Over-loaded tug and/or Van!! Is this you???

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Have raced a few vehicles in my day with drum brakes ,never would they pull up in a straight line.! Pedders tests between a rear drum braked Ranger and one with their disc conversion showed a much shorter braking distance.
Never had a problem with disc brakes ,always fit quality pads and discs .

Concede what you say @BJM about straight line braking with drum brakes. Once again all to do with adjustment, braking co-efficiency of brake lining and heat. Discs don't have that problem unless the rotor is warped or caliper/disc pads not parallel to rotor on BOTH sides. Never had any real problem with the drum brakes on my 1965 Valiant which I had from new and still have, but then never subjected to continuous severe use as in racing or heavy towing either! Still has only less than 50 thou wear on rear drums. Front has been changed to ventilated discs with power assist. So all my talk is about my own experiences.
I guess that the test by Pedders would be pretty accurate. But never my intention to push brakes to the limit. The use of gears as they do in trucks/buses on slopes is enough warning for me to go down a couple of cogs when towing. I guess I have been "out-gunned".

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
I used a different weighbridge this morning. Another goweigh one at a different BP servo. And i came in 140kg lighter than at a previous one. I now have no confidence in them at all.

Might have to get a mobile guy out to do it onsite.
Just means that if i am lighter than i am no longer in need of a GVM (potential GCM as well) upgrade

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I did not have to pay and you think Land Rover get sick of $$ warranty work
Last Disco started costing $$ as it aged.
Why I was looking for something different last time
08657027-12E5-4DB5-BD1A-A222EE81771C.jpeg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used a different weighbridge this morning. Another goweigh one at a different BP servo. And i came in 140kg lighter than at a previous one. I now have no confidence in them at all.

Just means that if i am lighter than i am no longer in need of a GVM (potential GCM as well) upgrade
Where was the actual load difference ? Axle (GTM) or draw bar job (ATM) or was it all up GCM, ob a lot ofbridges you have to cross reference the readings but also some full size bridges require small rigs to be in a certain spot or the load gets thrown. Were you trying for a proper tare ? Being your van with basic load namely water ,gas,jack,shades, pegs and other basic gear before you throw the extras clothes,food,beer.....I honestly think if you manage to be 80kg when locked and loaded your sweet, in fact brilliant as most would be over.....So long as you dont blow the tugs figures.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

I has the same issue with GoWeigh. A few years back we were doing a shake down trip with simulated payload, 3 months prior starting a 14mth lap of Oz. Heading home grand final the GoWeigh scales at Geelong put us a combined 300kg over loaded; the last thing we needed 3 mths before launch. Some very ruthless pruning using a set of scales, I stripped out 350kg. I already had a suspension upgrade in the Navara with 500kg constant load springs for work tools, and ditched that suspension for a Pedders GVM upgrade. After the pruning I headed up to the local Scorseby GoWeigh on East Link (cost me a bloody toll as well) and that scale put me only 100kg lighter, which was impossible. I rang them and were more interested in trying to convince me how wonderful GoWeigh was, how accurate down to 20kg I think from memory, than they were about the unexplained significant disparity between the sites. I wouldn't trust them again nor the company the runs them, and recommend others steer clear of them also. I just rely on the "free" VicRoad truck weigh-bridges now.

Reactions: Drover

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Where was the actual load difference ? Axle (GTM) or draw bar job (ATM) or was it all up GCM, ob a lot ofbridges you have to cross reference the readings but also some full size bridges require small rigs to be in a certain spot or the load gets thrown. Were you trying for a proper tare ? Being your van with basic load namely water ,gas,jack,shades, pegs and other basic gear before you throw the extras clothes,food,beer.....I honestly think if you manage to be 80kg when locked and loaded your sweet, in fact brilliant as most would be over.....So long as you dont blow the tugs figures.
This was purely just the vehicle, nothing attached to the tow vehicle. I just wanted to weigh it again, after going over weights of aftermarket accessories ive added to it, the previous weight just seemed to always come out high, especially after reading what other people had put on their vehicles and weighed in at.

I has the same issue with GoWeigh. A few years back we were doing a shake down trip with simulated payload, 3 months prior starting a 14mth lap of Oz. Heading home grand final the GoWeigh scales at Geelong put us a combined 300kg over loaded; the last thing we needed 3 mths before launch. Some very ruthless pruning using a set of scales, I stripped out 350kg. I already had a suspension upgrade in the Navara with 500kg constant load springs for work tools, and ditched that suspension for a Pedders GVM upgrade. After the pruning I headed up to the local Scorseby GoWeigh on East Link (cost me a bloody toll as well) and that scale put me only 100kg lighter, which was impossible. I rang them and were more interested in trying to convince me how wonderful GoWeigh was, how accurate down to 20kg I think from memory, than they were about the unexplained significant disparity between the sites. I wouldn't trust them again nor the company the runs them, and recommend others steer clear of them also. I just rely on the "free" VicRoad truck weigh-bridges now.

