Our new Outback 18.57-6

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi Ryno,

I was doing some work at Mitsub Lilydale and i mentioned to the guy in Spare Parts about a WDH for the Challenger and he looked at me like i was stupid. After telling him i had seen it on the website he did a bit of investigation and found them. He couldn't show me a picture of it or even give me the part number, as it didn't appear in the parts cat. The only thing he suggested was to buy it and see if it fitted. You would think a Mitsubishi Spare Parts person would know if it fitted or not.

Greg
Maybe jump on the Pajero Forum and look under the Challenger Sub Forum and see if anyone can help you there with a WDH, just a thought.

Reactions: Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Decided it was time to update my thread :D

We plan to spend the weekend doing some mods to the van in preparation for our next trip over the Melb cup wk/end.

Here's what we have so far... I've made some matching tie-backs for some of the curtains... put up some hooks... made cushion covers for the dinette seats... fitted some magazine/book holders... attached a washing line to the awning... bought an external table that attaches to the side of the van (to be fitted this wk/end)... also bought some yoga/camping mats which will line the inside of our bed area and protect it from the damp... we also have a shadecloth screen that came out of the CT, going to see if that will attach to the end of the awning as a privacy screen. If it doesn't we will buy one as we still don't have an annexe yet.

Photos to come :)

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Thanks Bigman for the quote from TJM Bundy for the airbags. Did you get a chance to shop around, or did you just go to TJM?

Cheers
Deano

I put airbags in the back of the Triton, best thing i ever did!! Car + Van sits level and reduces bounce. Downside is that it stiffens up rear end, not good for some but in our case sorted out daughters car sick problem, as the Triton used to bounce a bit on the open road.

FYI
Heavy Duty PolyAir airbags cost me $850 fitted at Bundy TJM and I have them running at 20PSI out of a possible 100PSI

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Good one Helen,
I will check them out too, when the time comes around. Did your caravan dealer install your electric brakes or did you go to the auto-electricians. Also how much is that little episode around? Tekonsha brand or HR?

Cheers
Deano

We got ours fitted by Pedders and it was around the $800 mark too.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
$800!!!....
Mine cost me around the $250 mark 3.5 years ago, and I still see them on Ebay for not much more these days.

(Or are you guys fitting them to leaf sprung vehicles?)

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
$800!!!....
Mine cost me around the $250 mark 3.5 years ago, and I still see them on Ebay for not much more these days.

(Or are you guys fitting them to leaf sprung vehicles?)

Actually, I just got corrected by hubby because I gave the wrong price before :sorry:. Apparently our airbags cost $500 for supply and fit and we have coil springs :)

Did your caravan dealer install your electric brakes or did you go to the auto-electricians. Also how much is that little episode around? Tekonsha brand or HR?

Cheers
Deano

We got our braking system done through an auto electrician, it was approx $300 for supply and fit. The brand is Tekonsha Prodigy model 901875.

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Photos of some of the modifications we have done (click on photos to enlarge);

Tie-backs for the curtains.
Curtains.JPG

Seat covers, made from towels with a waterproof backing underneath.
Seat_covers.JPG

Magazine holders in the kids bunks and hooks for their DVD players. Tie backs also on these curtains.
Bunks.JPG

Outdoor table (which was purchased from the recent camping show).
Table.JPG

Outdoor table.
Table1.JPG

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
I like your tie backs there Helen. Our son constantly moves ours whilst eating. Did you source the same material as curtains or just do a match up?
Can I also ask how much the table was?

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
I made the tie backs from the curtains for the bunks. They were too long so I cut some excess material from each end, that way I got a perfect match :)

The table is called a Life Style table, ours is 502mm x 943mm and it cost just over $300 (we got a show discount). The RRP is $325.
Here's a link, but lots of places sell them including eBay - http://nomadicsolutions.com.au/lifestyletable-catalogue
We found cheaper ones around but hubby wanted one that attached to the side of the van as some of them required a hole to be cut, so be careful of that.

Reactions: Four of us

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Hi Helen, all looks fantastic, may we ask where you got the magazine holders from, they look great and must be very worthwhile.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I really like that table. So that one doesn't require cutting into te side of the van?
How does it attach, just with screws?

Cheers,
Matty

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Hi Helen, all looks fantastic, may we ask where you got the magazine holders from, they look great and must be very worthwhile.

We bought them at the recent Melb Leisurefest show from Award RV and they have a website; http://www.awardrv.com.au

I really like that table. So that one doesn't require cutting into te side of the van?
How does it attach, just with screws?

It's actually attached with pop rivets that come supplied (so you just need a gun). It only took about 10-15 mins to fit :)

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Just came back from a long weekend stay in Ballarat at the Goldfilelds Big4. It was a nice park but the sites were quite small.
Last time that we went away (to Bellarine) the weather was very wet and we had the issue of a wet canvas and bedding. So we bought some 1cm thick foam matting and cut it to make interior walls inside our bed area. We had some rain again this weekend and the foam worked a treat, it also kept out the cold and noise too. Here's a pic;

024.JPG

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We also used anti flappers on the awning this time and 1 of the awning clips (that came from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280760380513#ht_753wt_1177 ) with a guy rope attached. Kept the awning nice and firm when the wind picked up a bit, you could see the awning on the van behind us flapping about a whole lot more than ours. We also have a privacy screen for the awning but didn't have the room to put that up this time.

Off to Inverloch in another 4 weeks' time so hopefully the sites will be bigger and we can set it all up better.

026.JPG

Reactions: Jennymay

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Helen some great ideas you have. I thought you may like to know you can buy the decals for you van from Jayco and cut out to place across your outdoor table. We are going to do the same and asked Jayco and they said you just buy the decals for you van, Too easy. Jenny