New Member, New Van On Order

Joves

May 9, 2019
Sydney
Well, it appears the van has arrived at the dealership. Received a much appreciated text from Rose, our sales rep (who has been awesome, I have to add) to advise that it arrived this morning and she kindly sent us a few pics.

Apparently just needs a few of the dealer supplied items, like Sirocco fans, etc. fitted plus a detail and then will be ready for pickup. Very exciting!
EB30EA6D-8F9E-425F-A126-1D08E9FCF677.jpeg659D79F9-3579-4F48-B71B-BBC77735C4AA.jpegF42C79FC-BAC5-46BB-AF0B-1FA74ECB8CDF.jpegF7B58E51-306B-4B26-9FC0-FD906A71710A.jpegDCDECDD2-8D25-40B3-BBC7-872317957294.jpegFDEEBC5C-4F23-4BB2-8A29-6908F63CCD72.jpegE2D133D4-3755-4FE4-AD5E-196857833DF7.jpegBDF6405D-2504-42B7-9DD9-9D90A4F94531.jpeg5B334FC3-46D6-4B58-997F-B7D712B5C2AD.jpeg17FB1371-A2AC-422E-9E47-C9B1AD9F5FD7.jpeg

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
2 x 160w panels will produce in perfect conditions around 7amps each panel, on an MPPT reg you would get around 8.5amps each panel. Solar is generally only producing for around 4 hours per day, give or take, through the middle part of the day. You panels will produce around 4 hours x 7 amps each panel, so around 56amps per day. Your fridge will consume around 4 amps per hour when its cycling, so over 24 hours at 50% it will consume 48amps. These figures are environmently adjustable ie less sun less solar, theres more sun up north and in summer because its higher in the sky, cool weather the fridge cycles less etc etc. But on average both of your panels will need pretty consistent sun just to supply the fridge, and leave not much for other requirements. To put that into perspective we had 1 x 150w panel on the roof and our fridge is gas. In a run of terrific weather we didnt quiet generate enough for our consumption, on the odd occasion we had crap weather the batteries took a huge thumping.

You could ask for bigger panels now, or see how you go and do it later. You could add more panels later, swap the 160w panels for larger panels or supplement with portable panels after you see how you go.

One other important issue is deep cycle batteries do not like to be drawn down, the less you take out of the them the longer they will serve you. If you continually take most of the charge out of them they will die relatively quickly, keep them up around 80 or 90% on a smart charger and they will last you many many years. The kind of general effective use v life span advice you often hear is dont drawn down past 50%. This isnt a magic number and is in effect reducing the batteries lifespan but its giving you the best compromise. In practical terms you have 100amps of usable power in 2 x 100amp batteries. How a deep cycle battery isnt like a bucket of water, in that it has 100amps just sitting there. Plug in large consumption devices and you want get anywhere near the 100amps, very low draw devices and youll get more. Im very careful with my batteries and one of them is 10 years old

The solar regulator Jayco supply is a cheaper PWM style, and an MPPT reg will in most circumstances get a little more out of the panels. The MPPT regs are more expensive but are easy to swap out; 2 x panel wires and 2 x battery wires

Shading is also a killer for a solar panel, just a hand print size shadow on only one of the cells can virtually knock the entire panel out. That means you will mostly be camping in full sun all the time, so parking the van with the long kerb side wall facing NW will shade your awning side in the arvo. When thats not possible we have 2 x blanket panels with long cables we can throw out on the ground.

There are some very clever people on this forum that have a depth of knowledge on this solar/battery stuff that is matched by their generosity. So ask away

You are doing pretty good yourself @Crusty181 !! You are right up with it, so keep going. Not a step wrong so far for someone who feigns ignorance of electrics and solar.

Reactions: DRW and Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Crusty,

Mate, I can’t tell you how appreciative I am that you picked up on the original fridge situation from my initial post. I would have been none the wiser and we would have wound up with a no doubt great fridge, but a very limiting one at the same time. You also saved me almost $1500, so that’s always a plus!! Cheque is in the mail...

You’ve further explained the fridge situation perfectly and I’m now confident that the 171L 3-way will be absolutely fine. I’ll definitely invest in a portable Engel type fridge for the grog, as that’s clearly the one that will be opened and closed regularly!! I’m imagining their 12 volt draw on power is reasonable when not plugged into 240 volt mains? I think we’ll likely invest in a 90 watt foldable solar mat, which might come in handy for other things other than powering just the portable fridge. Are there any special wiring requirements to connect this type of thing to the van for extra charging of the batteries when parked in not ideal sunny positions?

