Journey Nick & Becks Journey 17.55-5sh

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Well after all the issues we had earlier with the caravan, we are getting ready to take it on a shakedown trip. I have started on the mods. First up a wireless reverse / driving camera

Attachments

• Reverse Camera.jpg
    Reverse Camera.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Reverse Camera 1.JPG
    Reverse Camera 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 272

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Power Box.JPG Power Box 1.JPG Installed a switch panel for charging phones, tablets etc. It has 3 Lighter sockets and separate switches to turn the TV and stereo on and off. All switches illuminate when on so you can easily see if its switched on.
Drain Mod.JPG Drain Mod 1.JPG
Next was to fix the drainage on the caravan to make it easier to connect and disconnect the drain hose and secure the drain pipes.

Rear Power.JPG Rear Power Wiring.JPG
I made and installed a rear power outlets at the rear of the caravan for hooking up stuff

Fuse Labels.JPG

Made a new label to correctly indicate what each fuse controls.

I will post more photos of the mods as I complete them. I want to install fridge cooling fans, front 12v sockets.
Cheers
Nick

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Thanks davmc.
I have done a few more mods to get ready for our first shakedown trip

Front Power Socket.JPG

Installed a new double 12 volt outlet under the front of the caravan

Under Bed 12v outlet.JPG

Installed a switched 12volt socket next to the rear bed

LPG Leak Detector.JPG

I also installed an LPG leak detector for safety. I have also installed a carbon monoxide alarm
More mods to come.
Cheers
Nick

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Today I added a permanent charger for the break away unit to keep the battery fully charged.

Breakaway Charger.JPG Breakaway Charger 1.JPG

I made a 2.1mm dc extension lead and connected it between the Break Away module and the plug in charger. Simple and I don't have to worry about the battery going flat.
Cheers
Nick

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Well we finally took our new caravan out for its first shakedown run to make sure everything works well. How fantastic is it to have a shower and toilet!. I am looking at how to stop the water splashing out the door when having a shower though.
The caravan towed really well behind the Ranger and was very smothe. I was amazed at how much smoother the duel axle is over the single axle. The drain mod worked really well as did the additional 12 volt electrics. The only issue we had was the air-conditioner dumping water onto the floor suddenly after 6 hours of running. It's booked in Saturday week to be looked at.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: FiveInAVan

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Today I added a permanent charger for the break away unit to keep the battery fully charged.

View attachment 36518 View attachment 36519

I made a 2.1mm dc extension lead and connected it between the Break Away module and the plug in charger. Simple and I don't have to worry about the battery going flat.
Cheers
Nick
I found the 12v charging lead hanging out of my breakaway yesterday and thought about doing what youve done. Is the charger an optional accessory ... i certainly didnt get one. Is it just a 12v 1amp charger ?....

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I found the 12v charging lead hanging out of my breakaway yesterday and thought about doing what youve done. Is the charger an optional accessory ... i certainly didnt get one. Is it just a 12v 1amp charger ?....

Didn't get one with our van either @Crusty181 but recently got one online from RV Parts Express.... The original chargers are 15V 1Amp max!

Reactions: Crusty181

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW

Hi Crusty181,
Mine came with the charger. I will take a photo of the charger for you if you want.
Cheers
Nick

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey @Bonners The rail can be bought from a caravan supply store (Got ours from local Jayco Dealer) along with mounting clips, screws, end stops and curtain runners. The rail is easy to bend by hand and can be straightened if you muck it up..... Learnt that one by experience :oops:

No need to drill holes for the screws as the ceiling material is easy enough to screw straight into.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Hey @Bonners The rail can be bought from a caravan supply store (Got ours from local Jayco Dealer) along with mounting clips, screws, end stops and curtain runners. The rail is easy to bend by hand and can be straightened if you muck it up..... Learnt that one by experience :oops:

No need to drill holes for the screws as the ceiling material is easy enough to screw straight into.
thx @dagree, job to get done b4 Christmas hols:)

Reactions: dagree

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I also did the screw on sullage pipe attachments a couple of years ago. Since we have spent most of our travels on highways or dry gravel roads. On our last trip we were diverted on to a gravel by pass road where they are repairing the big hole between Charlieville and Cunamulla. The place where the tanker blew up last year. And boy did it leave a hole.

Anyhow the by pass is a few K long and they are wetting it down to stop dust. The Ranger and StarCraft get lots of mud, and the screw on drain fittings were clogged with it. It took a good wash to get the mud and gravel out of the threads. So now I'm trying to work out are there plugs available to fit while travelling?