Chassis Rear drop down spare

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I rang racv and said I wanted to put my spare on the back she said hang on will look at my stuff that you can or carnt do came back with that's ok
hey @Matty4 where's the number plate ????????
@Bluey the numberplate is just to the right of that photo. Actually I think that photo was taken just after I finished mounting the new bar but hadn't fitted the plate yet. I screwed it straight to the new rear bar and then tapped into the tail-light wiring to run a new numberplate light on it. I also bought a spare tyre cover for it to keep it all nice and clean. When I wash the van the cover comes off for a quick hose down with the Karcher, all's good.

I'd much prefer to have it on the rear bar as it means that when I check tyre pressures whilst travelling I don't have to go crawling around underneath to gain access to the valve. Out of sight, out of mind, and then the one time you do need it...........................

Reactions: Bluey

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Exactly the same for us but haven't found the karcher necessary for cleaning the tyre cover. A bit of soapy water did it but the karcher would be easier.

We're happy with it on rear bumper also as it's easier to check tyre pressure.

Poor Drover.....stuck on the side of the road....swearing about a flat tyre....then he has to crawl under.....in the mud.....after searching for the winder.....to find the spare is flat.
:argue:

:banplease:

Reactions: dagree and Matty4

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Had both don't see an issue either way . Probably perfer underneath by a small margin. I worry a bit when I follow another van with the amount I see the spare on the bar move? But then in the Starcraft underneath meant extra tank or grey tank was a no go. If it's just checking pressures you can get those tube extended for that purpose. Either way is 200% better than that cradle on the drawbar.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
And I have got a cover for the spare yet, was going to get one of those rubbish bag spare covers.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Poor Drover.....stuck on the side of the road....swearing about a flat tyre....then he has to crawl under.....in the mud.....after searching for the winder.....to find the spare is flat.
:argue:

:banplease:

Oh you working car drivers, us retired Truckies don't do it that way, pull out repair kit, jack up wheel, locate and fix puncture, inflate tyre, lower jack, put gear away, drive off.....job done.......spare tyre is for looks............for major issues, pull out phone call RACQ, thats why I pay the big $$$$.

Check pressure ????, locate remote valve on rear bar, apply tyre gauge, read tyre pressure, inflate if needed....easy, peasy...no dirt on this black duck.:applouse::applouse::applouse::applouse:

This where I stuck my plate...

tyre07m-jpg.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My spare wheel now has to stay on the rear bumper..... It has the reverse camera mounted on top of it ;)

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Our Journey has the spare on the rear bumper - came with vinyl cover - threw that away after our Cameron Corner trip last year - it was full of dust which turned to red mud when I washed it! Much easier to keep a naked spare clean - just my thoughts ........

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey Drover.

Your photo shows spare on back bumper...did I miss something? I thought you had it underneath.

That's exactly the same as the position ours is...if it's the same and not been moved since then I abjectly apologise for maligning you.

We Queenslanders have to stick together.

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well half of it is still there @Dobbie, I just removed the swinging bit and left the mount on the bar for the spare, spare...............it did mean that I had to reposition my cam which was also mounted on the spare, it lives on top of the van now . Have to look at my van thread for later pics of the Tardis.

One thing people have to remember is that if you move your wheel from front to rear you should compensate for the weight shift as well, fitting a wheel up high can also cause an extra bit of arse end swing, not always though, underslinging it keeps that weight lower which is always good. Either, either are all good to me far better than between the draw bar.

QUEENSLANDER...............................

Reactions: dagree and Bluey

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
All,

The responses have been both enlightening and funny.

Drover, that's exactly why I'm moving the wheel. On the A frame and sitting proud at that, makes it impossible to install a tool box etc. I worked out that moving the 35 kg tyre to the rear, adding a 17 kg tool box I have another 18 kg of crap I can carry.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh for sure @Ross Falcke , I think thats why we all did it, well I have a boot at the front and converted my tyre rack into a meash cage to carry chocks, hoses etc and fitting a stone guard made it impossible to get the spare out anyway...........with a tool box fitted you may have to mount 2 spares on back to compensate after you add a Weber, push bikes, kitchen sink, 40lts of diesel for heater...lol.