Thanks again!

Aaron
Hi there @Joves and welcome to the forum. Just a few more bits of info on heat absorption fridges. To operate at full potential, the fridge (in the van) MUST be LEVEL. The requirements are within 3 degrees of horizontal side to side as you look at door (drawbar to rear) and within 6 degrees of vertical (across the van wheel to wheel). They will operate slightly outside these limits, but you should ALWAYS try to get within the limits. Continued operation outside these limits will cause a build up of crystals in the interior tubing which restricts the flow of liquid ammonia. And it is permanent too and cannot be re-dissolved! The attached will give you a good idea of how a 3 way fridge works and will be valuable for you. Attachment to follow when I find it!!
The are also lots of mods to help keep the back of the fridge expel the heat out of the vents and they really do work. There are lots of threads on this too.
Good luck with your new van and remember, there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum and we are all friendly.

Reactions: Joves and Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi there @Joves and welcome to the forum. Just a few more bits of info on heat absorption fridges. To operate at full potential, the fridge (in the van) MUST be LEVEL. The requirements are within 3 degrees of horizontal side to side as you look at door (drawbar to rear) and within 6 degrees of vertical (across the van wheel to wheel). They will operate slightly outside these limits, but you should ALWAYS try to get within the limits. Continued operation outside these limits will cause a build up of crystals in the interior tubing which restricts the flow of liquid ammonia. And it is permanent too and cannot be re-dissolved! The attached will give you a good idea of how a 3 way fridge works and will be valuable for you. Attachment to follow when I find it!!
The are also lots of mods to help keep the back of the fridge expel the heat out of the vents and they really do work. There are lots of threads on this too.
Good luck with your new van and remember, there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum and we are all friendly.

Hi again @Joves , here is the link explaining how heat absorption fridges work. It is not all that technical, but if you understand most of it , it will be very useful.

http://www.portablefridgesonline.com.au/how-3-way-fridges-work

Reactions: Joves

Joves

May 9, 2019
Sydney
Hi @Boots in Action, thanks so much, that is great advice. I’ll be doing everything I can to give the 3 way fridge the best chance to do its thing. I’ve read a number of reports that they can be pretty temperamental if not set up and vented properly. Thanks for also taking the time to send through the link explaining how they work. Very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Joves

May 9, 2019
Sydney
Hi all,

Managed to get out to Jayco Sydney this afternoon for a sneak peek ahead of delivery on Friday. At this point in time, we’re VERY happy with the van. All the extras we ordered seem to have been fitted and, from what we can tell (which is not much), fitted well.

The sales rep and us were in the yard looking for it (they have plenty of new deliveries, including a number of new 20ft Expanda’s, so must do a roaring trade) when we spotted it down below in the service bay. We could tell it was ours, as it’s roof was chock-full of goodies, the obvious one being the Sphere satellite. The van looked good from above, so we were keen to get a closer view. As we approached it closer, it looked much like any other 20ft Expanda but just a little bit better, as it was ours

A quick viewing didn’t disappoint in the slightest. Whilst it wasn’t clean (to be honest, it was filthy and, to be fair, the sales rep repeated what she told me the other day when I asked over the phone if it would be ok to stop in and take a quick look... “it hasn’t been detailed, so it isn’t how we would like for it to look when you first see it”). This didn’t bother us at all though. It wasn’t so bad. In fact, aside from a good scrub, we couldn’t imagine it looking any better. What a ripper of a van. First stop was the slide-out external kitchen. Brilliant... plenty of space on the extending tray for the Everdure e2pro bbq (I know, I know, it’s not a BabyQ... it is a much better suited size portable bbq for our family though... it’s actually a cracker bbq, we’ve had it for a few years, albeit the last couple in storage, and it has been great). A quick tour of the outside confirmed that everything we ordered was in place... twin picnic tables, external entertainment unit, instantaneous hot water service, outdoor shower, rear and side cameras... all looked good.

Stepping inside was a treat... we ordered the leather option without having ever actually seen it in the flesh on any yard models. It didn’t disappoint in the slightest. The bottom bunk dinette option also looked great in matching leatherette. One thing we are really pleased with is the new leg/stand for the bunk dinette table. Makes it look like a much more permanent setup. All the cupboards seemed to open and close securely without issue. Obviously, we haven’t tried the plumbing, so that will likely be the real test as to how much care was put into assembly. A quick scan inside the cupboards confirmed that everything we ordered had been included, like the wifi receiver, conveniently placed to the side of one of the front overhead cabinets, the best place to put it if wanting to send a signal to the car for the kids iPads whilst driving to our next destination, and the larger skylight over the living/dining area which lets in a massive amount of light.