Yeah i have tomorrow off so i might trek up to braodford and use the free vicroads one up there on the hume hwy. Its my closest being in Epping.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This was purely just the vehicle, nothing attached to the tow vehicle. I just wanted to weigh it again, after going over weights of aftermarket accessories ive added to it, the previous weight just seemed to always come out high, especially after reading what other people had put on their vehicles and weighed in at.

Yeah i have tomorrow off so i might trek up to braodford and use the free vicroads one up there on the hume hwy. Its my closest being in Epping.
Good multi deck, under cover. Sweet

Reactions: Brente1982

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
No cops, but seems like the wallan BP weighbridge was pretty close and the Cooper St Epping one was way out.
The Vicroads Weighbridge at Broadford, which only goes in 20kg increments, had the car with just me in it this time as either 2880 or 2900kg. So seems like I need a GVM upgrade after all

Reactions: Bluey and Johnanbev

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Quite often cops there! it may cross one of their minds to enquire what you are doing away from home!
Ha, for clarity I haven't been there post apocalypse. The cops shouldn't ordinarily be there I wouldn't think, unless there hiding in there with their ultrasonic revenue canons. Cops don't ordinarily do routine weight intercepts unless your ar$e is dragging on the ground with sparks firing out behind. VicRoads heavy vehicles do the routine weight management, but that said Ive never actually ever seen anyone there, although the scalies almost ambushed @Bluey last Xmas, and frightened the bejesus out of him.

As for "unessential activity", I think you'll find all of the fines have been withdrawn that were issued to people out and about but following all the distancing requirements. There was actually precious little actual law to back them up.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Back in the day the police used to hang around weigh bridges to check log books as the scalies didn't have the authotity to write you up, some scalies would ring the police over anything. I had a copper start to write me up in Sydney on my way home one night but i told him QID didn't have daylight saving so the stamp in my log book is an hour out, he was so confused he told me to sleep at the weighbridge for 12 hours, 10 minutes later the old scailey came over and told me had gone for the night. The funny part is I only stopped at the Hawksbury Bridge to fill in my log book as I heard they were checking and with the hour removed it was impossible to make it from Brisbane in under 11 hours back then with the 80KPH limint in NSW at the time. Now if you want to talk about speeding fines or over weight fines I have some interesting stories lol ;)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had a similar argument at Coonabarabran, young fella was going to write me up for over hours, I had a stamp which I used saying Eastern Standard Time had a devil of a time explaining that my book was EST, QLD time not EDST sorted once the older bloke wandered over....later at a break I found an error 2 pages back, quickly fixed....

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
My licence was on the line, it was probably low on points at the time anyway fortunately the QLD fines didn't effect the NSW licence back then. When my licence expired I parked a fully laden truck in the police only park outside the Nambour police station and raced in to explain I only just realised it was out of date and I was working. The Sergent at the station said no worries and wrote me out a brand new QLD licence on the spot

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yes good old crusty con told me pull into the vic roads weigh bridge at Broadford to check everything out but without my GVM which is being done 25th of may i sort of knew i was over with my payload anyway pulled in only to it full of RTA cops im glad i saw them early and pulled straight back onto freeway without going in i nearly drove straight into the lions den didnt want to check my weight in front of them i quickly rang old @Crusty181 to tell him to stick his weigh bridge right up his troopys exurghst pipe next time i stop there i will be able to laugh at them as they check my car

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yes good old crusty con told me pull into the vic roads weigh bridge at Broadford to check everything out but without my GVM which is being done 25th of may i sort of knew i was over with my payload anyway pulled in only to it full of RTA cops im glad i saw them early and pulled straight back onto freeway without going in i nearly drove straight into the lions den didnt want to check my weight in front of them i quickly rang old @Crusty181 to tell him to stick his weigh bridge right up his troopys exurghst pipe next time i stop there i will be able to laugh at them as they check my car
Those turds refused to pay up the bottle of Bourbon they promised. The agreement was only to get you there, it was over to them to make you stop on the plates

Last edited:

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
I see, basically overnight, NSW has changed the rules around GVM upgrades. And i thought Victoria was the nanny state.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Funny I thought it was already there that you couldn't exceed axle loadings unless said axles had been upgraded it is with heavy vehicles, it certainly makes a lot of sense to have a GVM higher than the axle loadings doesn't it...NOT
Probably find the possibility to wear a fine for over on axle weights could still happen even with the increased GVM on earlier approvals, be interetsing.