Electrical No ceiling lights on 17.56.2

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... Second noob question (after the trailer plug one)...

The ceiling lights in the van don't appear to be working. The lights on the range hood and the one on outside of the van work. But none of the ceiling lights come on.

I know there's the master switch on the wall next to the door and I have that on. I also have the battery switch down on the floor near the dinette on (confirmed that this controls the outside light). I haven't plug the van into the wall (give the weird socket connection on the van not fitting my extension cord) so just trying the battery.

Any ideas what I should be checking? Should the roof be popped up?

It has a redarc solar panel system if that makes a difference.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Solar panels in Vic dont work in winter. lol. Nah really feel for ya,got a new toy and something not right. Ceiling lighting power runs up the canvas directly opposite the entry door and that loom goes through the overhead cupboards down to Setec.
Checked fuses???

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep... that's kind of feeling... new toy, something basic amiss. It's all good, I'm sure it's something small, as it was working fine in both experiences. One was running off the battery/panel, the other off plug in the wall.

I did check the fuses, but I'll check again just to make sure.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Don`t mean to be silly but are they all just turned off at the lights? What about the lights in the bedends?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
OK... Second noob question (after the trailer plug one)...

I haven't plug the van into the wall (give the weird socket connection on the van not fitting my extension cord) so just trying the battery.

Apart from the fuse, I can't offer any advice on your lights but the "weird" socket connection on the van is a 15 Amp connection while your extension would be a 10 Amp. The 15 has a large earth pin which will not fit in the 10 socket. You need a new extension with a 15 Amp socket.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Don`t mean to be silly but are they all just turned off at the lights? What about the lights in the bedends?

Nothing silly whatsoever... I did check all that. Like I said, I'm a noob, and the manual and paperwork I got with the van is pretty light on.

Apart from the fuse, I can't offer any advice on your lights but the "weird" socket connection on the van is a 15 Amp connection while your extension would be a 10 Amp. The 15 has a large earth pin which will not fit in the 10 socket. You need a new extension with a 15 Amp socket.

Thanks for that. The bloke who sold it to me did throw in an extension cord that fits the van, but the bigger earth plug then doesn't fit most of my wall sockets... I assume I'll need an adaptor of sorts?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... Update... went outside to check the fuses on @Pace 's advice. Pulled them all out, looked at them, all good, put them back in. Checked the master switch again, the master light switch and tried the light... essentially the IT version of "turn it off, turn it on".

No dice.

Tried another light further along... BINGO! Then the next... BINGO. Bed ends... BINGO. But the main light over the dinette still no good. Check bulbs... look intact. So another head scratch...

I might leave it all to the weekend when I've got some good extended time to throw at it. Then hit you all up with more noob questions... :)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Mate @Smergen is pretty much smack bang between us,if i bring the meat and snags you the slab and on his bbq reckon we could have our own 17ft get together.

@Pace and @17triton .... if you guys were keen, I'd happily put on the snags, meat and grog to have you give an experienced 1.01 over the van! I really hope we get the chance to catch up one day soon on an adventure.

Reactions: 17triton

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Mate its normal globe type yeah. If you need spares swap em over from known working light. If it the light assembly itself,dont buy one l got spares on the shelf in the garage,your welcome to it. Cheers Pace.

Reactions: 17triton

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Mate its normal globe type yeah. If you need spares swap em over from known working light. If it the light assembly itself,dont buy one l got spares on the shelf in the garage,your welcome to it. Cheers Pace.

Thanks mate, I'll do that tomorrow night as my nightly "caravan" inspection... :) That's where I go sit in it (previously in the dark) and just get excited as to where I might go... really appreciate it.