Over-loaded tug and/or Van!! Is this you???

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Funny I thought it was already there that you couldn't exceed axle loadings unless said axles had been upgraded it is with heavy vehicles, it certainly makes a lot of sense to have a GVM higher than the axle loadings doesn't it...NOT
Probably find the possibility to wear a fine for over on axle weights could still happen even with the increased GVM on earlier approvals, be interetsing.

Some real "common sense" is creeping in at last!!!. Spot on @Drover .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Funny I thought it was already there that you couldn't exceed axle loadings unless said axles had been upgraded it is with heavy vehicles, it certainly makes a lot of sense to have a GVM higher than the axle loadings doesn't it...NOT
Probably find the possibility to wear a fine for over on axle weights could still happen even with the increased GVM on earlier approvals, be interetsing.
My gvm/gcm is guaranteed in writing to be exactly that, gvm and gcm. The Fed Gov are in charge of vehicle standards (the law says that). The FSM and SSM upgrade process are created and controlled by the Fed Gov. The documents are ratified by the FedGov and the plate issued by the FedGov under the same legislation and design rules as FSM. The state has absolutely zero authority to do any of that, for eg if Qld decides it wants to manufacture or import a new Bjelkie Petterson Coupe with built in brown paper bags, it has to comply with all relevant Fed laws, and virtually no state laws even their own. Pretty simple. I most certainly cant have committed an offence at any point, the 'culprits' are always limited to Lovells and the Fed Dept of Infrastructure because both told me its good to go.

My modified car, and a factory equivalent parked side by side both comply with same laws and design rules set out and applied by the same Fed legislation, so if Qld can poo poo my car, why can they not poo poo the one next to me ... after it becomes a private veh (by purchase) and registered under a States legislation the state can start making all the rules it likes as what can and cant be done to that car from that point forward only. This rubbish of letting someone else run the entire lollie factory while you sit there heckling like a moron, then believe you can cherry picking your favourite lollies from the bag is just petulant horse$hit. Im all for QLD setting up their own totally independent Motor Veh importation and certification process, the carnage that would produce would be very much fun to watch ... wanna run your way, by all means Qld knock yourself out. Lets do it

Gvm upgrades as a matter of course increase the stress on the chassis, towbar, fixed suspension points, shock mounts, panhards, tie rods, axles, diffs, bearing, gears etc etc. None of these components have listed maximums and no-on gives two hoots about them, and all the upgrade providers do is swap out springs coils and shocks. Gvm upgrades generally only increase the gvm from the factory recommendation to the combined total of the factory stated limits of the front and rear axles. Theres not a lot of magic fairy dust or dancing with the devil going on there. Over limit upgrades go through some rigorous testing in order to be approved, and that testing process has to amused both State and Fed auths, which it does. The Fed Gov hold the big stick with motor vehicle legislation regarding design, importation, emission, safety and certification etc etc legislation, they do this because the states agreed for the Fed Gov to do that. For the states to sit back in the cheap seats and watch it all play out, and then after the fact pretend they aren't aware of this and nit pick one single aspect is $%#%^&*# ludicrous, shameful and pathetic. In every other area of law, when you comply its then up to the naysayer to prove otherwise. Why is this not the case here. I don't never get dragged into the arena with a predetermined guilt, and then have to prove my innocence, thats the premise our entire system in built on. The Salem trials used that theory, and most folk agree that wasnt the best way to go. The Fed Gov says Im good to go, Qld can prove why Im not

I had an independent Auto Eng quote to look at the gvm of my Navara, and I immediately went into arrhythmia. The price started at $15000, and I had to hire a race track for them to use.

Lovells, in my case, does all that behind the scenes and then take on Toyotas 5 year factory warranty so any failure caused by their mod is their issue. Lovells are increasing very heavy very expensive 4x4s, vehs that they know are going to be pushed to their limits. In simple terms, if I follow the limits and my axle snaps, for 5 years Lovells will replace that. The axle load increase in my case is quite minor, less than 100kgs, so in real terms it makes for some very very creative, or comical load planning with a significant percentage of the allowable increased load required to over the the front axle, ie some on the dash, some in my lap but most roped onto the bonnet.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The article was about NSW( New South Wales) not QLD ...............................I repeat NOT QUEENSLAND .........

So what are you prancing about for............................. I just stated making GVM loads above the axle loads is a bit silly and don't care if its State or Federal its still defeats the whole purpose of having regulations for safe vehicles ......... not commenting on what anyone has done thats their problem and NSW has always had dumb regs.

At least you have a GCM I don't...................... loosen your sombreo muchucho......

PS: I will look at the QLD regs to see if they Doo Doo your truck.....lol,lol,lol.

Looked, read bits of it ......https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...18.pdf?la=en&usg=AOvVaw04_OMoL4meP-fRv-QGUvrD

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The article was about NSW( New South Wales) not QLD ...............................I repeat NOT QUEENSLAND .........

So what are you prancing about for............................. I just stated making GVM loads above the axle loads is a bit silly and don't care if its State or Federal its still defeats the whole purpose of having regulations for safe vehicles ......... not commenting on what anyone has done thats their problem and NSW has always had dumb regs.

At least you have a GCM I don't...................... loosen your sombreo muchucho......

PS: I will look at the QLD regs to see if they Doo Doo your truck.....lol,lol,lol.

