Off we go!

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
We had issues with our van roof leaking, when i contacted Jayco (Van was 3yrs old) the asked if the roof sealant had been maintained every 12 months. I replied i can go to the hardware down the road and buy sealant with a 25 year warranty and you want yours checked and replaced every 12 months! I then got 2 tubes of sealant from the repairer replacing my awning and replaced the roof sealant. The old sealant just went to dust when i scrapped it out. The repairer said not to use sikaflex and showed me a van that was 12 months old (Aluminium) the sikaflex had changes the colour of the paint considerably. I have always used sikaflex but have changed mine over to the sealant (silastic) that he gave me.

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
I am more then happy to check the roof sealants every 12 months to ensure that the seal is still good, but when the van is only just short of 3 months old, I am a little concerned! I have sealed it up now, and I am pretty happy with the seal that I now have, but will check it every April to ensure no more water leaks! Have used sikaflex on the roof, not fused if it alters the paint up in the centre of the roof as I don't know anyone tall enough to see there, but I will definately keep that in mind for areas where people will see it!

damofw2s

Aug 26, 2014
Our new Expanda 14.4 arrived home last Monday. First shower of rain and we have a puddle on the floor next morning... via the sunroof.

I've spent the arvo checking the sealant around that hatch and I can't find a spot where it might have come away to allow water to get through.

Also checked if it was the little latches either side of the sunroof lid that was letting rain in somehow. Second shower of rain this arvo and in comes the water again.

Now the vinyl on the ceiling is bubbling where the water has managed to pool in pockets. I've squeezed that out as much as I can for now to try and avoid further damage to the timber boards and vinyl.

That leaves me wondering if water is getting another way and simply finding the lowest point at which to escape which is the sunroof...

Seriously Jayco for $40k we bought one of these so that we don't have to feel like we're back in a tent...

Thanks for the posts above - sorry to hear that I'm not alone on this one...

damofw2s

Aug 26, 2014
We had no problem while the cover was on and I'm pleased we gave it a water test at home before travelling with the van. The cover is back on the van tonight as we are expecting more showers over the next few days. Will keep you posted on how Jayco handle this one - email has been sent this arvo. I know the van won't be leaving their workshop next time until I've spent five minutes pouring water all over it in their yard and it will want to be bone dry inside when I'm done with their hose or the van won't be going home.

We are meant to be going away for our first trip during this lot of school holidays but that may be on hold so that we don't do more harm than good to the van. I'd dread to think how much water would get inside travelling at 80-100km an hour and hit a good storm...

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had the same issue with our skylight @damofw2s
Took it to the local warranty agent and he knew exactly whet the problem was.... Apparently the plastic used for the skylights doesn't stick to the sikaflex (or whatever used). Skylight was removed, plastic "roughed up" with sandpaper, sikaflex applied and refitted.

next trip after repairs it p!55ed down (as per normal) but we ended up dry inside :)

Reactions: bigcol