Pathfinders and the wdh

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Evening all, Interested in comments and opinions please. Picked up the new (pre loved) tow vehicle during the week a 2009 pathfinder with 55ks on it. Even managed to get them to put 4 new tyres on it, move all the electrics with brakes from the captiva across, and put a tow bar on it. It's here that upon reading he book my query stems. The Nissan book clearly states the vehicle is designed so that a wdh is not required. It even goes as far to say don't use them? Any comments. Thanks Harv

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have had our towbar welded up like a D40 navara to be rid off the bolt on solution Nissan engineered.I have used wdh,though now too have installed rear air bags.wil be getting van out Sunday for a drive as want to test ride with airbags and the power chip too.happy days.oh. I won't be using wdh . Cheers.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Do not use WDH on a Pathfinder if it has a Nissan towbar. They fall off.
If a HR towbar, you'll be fine.

Nissan has redesigned the bar a couple of times now so theoretically the problems are gone, but they say not to use WDH on several models due to their earlier mishaps.
(do a search at PCOA.org.au)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks SD.
It talks a lot about using Hayman Reece instead. Ours is a second hand car and I am wondering if this is fitted already. Do you know if there is a way to tell if the tow bar is original or Hayman Reece?

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
the bar should be stamped or a sticker somewhere of brand and compliance.If stlll not sure just call into your local dealer they should be able to tell you. If it's not geniune there should be a sticker place on the right hand b piller.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Having a PAthy with a Panda. I can recommend the airbags. Well worth the cost. BUT they work best with the WDH. I have found that with out the WDH you still get a bit of bounce with the soft factory suspension in the Pathy.

That said if you have the Nissan towbar DONT use the WDH. Worst case scenario it may fall off. If you do have the Nissan towbar, get rid of it and put on a HR towbar. Not too expensive and then you can use the WDH. We use the WDH and airbags and it tows well. I have found after some testing the 3 link works best....

You will love the Pathy. They are a great tow vehicle.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ok so it looks like I have the Nissan towbar.
Not happy Jan.
However I looked at the Hayman Reece website and it seems the one for my pathie is rated at 3000kg.
Yet Nissan rate the standard to 3500kg. Is that correct?

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok so it looks like I have the Nissan towbar.
Not happy Jan.
However I looked at the Hayman Reece website and it seems the one for my pathie is rated at 3000kg.
Yet Nissan rate the standard to 3500kg. Is that correct?
The Nissan towbar is only 3000kgs as well. The one for the Ti550 is 3500...

Time for a towbar upgrade. Sell the Nissan one on Ebay to get some of your costs back

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
I have had our towbar welded up like a D40 navara to be rid off the bolt on solution Nissan engineered.I have used wdh,though now too have installed rear air bags.wil be getting van out Sunday for a drive as want to test ride with airbags and the power chip too.happy days.oh. I won't be using wdh . Cheers.

Update.got the van out to drop of for hail damage repairs,New roof and lids and entry door.car towed great.30psi in airbags rear dropped a little though no where near as without them.suspension travel was great as to the ride towing.no wdh. Power module went great.car didn't even know van was behind it.pulling through the gears in taffic was effortless and so smooth.on highway,l put the foot into it and before I knew it one hundred and not going admit it on the Speedo,could merge lanes with confidence knowing the power availability.economy was good per the dial on the dash though will see as I get van back for more clairtiy.cheers pace.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ok... So I found out a few things about my pathfinder as a result of all this.
1. I thought I had 3500kg towing capacity. In reality it is 3000kg.
2. No need to search on a website for the Nissan warning on not using a WDH. See pic below. You just need to read the message stuck to the drivers side door.

369610862.760255.jpg

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I wonder when they stipulate "Load Levelling Devices" does that cover air bags as well?

I was reading up on how to install them in a Pathfinder and by the sounds of it on the R51 you just double fold the bag and squeeze it through the springs, slot in the top protective mount and then run your air line.

Hmmm I am interested now just to find them in the USA for cheap :).

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
I wonder when they stipulate "Load Levelling Devices" does that cover air bags as well?

I was reading up on how to install them in a Pathfinder and by the sounds of it on the R51 you just double fold the bag and squeeze it through the springs, slot in the top protective mount and then run your air line.

Hmmm I am interested now just to find them in the USA for cheap :).

Refer post #5 within this thread.cheers pace.

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
So this now has me thinking. SD/stuart when you say fall off, is that the bolts on the chassis don't hold, or the locking pin comes out, or something else. I had my tow bar installed by the ACT towbar bloke ( not nissan) just got under the back of the car and there are six bolts holding it to the chassis - if that falls off I expect I'll lose the whole back of the vehicle.

I too have the plate on in the door that says they are not recommended when using genuine Nissan gear..

A dumb question for pathy owners, what models have the airbags in the rear? Not being a techno, do I assume that the airbags raise and lower the back using the chip technology based on the load being towed?

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Mum & Dad had a HR Bar fitted to there Subaru Outback and used WDH. It wrecked the sub frame of the car.
Subaru warn against using a WDH with there bar although HR did not carry through the warning.
I believe the problem is that vehicles that have self leveling suspenssion fight with the WDH and someone always wins the fight!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Update.got the van out to drop of for hail damage repairs,New roof and lids and entry door.car towed great.30psi in airbags rear dropped a little though no where near as without them.suspension travel was great as to the ride towing.no wdh. Power module went great.car didn't even know van was behind it.pulling through the gears in taffic was effortless and so smooth.on highway,l put the foot into it and before I knew it one hundred and not going admit it on the Speedo,could merge lanes with confidence knowing the power availability.economy was good per the dial on the dash though will see as I get van back for more clairtiy.cheers pace.
What program setting did you use on the chip for towing pace? Mine arrived in the mail today so will install this week.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
got the call this afternoon, van ready to be picked up, repairer informed jayco supplied all new type internal lighting with LED's with the replacment roof, wow hoo. line that mod of the list.
as for the settings, left it standard as i received it in the mail, not game to alter anything yet till i get used to the module requirements. ODB2 installed and wealth of information coming from the ECU, great to see. cheers pace.