Looked, read bits of it ......https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiao9iGr5HpAhVK4zgGHTRsBQEQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-standards/Vehicle-standards-instructions/1018/qcop-vehicle-modifications-v4_0-1018.pdf?la=en&usg=AOvVaw04_OMoL4meP-fRv-QGUvrD
Sorry good Sir, it wasn't directed at you but after re-reading it kinda sounded like it was (I'll take a well deserved point there for winding you up without even knowing it). Mine was just a general observation applicable to all over reaching state idiots with adhd and not enough to amuse them locally, sticking their nose into a Fed area already well and truly subjected to enough rules and laws, all aimed to just to annoy and confuse avg folk for sport. Your correct, its NSWs turn to wear the monkey suit, but that same monkey suit would still have the smell of the Qld transport Minister in it .... he wore it for some time, not so long ago

So to you I say the same as I often say to the Princess, read on

"If at any time I do or say something/anything and whatever it was that I said or did could be interpreted in two ways, both a positive and/or negative way, it was always 100% intended to be positive .... Darling." In your case the "Darling" is optional ... but still recommended ;)

PS why on gods earth would NSW manufacture a Bjelkie Petterson Coupe ... thats makes no sense

Last edited:
Reactions: Brente1982

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In your case the "Darling" is optional ... but still recommended

Thanks sweetie, thats thanks from a Sailor too........:becky::cheerful:

PS why on gods earth would NSW manufacture a Bjelkie Petterson Coupe ... thats makes no sense

It is NSW you know............:crazy:

Sorry good Sir, it wasn't directed at you but after re-ready it kinda sounded like it was

I thought that but couldn't resist a good bite ........ :croc:... I will allow a point to you as I lay back in the 24 deg autumn day up here.

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thats crap so a car that has its gvm done before 1st reg is ok but a car thats 12 months old isnt but dont the 2 same cars have the same axles ???? Id like to take that to cort for someone else to work out same cars same axels
My axles arnt being changed but my top control arms and rear Panhard rod is to a stronger and more adjustable for alighnment after being raised a bit
I get 500kgs extra Gvm and increased GCM as well from 6800 something to 7300 something thanks to Lovells

rags

“The article was about NSW( New South Wales) not QLD ...............................I repeat NOT QUEENSLAND”

But if you are interested in Qld you could read this document
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/...cop-vehicle-modifications-v4_0-1018.pdf?la=en

a few other things come into play between states like this Act
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C2004A04489 and similar Mutual Recognition Acts that are administered in each state. These Acts effectively state that goods manufactured in the first state cannot be restricted in the second state although there are exemptions but usually applied through regulation.

then you have for example a caravan built in one state that has a gas installation with a compliance certificate issued by a licensee in the state of manufacture won’t be accepted in another state as the certificate is issued by a licence holder and not the manufacturer.

At least the train tracks are all the same gauge throughout Australia. They are aren’t they?
What do you mean their not

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Thats crap so a car that has its gvm done before 1st reg is ok but a car thats 12 months old isnt but dont the 2 same cars have the same axles ???? Id like to take that to cort for someone else to work out same cars same axels
My axles arnt being changed but my top control arms and rear Panhard rod is to a stronger and more adjustable for alighnment after being raised a bit
I get 500kgs extra Gvm and increased GCM as well from 6800 something to 7300 something thanks to Lovells

You're not wrong. I think it's fair to say Lovells, on their own essentially, have done so much R&D on their kids, and had to go through countless tests to get certification. They've fought for their right to be a legalised second stage of manufacture. And then a state, of their own accord, turn around and throw it out the door.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Its a typical can of worms you start here: https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/
then proceed to here for QLD: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/V...odifications/Light-vehicle-modifications#ncop

the other states have similar if you care to dig around, they make interesting reading if your bored, have panadol handy and be prepared to find an official will have a different idea of what it says...................

If you have a lookie here https://myrta.com/rvd/searchRVD.do?submitValue=start you should find all the data regarding your vehicle that was required for registration no matter what state, with an ARB, Lovells, TJM whatever mod it should be found on here otherwise they could never get it plated... does require some digging around to find your vehicle model at times. Note this site only works during office hours. If you get it done while on the docks that mod may not appear on here as it has its own cert and plating.

Old mate down south a Hot Rod builder went down this path with his 70 series Cruiser , soon as it got off the ship in Melb it was whisked off to shop to get the chassis lengthened to set the rear axle 500mm to rear, had the axle widened to match the front track, of course all new suspension, funny enough one bit was done in QLD, one bit in VIC and when all complete with Engineered Cert it was plated in NSW, a few $$$ spent and its a very nice vehicle.....but everything including the seat changes had to be done before it was wheeled in to get plated................

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
There’s always a fix for every product associated with running over weight, just each persons budget stands in the way
https://www.caravancampingsales.com...this-big-rig-the-ultimate-tow-vehicle-124067/
Ummmmm .... yeah. There are people both incredibly clever to afford such a thing, and incredibly (insert what you prefer) for actually getting it. (IMO of course)

Makes that Bushtracker van look like a dog trailer, and the price of the Bushtracker are a wonder to behold as well

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I couldn't afford a new tyre let alone fill the tank...................even if I had the money I wouldn't, its size would keep you out of so many places.