the right and the wiring adapted to that.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yes @achjimmy , same here, nobody asked who did the job and all was good, I do think the insurance angle thrown about by some is just BS most of the time, hell you couldn't change a tyre if that was the case, nanny state mentallity taking over.

Spare on the rear bar ends up being one big pain eventually, I ended up putting mine underneath after getting fed up with getting covered in mud or dust, left the bracket set up for if I need an extra spare, HiLux Ute winder underneath with a safety chain around it just in case in wants to drop.

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
Yes @achjimmy , same here, nobody asked who did the job and all was good, I do think the insurance angle thrown about by some is just BS most of the time, hell you couldn't change a tyre if that was the case, nanny state mentallity taking over.

Spare on the rear bar ends up being one big pain eventually, I ended up putting mine underneath after getting fed up with getting covered in mud or dust, left the bracket set up for if I need an extra spare, HiLux Ute winder underneath with a safety chain around it just in case in wants to drop.
I think you right. Stick it under and it's done. Only get dirty if I need to change the tyre and never done that in 10,000 K's. Although I will now that I've mentioned it.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We put a cover on the spare at the back....only washed it once so far

No real hassle. We wanted to put a pole carrier under at the rear....hence the mount on the bumper bar

Still haven't done the pole carrier....trying to sort out best (and easiest) method of attaching brackets to chassis. I lose interest after a while and wait for inspiration!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia

Drover why did you find it a pain if all you do is pull a pin and drop it ???? Or lower it to ground much easier to get to than underneath ???? And yes if two spares needed can put underneath

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
After dusty roads or following the water cart on roadworks it's amazing how much crap you get over you just pulling a pin. Need to get to the spare maybe once in 10yrs with it underneath and would be so Pd off that extra dirt is not a worry, with it on the bar have to drop the wheel about 200 times a year, it quickly becomes a pain I can tell you.
6 weeks on the road so far, underneath wins hands down.

@Ross Falcke I hope I haven't mozzed myself as well but I always hope to repair a flat on the axle , when I have to drag a spare out the tyre is usually totally stuffed.

Reactions: dagree