Our new Outback 18.57-6

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
I can't believe it's been sitting on our nature strip since we picked it up... but due to work commitments etc we haven't been able to get away yet. But we have just about set everything up inside, and we also got some new licensed sleeping bags for the kids and a removable bed rail for our 2 year old's bunk which fits nicely.

Drum roll... we are heading off to Toora tourist park at the beginning of sept for a couple of nights, it's approx a 2 hour drive so that will give us a good idea of how well she tows. We're all very excited and I'll post some pics after the trip :)

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hello - Are we There Yet

Congrats on the new van!

I am too looking at upgrading to one of these 18.57-9 vans, but I am a bit cautious because of it's weight. Which brings me to my question. How does your Challenger go towing the new Hotel on wheels? :eyebrows:I have a Mitsubishi Pajero SWB and having a towing capacity of 2500Kg I am hoping it will cope.

Skip

WA

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
I am too looking at upgrading to one of these 18.57-9 vans, but I am a bit cautious because of it's weight. Which brings me to my question. How does your Challenger go towing the new Hotel on wheels? :eyebrows:I have a Mitsubishi Pajero SWB and having a towing capacity of 2500Kg I am hoping it will cope.

Skip

WA

Hiya Skip,

That's a very good question and I'll be able to let you know the answer after this weekend as we are heading off to Toora which is a 2 hour trip :)
But towing back from the dealers (approx 40 mins) went fine. The towing capacity is debatable on the Challenger, depending on who you speak to :shocked: EG some reports say it's 2500kg and some say 3000kg. The tare of our van is 2050kg so we will be very close to 2500kg when fully loaded up. The 18.57-9 is slightly heavier because it has the expanda beds at each end so I think you will definitely be on your limit.

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We're back from our shakedown trip and had a FANTASTIC time away. The new van really is like a hotel on wheels lol.

The challenger towed pretty well, it was a bit gutless on the big hills though. We averaged 18L/100k on the way there (towing in 4WD) and on the way home it was 15L/100K towing in 2WD.

Hubby is getting airbags fitted to the rear suspension as the car dropped by 100mm with the van on the back.

Next trip is at the end of the month to Bellarine :D

Here's a couple of pics, we had an ensuite site which was very convenient ;)

DSC00928.JPG

DSC00930.JPG

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Thanks for the link, hubby has looked at all the options and decided to go with the airbag suspension for now. Will let you know how it goes after that's done :)

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Thanks for the link, hubby has looked at all the options and decided to go with the airbag suspension for now. Will let you know how it goes after that's done :)
I put airbags in the back of the Triton, best thing i ever did!! Car + Van sits level and reduces bounce. Downside is that it stiffens up rear end, not good for some but in our case sorted out daughters car sick problem, as the Triton used to bounce a bit on the open road.

FYI
Heavy Duty PolyAir airbags cost me $850 fitted at Bundy TJM and I have them running at 20PSI out of a possible 100PSI

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I put airbags in the back of the Triton, best thing i ever did!! Car + Van sits level and reduces bounce. Downside is that it stiffens up rear end, not good for some but in our case sorted out daughters car sick problem, as the Triton used to bounce a bit on the open road.

FYI
Heavy Duty PolyAir airbags cost me $850 fitted at Bundy TJM and I have them running at 20PSI out of a possible 100PSI

Best thing I ever did was install airbags on the rear of the Pajero, Trust me you won't regret it!

Skip

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Van looks great!

Maybe you might want to try a weight distribution hitch to take of some of the weight on the back of the tug and transfer it to the front of the 4x4. See link below this might help you out.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/311-WDH-Length

Tow Safe

Skip

Hi Skip

The main reason we are looking at Air Bags (First) instead of a WDH is the Challengers Factory Towbar is mounted under the Bumper bar. The Hayman Reece WDH can't slid intothe receiver as there is a metal plate on the back of the receiver stopping it from hitting the spare wheel. The only way we can use a WDH is to remove the Factory T/Bar and replace it with the H/R unit through the bumperbar, then buy a 600lb WDH.

Greg

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I am sure that the easy lift do a extended tow bar tongue which might give you enough length, so therefor it might clear the back of the spear tyre maybe. It might be worth checking it out.

