Off we go!

Nagga's

Sep 23, 2013
The Sunny Pilbara WA
Last day in the Bay and it's raining but I did meet my first Expandasdownunder member, nice to meet you @paulie484 and thanks heaps for my sticker
image.jpg
image.jpg

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Nice to meet you too :)

Wow there was heaps of rain..looks like we rolled out just in time

Just watched a vid of they kayak crew kayaking down main st ! Facebook Ningaloo Kayak Adventures

What a bugger about leaks :-( warranty fix ? Not that you can easily get to Perth...I'd be ringing someone Monday..that's crap

Wouldve been good to catch up longer..maybe another time we both up there

Hope ya trip as ok and as u said lesson learnt with dog

Safe travels and maybe catchya soon

Reactions: Nagga's

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
Okay what's the best sealant to use please?
Depends on what is amiss when you have a look! I generally use Sikaflex on my vans when I have had to do things, but I will have to do some investigation, before I can know for sure! I need to find the source of the leak first!

Nagga's

Sep 23, 2013
The Sunny Pilbara WA
I am so not happy!! I could see it slowly dripping then it would pool and after about 5 mins it would stream like in the photo! Lucky I am little and can fit my head and shoulders through the skylight, had a quick look but can't see where it would be coming from and we have a few days of rain coming starting tonight!! Yes I will be ringing Jayco first thing, pity we live 15 hrs away!!! But I still love my Expanda :)

Reactions: paulie484

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If it is a sealing issue and you can't get to a registered warranty agent I would use marine grade sikaflex. If it is a mis-alignment issue maybe park under cover or throw a tarp over it until you can get it sorted.

Not a good thing to happen when so far away from the dealer :(

ejboyd

Oct 20, 2011
We have been having the same issue with our new Expanda. When I spoke to the service agent he said that he has seen it a bit lately and that they would need to see if it is a leak in the sunroof or in one of the corners of the roof and that it is exiting through the sunroof. Anyway we are booked in on the 15th may for our first service so hopefully it will be sorted before we head off for 4 1/2 mths on the 29th of may. We have also noticed cracks in 3 of our 4 windows. At the tops of the windows and most visible when open, so worth checking

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
I want and did some investigation work on mine this morning, and found that the water is leaking under the hatch. I found the sealant used hadn't held on the 2 front corners of the hatch cover, and being concerned that winter is upon us, didn't want to wait to get it in to a service agent. Instead I went down to Bunnings and picked up a couple of tubes of Sikaflex Marine grade, in white. Home from bunnings I set about removing the hatch, which was a case of the inside popping off, then undoing the 12 screws (3 per side), and popping the top of the hatch out. From here I cleaned the remaining sealant off the hatch and the roof (by standing on a crate in the van and standing up throught the hatch hole), and found in numerous locations it hadn't held. After giving the areas a good clean, I proceeded to reseal the hatch and then pulled down into place in the roof. Re-installing the internal piece and the 12 screws, I proceeded out of the van onto a ladder, and added a further bead of sealant around the outer edge of the hatch! Quite difficult to reach off a ladder, especially with the wind up aerial on one side and the solar panel on the other, but have hopefully sealed it up for good!

Cheers Ben

Nagga's

Sep 23, 2013
The Sunny Pilbara WA
Thanks Ben, thats exactly what I'm in the process off doing! I did get the Marine grade Sikalfex, will I need 2 tubes? I have pulled the inside one off and have the next one off with the 12 screws but it is now going to be raining as of tomorrow for a few days >:( so have put the van cover on until it clears up! So you put the Sikaflex under the lip of the hatch and then around then outside hatch? Is there a trick to getting the old (3 months old) sealant off, do I need to scrape it or your sealant remover? Sorry for all the questions but just want to get it right the first time!!!

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
In the end I only needed one tube of sikaflex. I popped the hatch out, and used a scraper, don't use a metal one as it will risk cutting into the roof fibreglass! I used a plastic scraper to scrape all the old sealant off, not that it was on hard just easiest way of getting it clean, and then gave it a good clean off. A lot of the sealant pealed off fairly easy as my van was only built at end of last year, start of this year too.