O'Brien's 17.56-2HL OB

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Hi all, did do a thread in member introductions http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/first-caravan-17-56.4552/ but thought that I would continue in this section.
Our first caravan, did a fair bit of research plus one of our friends have a 17.56 non OB. We're from Newcastle but brought it second hand privately from Sydney, it's a Dec 11 17.56-2HL OB.
The day we drove to Sydney is the day we put a deposit on it, inside is really clean, outside just needed a good clean and polish. Picked it up the weekend before the Australia Day long weekend.
Photos below are when we looked at it.
20140113_191226.jpg

20140113_190804.jpg

The photos below are when I went and collected it.
20140116_111443.jpg

20140116_111546.jpg

Reactions: Flossymk1

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Next couple of photos are its first trip away with us on the Australia Day long weekend. I had an extra day and extended it to a four day long weekend:cheer2:
We spent a week cleaning and polishing it top to bottom. I even had a brass coated wire brush on an angle grinder cleaning the frame so it was almost like new.
Only had one issue that we found that weekend was the gas smell coming from the fridge when gas was turned on. Pulled the vents off the back and found a lose fitting which we tightened, smell gone.
20140125_113035.jpg

20140125_113105.jpg

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
First job after the Australia Day long weekend was to check and clean brakes and repack the bearings.
Also lubed up all the springs and connections to stop the awful noises they were making.
Also cleaned all the frame with the wire brush ad painted the drums again looks like new again, didn't get an after shot though :frusty:
20140131_170238.jpg

Reactions: relgate

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Looks good @Neil, what did you camp in before the Expanda?
Trusty ozTrail tent under a 7m x 9m tarp. I loved the set up, heaps of room, never got wet but setup time with all the stuff we accumulated over the last 6 years was a killer. But it was in style instantaneous gas hot water shower, BBQ, gas cook top, etc, etc.
Here's a photo on a cramped site with back edge of tarp folded down, normally the tent would be back another 1.5m back. Kept it all just in case.
P9304277.JPG
@Neil Gday and welcome to the forum. Van looks good behind the Kluger. How does it tow like? Pace.
Pace, this is my second Kluger. They have been good, never broken down, always pushed them, this one has had raised king springs in it for when we went to Fraser the year before. Towed the trailer on/off fairies, up the beach which was pretty easy, into the camp site and then all over Fraser, did inland tracks to lake McKenzie and Wabby around indian head to get to champagne pools, never good bogged . We were there about 10 days in total and drove every day except one rest day. Not sure i would take Fraser on year in year out with a Kluger but did great. Photo is waiting for the fairy at inskip with the trailer for all the camping gear.
Oh and yes it tows the van fine, won't be able to travel with water in the tanks and have to travel light but with the van don't need to take many things. Current Kluger is due to be replaced in Nov this year so will look at something with a higher rated tow capacity, bloody Toyota and conservative tow capacities. In the states the Kluger is rate to 5000 pounds so approx 2260kg
P9186706.JPG

Last edited:

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @Neil and Welcome to the forum.
I'm curious what type of fuel consumption you are getting from the Kluger?
As for weights, Toyotas website says max tow limit for a KXS current model is 2000kgs. I think it is going to be very interesting to see what happens with these "conservative" tow weights when the toyotas are all imported.
Also with your weights, i reckon the combination of the Kluger and 17foot van will attract the attention of those that weigh. They seem to be pulling more and more caravans over these days to weigh them. Just my opinion.
Looks good though sitting in front of the van. :)
Ants

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Looks good @Neil ! I was thinking the same thing @Antman as my brother tows his 16-49-1 touring model with a Kluger and thought a 17ft outback might be a bit weighty?

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Yeah guys it will be rite up on the weight limit, as mention above it'll be traveling with no fluids on board and lite on everything else for now. At this stage no big trips planned so traveling light will be easy. Kluger tows it easy. Initial take off from stand still is a bit of strain but once going all good. Raised ands stiffer kings springs no doubt help with towing. Springs are also still progressive rate so around town still rides nice even though they are stiffer rating. On the next outing I planned to get it weighted to see where we were at.
Will be interesting to see what happens with next Kluger with it coming out of the states instead off Japan. This car is due for replacement Nov this year and waiting to see official specs of new Kluger before I decide what to do, been great cars I have no complaints.

Reactions: Antman and 17triton

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Had another short trip away week end just gone. Stayed at a caravan park called Middle Rock, towards Nelson Bay Way.
Being renovated but mostly completed. We stayed there 12 months ago and came back again. Weather was a bit wet but a bad day camping it still better than a good day at work :encouragement:
IMG_559938058212429.jpeg

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
After our second trip away the mods are now starting. As we had a bit of weather while away we didn't actually get wet but you could feel the that the edges of the beds in some spots were damp, nothing bad but we will be adding bed ends to the van. Going to get the Holiday Annexes ones as i can drop the van to them and they can fit, only about half hour from home. that will be done sometime next week.
the other mod for now is to change the internal speakers, got some 4 way Sony's from supercheap on sale so they will most likely go in tonight
20140302_202602.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Just got back from another quick weekend away.
This time with our holiday annex bed ends and had a bit of a storm Saturday night to give them a test, all good no damp bed ends this time:cheer2:
20140314_184055.jpg
20140314_183927.jpg
20140314_184025.jpg

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Had a chance to spend a bit more time on the van today.
Even though the photo dosen't really show it tidyed up the plumping from all the ups and downs and also scrubbed as mush of the red dust they was stuck to the pipe work. Need to soend some more time on the frame work which i might attack next weekend.
20140323_182331.jpg

Then got stuck into the stereo and tidyed up the poor wiring in there including adding the dedicated power wire so i don't have to re-tune/re-set stations and settings each time we switch power off.
From this
20140323_164842.jpg

to this
20140323_180817.jpg

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Well peoples haven't had to much to report on but been using the van as much as possible.
Got the gas smell back again so took it to get looked at and turned out that the turn dial for the gas/240V/12V is meant to have a greased seal around it and it was completely dry. Also had a leak under the van as well at one of the ball valve isolaters.
Dropped van off at storage and did the walk around check and noticed that the rear passenger tyre look to be sitting a little different, got down and inspected and have a broken spring. Didn't take any photos but attached photo from the net is very much what has happened. Luckily when it broke it has managed to sit down on the next leaf below so no damage, Lucky or what!
Broken Spring.jpg

Now have another job to do replace all the suspension. not going to risk it will go through all suspension top to bottom and replace everything.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Even though the photo dosen't really show it tidyed up the plumping from all the ups and downs and also scrubbed as mush of the red dust they was stuck to the pipe work. Need to soend some more time on the frame work which i might attack next weekend.
Looks like your van did the "Big Lap" in its previous life given it had the red dust and the busted spring, loose gas connects etc...Just wondering how the rest of the van has held up? ie cupboard doors etc?

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
This rest of the van is awesome, the previous owner did a really good job of keeping it clean plus we cleaned it top to bottom when we got it. As mentioned above I took to the frame with a wire brush on a grinder and it's about 90% done, cleaning around those hose, flanges, etc is a real pain it the ass.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Looks like your van did the "Big Lap" in its previous life given it had the red dust and the busted spring, loose gas connects etc...Just wondering how the rest of the van has held up? ie cupboard doors etc?

Also just seen on my email your comment was much longer that is in the thread.
Fixed the on the limit towing and brought a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Reactions: Soaring

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Also just seen on my email your comment was much longer that is in the thread.
Fixed the on the limit towing and brought a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Yep, saw your updated sig just after I posted it, so edited the original...:) Much better overall package IMHO.