Our 2013 17.56.2 Outback

geejay13

Jul 12, 2011
Australia
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok here's hoping this all works.
Got the new rig in March, it ticked all the boxes for us space, the feeling of still 'camping', ease of set up, comfort and the all important price. We visited the yard many times and planned our personalisation of the panda. Jayco agreed to remove the bunks and replace it with a bench with a washing machine hidden away at the back end (happy wife.......)we also put some led down lights over the bench and the cafe diner, then added some suction towel rails, some shelves in the robe to make a pantry and a tv bracket so I can watch the footy

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Washing machine bench...That's mental !! Love it

And, you have the best profile pic ;-) think I've stood in that exact spot !

geejay13

Jul 12, 2011
Australia
Next was the spare wheel problem. Can't believe Jayco 'designers' thought consumers would be OK with taking the gas bottles off to replace a flat! We specified 4.5kg bottles and still couldn't get the spare out. So I removed both bottles and regulator, welded on 2 pieces of 50x50 galv sq tube to support a gullwing toolbox(which I scored for an absolute bargain) welded another steel tube 76x38 laid flat behind the 50x50 and welded a wind down chain mechanism purchased from a wreckers, for more than the tool box!! This can be worked using a long bar similar to what we use for the drop jacks. Result gas bottles enclosed out of sight and an accessible spare wheel with the bonus of some space for man stuff. The added weight is less than the original spare cradle which came in at 12kgs when I removed itimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg More pics to come bsafe

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Next was the spare wheel problem. Can't believe Jayco 'designers' thought consumers would be OK with taking the gas bottles off to replace a flat! We specified 4.5kg bottles and still couldn't get the spare out. So I removed both bottles and regulator, welded on 2 pieces of 50x50 galv sq tube to support a gullwing toolbox(which I scored for an absolute bargain) welded another steel tube 76x38 laid flat behind the 50x50 and welded a wind down chain mechanism purchased from a wreckers, for more than the tool box!! This can be worked using a long bar similar to what we use for the drop jacks. Result gas bottles enclosed out of sight and an accessible spare wheel with the bonus of some space for man stuff. The added weight is less than the original spare cradle which came in at 12kgs when I removed itView attachment 14139 View attachment 14140 View attachment 14142 View attachment 14141 View attachment 14143 More pics to come bsafe
Great stuff mate, love the mods great toolbox! The bench in place of the bunks is a ripper too.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
What a brilliant idea, Love the extra bench space and washing machine.
Now that is one unique Expanda!

geejay13

Jul 12, 2011
Australia
Guys my lady takes all the credit for the washer bench. I wanted to buy 16.43.3 ( would of been plenty big enough for the two of us...... My male thinking) but MrsGJ just loves her washing... She really does and it was on her list of 5 most important wants/ needs so we had to go for a 17 series because Jayco wouldn't fit one in the 16 series. Having lived in the panda she was absolutely 100% right and his van is right for us for the foreseeable future

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Clever wife you have yourself geejay13! When I think about how much I spend/waste on washine machines and dryers when away.......... Really wish I had a washing machine in the Expanda, it would pay for itself in no time!

geejay13

Jul 12, 2011
Australia
OK, for Burnsy and others.I found the table Jayco provide to be a little bit big or maybe thats me! So I thought I would make a slightly narrower table to replace the original. I purchased a new table assembly and used a piece of 17 mm AA quality ply, left over from making go- carts for the grandies at Christmas. I really didn't have a plan but didn't want to drill any un necessary holes so thought around the original table fixings. So the table is 550 mm wide and 1110mm long. After cutting and sanding the ply and then fixing the table I came to the stark conclusion the table was still too big to comfortably slouch and read or watch tv. Doh! So I thought I would cut the table into three sections like on some of the more expensive vans around . Here's some pics. Dimensions and method available as well BsafeView attachment 14158 View attachment 14160 View attachment 14161 View attachment 14162

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
GJ13, wow that is great table/ shelf set up :first: . You know we had our house built by a mainstream builder and we altered the plan to suit our needs/liking. The next season of new homes released from that same builder they had our alerted plan as their new design.

So watch out for this to become an option for expandas now. Cheers Pace.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Great mod. I've also found the table is "too big" but surprisingly it only occurs where I sits it. Not where any of the tin lids sit. The table looks to be even and square.......must be some sort optical illusion I think,;)

Apr 18, 2013
Moranbah
Hi GJ13
love what you have done with the spare wheel and toolbox! Have you got a standard drawbar or an extended one?

Next was the spare wheel problem. Can't believe Jayco 'designers' thought consumers would be OK with taking the gas bottles off to replace a flat! We specified 4.5kg bottles and still couldn't get the spare out. So I removed both bottles and regulator, welded on 2 pieces of 50x50 galv sq tube to support a gullwing toolbox(which I scored for an absolute bargain) welded another steel tube 76x38 laid flat behind the 50x50 and welded a wind down chain mechanism purchased from a wreckers, for more than the tool box!! This can be worked using a long bar similar to what we use for the drop jacks. Result gas bottles enclosed out of sight and an accessible spare wheel with the bonus of some space for man stuff. The added weight is less than the original spare cradle which came in at 12kgs when I removed itView attachment 14139 View attachment 14140 View attachment 14142 View attachment 14141 View attachment 14143 More pics to come bsafe