Electrical No ceiling lights on 17.56.2

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Smergen,

Now that you have lights (most of them) - how about a sleep out in the van to christen it. Our kids insisted we have dinner (fish & chips) and a sleep the first night we got it home!

Know how frustrated you feel chasing the light issue - chasing a 12v circuit at the moment - no spark at stove or oven light, no toilet flush, not rear bed lamp, no external light over external shower.

Cheers,

Ro

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@ROnEM ,
I saw your thread about your issue and read it with interest hoping to find some hints for my problem. I'll keep an eye on it, as I know, buying second hand and without the ability to drop in at a Jayco dealer (due to proximity and financial reasons) I'll be fixing most of out issues myself too!

We're waiting for this big bunch of crappy weather to pass us over at the moment, and then we're going to pop the roof and really get into the nuts and bolts of the van. I think I might start up a thread about our van somewhere on here, where I should be able to detail my work and mods and ask for advice. But I reckon if I throw the oppurtunity at the kids to sleep out there, they'd jump at the chance! :)

Reactions: ROnEM

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Mate its normal globe type yeah. If you need spares swap em over from known working light. If it the light assembly itself,dont buy one l got spares on the shelf in the garage,your welcome to it. Cheers Pace.

Did the test, took a good globe, and it didn't make a difference. So I reckon that the fitting might be cactus... which is disappointing. But then... I've seen a few people talk about LED fittings... perhaps a way forward in the future to save battery life...

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
As it is all 12V there is no legal issues with doing it yourself, there are a couple of ways to do the change over, the easiest is to just get the inserts that replace the bulbs and use the existing fittings or the other is to replace the whole light fitting as I have done in this thread http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/getting-ready-for-christmas-holidays.4154/#post-59447

My light fittings had melted plastic from the heat from the bulbs so I went whole hog. There is another member on the forum that has used the same fittings and made a spacer rather than cutting a larger gap in the ceiling.

Also go down to Jaycar and buy yourself a cheap multimeter, it pays to keep one in the van. With the bulb out you should measure 12V across the two wires going in to your light socket.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@icetechaus ... thanks for the great tips and links. I'll have a read through it tonight and go from there. Might have some weekend jobs ahead of me.

And the multimeter... top tip mate. I've got a really old dusty one in the shed, but I'm pretty sure now that's just a paper weight...