ragracing's 14.44-4 Outback

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Well after a lot of reading of this forum the wife and I left the kids with Grand parents yesterday and went put a deposit down on a 14.44-4 Outback :dance:

So we have added the following:
Awning
Privacy Screens
Roof top Air-Conditioner
Extra power point at the bunks
Battery
Anderson Plug
Extra 9kg Gas Bottle Holder
300mm A Frame Extension
Windup TV Antenna
12 Pump for the Tank with a Tap to the A Frame
Larger Fridge

The only bad bit is we don't get it until September :frown: but we still have a few trips booked in with the Swan before we get it ready to be sold.

I have a question for other 14.44-4 Outback owners would you be able to measure the roof height at the wheel of your van (Centre) when it is closed and open just so that I can check my shed for fitment. I forgot to do this when I was at the dealer yesterday. The brochure says 2400mm including TV Antenna and Roof Hatch but I don't remember seeing a roof hatch in all the excitment yesterday.

Thanks for all your help and roll on September

Duncan

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Welome Duncan
We had a 4 month wait for ours which gave me plenty of time to accessorise (buy all the gadgets for) ours, this is a great forum with friendly people and a lot of useful information
Cheers Grant :welcome:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Congrts on ordering the new van:rockon:

I'll check mine for you tonight for height though we don't have an antenna or roof top air/con.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Duncan, just measured mine, it's 2.33m at the axle. We have a storm brewing here so didn't get to measure it open for you.

I have the standard suspension setup on my outback, which is an overslung axle for al single axle outback models. If you went the simplicity suspension it would be much higher.

Hope this helps.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Thanks Moto,

That's great, The door clearance on my shed is 2.67m with the inside clearance of 3m at the beams with about another half metre to the peak.

The roof Air-con is 200mm according to the dealer so that would make 2.53m give or take a bit all should be ok but I have sent an email of to the dealer anyway just to confirm.

Duncan

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Ok a bit of an update,

I have spoken with my Jayco Salesman and he states that the Height is 2400mm and the Sparrow A/C is 240mm giving a total height of 2640mm.

So my shed door opening is only 2670mm that gives me 30mm to spare which is a bit scary. When I looked at my shed yesterday I can modify the shed door to get it to go up about another 20mm if necessary.

The good thing is that the Salesman is going to bring one out closer to the confirmation time and we can have a go at putting it in the shed and doing a bit of measuring.

Duncan

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
My mate had the same problem with his new caravan. In the end he got a set of small wheels that he puts on for storage. They are special wheels for the purpose.

Could you let your tyres down a bit then pump them up with a mini compressor.

My other mate had the same problem with his boat and he tried to raise the roller door up 20mm. Caused more problems than what it was worth.

Geoff

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hi Geoff,

I don't really want to be letting down tyres and pumping them up again but it is a way around it that I hadn't thought of and would be easier than modifying the shed.

Thanks for the ideas
Duncan

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I think that 2400mm height would be an empty bog standard model. I wonder if you add all the accessories etc maybe you might gain 20mm. I have two water tanks two gas bottles etc and mine was 2330mm. Or maybe thats the height with the antenna. There is no roof hatch on this model.

P.S. The van comes in way under 2 ton yet rides on a 2 ton rated axle, so i asked the dealer for more payload, and Jayco gave me an extra 75kg for nothing, no changes to the van, just a new compliance plate. Worth asking the question, so you don't over load the van and keeps everything legal.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Thanks Cruza, I have been reading your trip reports and loving them!

Thanks Moto,
I have got a bit of a list together so that when I goto the dealer I have it all fresh in my mind with all these extras.
It could be the extras as well that are weighing things down only time will tell.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Just had my van up packing for the weekend.

Open its 2760mm high, once again no antenna or roof hatch, or roof A/C.

Its now fully loaded with gear, all water tanks full. Not sure if that makes any difference though:biggrin1:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Geoff,

I don't really want to be letting down tyres and pumping them up again but it is a way around it that I hadn't thought of and would be easier than modifying the shed.

Thanks for the ideas
Duncan

I have noticed my mates expensive caravan sitting outside his house and not in his massive garage, I think it is a pain for him to swap the four wheels over!

Geoff

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hi Geoff,

I think if it doesn't fit after the dealer brings out one to test we will have to remove the roof top A/C

Duncan

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Geoff,

I think if it doesn't fit after the dealer brings out one to test we will have to remove the roof top A/C

Duncan

If its any help, we have the cabinet mount A/C and the few times we have used it we have found it to be very effient at cooling such a small van. The roof top may be over kill on a van this size.
Especially if its going to be a close fit.