All in all, we couldn’t be happier and are very excited for Friday’s pickup. The new tug has had the 12 pin connector wired plus a Redarc Tow-Pro brake controller installed. The last thing I’m trying to have installed prior to delivery is the receiver screen for the cameras, which fits over the rear-view mirror. The only excuse for a challenging towing experience once this is installed will be my lack of experience, which I will not take lightly.

Back at home, we have had a field day (or, couple of months) buying pretty much everything we can think of which could be put to good use in our travels. So, after Friday, I really think we should be good to go. Can’t wait!

Attachments

• 6069A90F-2646-4F7B-9FC1-21CCCDE3B9F5.jpeg
    6069A90F-2646-4F7B-9FC1-21CCCDE3B9F5.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 32AA52D5-8479-47F6-B974-2778C3C31154.jpeg
    32AA52D5-8479-47F6-B974-2778C3C31154.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 374
  • E5E6C82A-0AF8-482A-9E39-3C4A073F5839.jpeg
    E5E6C82A-0AF8-482A-9E39-3C4A073F5839.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 318
  • B1B68AC0-B175-48BC-917D-DCF086CBED8D.jpeg
    B1B68AC0-B175-48BC-917D-DCF086CBED8D.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 7282F575-F942-4133-B474-5EEA9688B365.jpeg
    7282F575-F942-4133-B474-5EEA9688B365.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 326
  • A58A79B6-2FC5-46F5-BB1B-3A4380BE4C3D.jpeg
    A58A79B6-2FC5-46F5-BB1B-3A4380BE4C3D.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 361

RIB007

Dec 17, 2017
Terrey Hills NSW
Hi all,

Managed to get out to Jayco Sydney this afternoon for a sneak peek ahead of delivery on Friday. At this point in time, we’re VERY happy with the van. All the extras we ordered seem to have been fitted and, from what we can tell (which is not much), fitted well.

The sales rep and us were in the yard looking for it (they have plenty of new deliveries, including a number of new 20ft Expanda’s, so must do a roaring trade) when we spotted it down below in the service bay. We could tell it was ours, as it’s roof was chock-full of goodies, the obvious one being the Sphere satellite. The van looked good from above, so we were keen to get a closer view. As we approached it closer, it looked much like any other 20ft Expanda but just a little bit better, as it was ours

A quick viewing didn’t disappoint in the slightest. Whilst it wasn’t clean (to be honest, it was filthy and, to be fair, the sales rep repeated what she told me the other day when I asked over the phone if it would be ok to stop in and take a quick look... “it hasn’t been detailed, so it isn’t how we would like for it to look when you first see it”). This didn’t bother us at all though. It wasn’t so bad. In fact, aside from a good scrub, we couldn’t imagine it looking any better. What a ripper of a van. First stop was the slide-out external kitchen. Brilliant... plenty of space on the extending tray for the Everdure e2pro bbq (I know, I know, it’s not a BabyQ... it is a much better suited size portable bbq for our family though... it’s actually a cracker bbq, we’ve had it for a few years, albeit the last couple in storage, and it has been great). A quick tour of the outside confirmed that everything we ordered was in place... twin picnic tables, external entertainment unit, instantaneous hot water service, outdoor shower, rear and side cameras... all looked good.

Stepping inside was a treat... we ordered the leather option without having ever actually seen it in the flesh on any yard models. It didn’t disappoint in the slightest. The bottom bunk dinette option also looked great in matching leatherette. One thing we are really pleased with is the new leg/stand for the bunk dinette table. Makes it look like a much more permanent setup. All the cupboards seemed to open and close securely without issue. Obviously, we haven’t tried the plumbing, so that will likely be the real test as to how much care was put into assembly. A quick scan inside the cupboards confirmed that everything we ordered had been included, like the wifi receiver, conveniently placed to the side of one of the front overhead cabinets, the best place to put it if wanting to send a signal to the car for the kids iPads whilst driving to our next destination, and the larger skylight over the living/dining area which lets in a massive amount of light.