Try the links below and hopfuly these might :help:you out!

http://caravanspareparts.com.au/extra-hilow-shank-inch-suit-eaz-lift-hitch-p-10968.html

http://caravanspareparts.com.au/hilow-shank-10inch-suit-eaz-lift-hitch-p-10960.html

http://caravanspareparts.com.au/towing-kits-parts-towing-kits-c-51_1001_435.html

Skip

Ryno

Hi Greg

You may or may not be aware of this but Mitsubishi make a WDH to fit the standard tow bars. I have a 2011 Triton and have just ordered one (pick it up tomorrow) I don't know much about them and I cant seem to find much info from Google either, tho I thought I would stick with factory for warranty reasons.
If you decided to get a WDH you might consider them. I can let you know how mine fits tomorrow tho I dont have my panda yet to truly test it on.

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Greg has enquired about a WDH at Mitsubishi but the dealer was very vague and couldn't give any information on it. If you have the part number or more info, that would be great.

For Skip - here are some pics of the existing tow bar, you can see how fitting an extended tongue isn't an option at present, due to the plate fitted on the back of the towbar (due to the location of the spare wheel under the car).

DSC00935.JPG

DSC00937.JPG

DSC00938.JPG

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hey Greg & Helen

I reckon you could get someone to make an after market tow bar hitch for your Challenger no probs. I would go down to your local tow bar dealer and tell then that you want a longer entry point for your tow bar tongue to go inside. I know that over here in Perth you can buy that size tow bar tounge (sleave) and then attach that to the existing tow bar hitch on your Challenger with a bit of grinding and some 15mm plate then presto!

The place where I get all my metal from over here in Perth are not allowed to sell the the metal square tubing as towbar tongue tubing due to legalities. But I know all of the tow bar makers in Perth buy their square tubing to suit tow bar tounges from this supplier. I am sure if you go to a tow bar place in Victoria one of the guys over there should be able to fabricate something for you at a price of course. If I was doing it for myself I think that I could fix the problem for around $100 to $200 dollars max. Labour excluded of course

What I failed to mention is, you would need to lengthen the sleeve towards the rear of the 4x4 and then you can put a longer after market hitch on.

I hope I have helped you and not confussed you more

As the ad says "LOVE THAT CAR"

Skip

Ryno

Hi Helen,
I had the same problem with my Dealer so I rang mitsu parts at gold coast (0755616143) and the guy there was very helpful, like he said to me you need to supply your vin number (or just rego) and they search for the right factory WDH for your vehicle, that being said I have the Triton and they may not even do one for the Challenger? cant hurt to ask tho i guess (even if it is to just get a part number).
Also I have used the help number in the mitsu manual (1300 13 12 11) and they very helpful, they would def know what is the correct system for your vehicle.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Personally I would be doing the WDH before the airbags. The whole purpose of a WDH is in the name, Weight Distribution Hitch. That 100mm sag in the rear end when you hook up means that you have taken that weight off the front axle (and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Challenger when in 2WD front wheel driven?) which does your steering and braking. The airbags don't bring that weight back onto the front wheels, just stiffen the rear.

The ideal combo would be to do both.

Is there a way that the plate on the back of the towbar can be removed around the hitch receiver to allow a WDH to slide further through? It looks like it would only need a few mm's

Cheers,
Matty

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Hi Matty,

The Challenger is Rear wheel driven in 2WD, and the pictures don't show the spare wheel that goes behind the plate as we had a puncture at the time. But the Jayco Bayswater had a look when we picked up the van and said that for a WDH we would need to change the towbar.
One of our friends has the same van and they put airbags in and now get no sag and their van tows perfect.
But we will probably look at the Mitsubishi Version.

Greg

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Hi Ryno,

I was doing some work at Mitsub Lilydale and i mentioned to the guy in Spare Parts about a WDH for the Challenger and he looked at me like i was stupid. After telling him i had seen it on the website he did a bit of investigation and found them. He couldn't show me a picture of it or even give me the part number, as it didn't appear in the parts cat. The only thing he suggested was to buy it and see if it fitted. You would think a Mitsubishi Spare Parts person would know if it fitted or not.

Greg