All in all, we couldn’t be happier and are very excited for Friday’s pickup. The new tug has had the 12 pin connector wired plus a Redarc Tow-Pro brake controller installed. The last thing I’m trying to have installed prior to delivery is the receiver screen for the cameras, which fits over the rear-view mirror. The only excuse for a challenging towing experience once this is installed will be my lack of experience, which I will not take lightly.

Back at home, we have had a field day (or, couple of months) buying pretty much everything we can think of which could be put to good use in our travels. So, after Friday, I really think we should be good to go. Can’t wait!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your excitement can be felt all the way up here in the land of Sunshine, sounds great ......................... if you haven't already. line up the handover for the morning not a late in the day job as they can be rushed, make sure they operate everything and also ask that they turn the fridge on the day before, run it and the HWS on gas to check, operate every light, water tap and if you have a washing machine ( too far to scroll back) run it so you know it doesn't flood, check bed ends and just look and everything, a lot to take in I know but if something is not right don't take it home with the promise of fixing at first service, don't fall into that trap..Most important is Drovers major warning "Always check the wheel nuts" before you leave the yard, whenever someone has serviced your vehicle check the wheel nuts....the apprentice on his 2nd day gets the job and he forgets....... It happens regularly on vans and cars.....

Not to put a damper on things at all, when you leave the yard you don't want to be wasting time going back or writing SOS messages on here......

Have an exciting day and a great time with your new rig.

Joves

May 9, 2019
Sydney
Your excitement can be felt all the way up here in the land of Sunshine, sounds great ......................... if you haven't already. line up the handover for the morning not a late in the day job as they can be rushed, make sure they operate everything and also ask that they turn the fridge on the day before, run it and the HWS on gas to check, operate every light, water tap and if you have a washing machine ( too far to scroll back) run it so you know it doesn't flood, check bed ends and just look and everything, a lot to take in I know but if something is not right don't take it home with the promise of fixing at first service, don't fall into that trap..Most important is Drovers major warning "Always check the wheel nuts" before you leave the yard, whenever someone has serviced your vehicle check the wheel nuts....the apprentice on his 2nd day gets the job and he forgets....... It happens regularly on vans and cars.....

Not to put a damper on things at all, when you leave the yard you don't want to be wasting time going back or writing SOS messages on here......

Have an exciting day and a great time with your new rig.

Excellent advise, as always. Thanks @Drover, your experience and advice is very much appreciated!

Joves

May 9, 2019
Sydney
Well done guys, your first impressions are important. Love the leather lounge, good choice.

Thanks @Crusty181. You’ve been a massive help throughout the process so far. Glad you like the leather lounge, we are very pleased with it. Looking forward to collecting the van, getting out for some great trips, and reporting back to let you all know how we’ve gone.

Thanks again for your help and support!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @Crusty181. You’ve been a massive help throughout the process so far. Glad you like the leather lounge, we are very pleased with it. Looking forward to collecting the van, getting out for some great trips, and reporting back to let you all know how we’ve gone.

Thanks again for your help and support!
It's an expectation much like the Freemasons, to stand by and offer any and all assistance to any fellow 20ft Expanda connoisseur.

The only error we made when we ordered our Expanda was not opting for the leather. Jayco's leather upholstery was outsourced to the well-reputed Blackmans Leather, so you shouldn't have any quality issues. When our cloth cushion covers split (14mths living in the van took a toll) I had arranged Blackmans to reupholster the cushions in leather, but Jayco came to the rescue and replaced all the cushions albeit in cloth again. I solved the stress point issues so they should last much longer this time around

Reactions: Joves and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Annnnnd, off we go to pick her up... wish me luck!!
Nothing quite like collecting a new caravan. You have the entire weekend to crawl all over it, and I'm guessing you'll be driveway camping over the weekend. With so much time over the next few days, we'll be expecting a full report and lots of photos.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've already spotted the first Mod, missed it right at the beginning ....................................... So where's the pics ???????..................... Did the wheels fall off ???? ......................... Actually I don't want to see any pics gets me going looking at the Caravans For Sale pages.

ColinM

Jul 31, 2019
Mount Barker, Western Australia
Hi Joves,
If you noticed my introduction thread you'll note that I'm a newby to both this forum and caravanning and it just so happens my wife and I have our (eventual) eyes on a Jayco Expander - so this thread is liquid gold and I'll be following avidly. Especially your choice of options and why (when I get a chance). Great thread and welcome from one newby to another. 8-):clap2::crazy: