17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
There finished on ebay but he happy to make them for any one I have his number if you go back a page I think you will see a photo I can give you the number if interested

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Some would do windows some won't as they say "not needed".

Get windows! You will still want to let light in and air. Yes the air can get in between but nothing major. Also nothing like letting the warm sun in on a winters morning to help warm the van. Likewise breeze if van has been shut due to rain, will want circulation at the first chance.

We have the holiday annexes one and am very happy with it.

Just my opinion.

BJ.

Reactions: skippy and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Get windows! You will still want to let light in and air. Yes the air can get in between but nothing major. Also nothing like letting the warm sun in on a winters morning to help warm the van. Likewise breeze if van has been shut due to rain, will want circulation at the first chance.

We have the holiday annexes one and am very happy with it.

Just my opinion.

BJ.

Definitely getting windows with Solid/clear/screens no matter which way we go... Canvas or Vinyl. For the same reasons you mentioned @Bmhdg76

Reactions: Bmhdg76 and skippy

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Thanks @dagree I will call them when I get back from our trip down south. If they are fitted by sail track and are vinyl with windows etc I will be booking the van in to be fitted with its first service soon. I had thought my days of tying things down in the middle of the night were over after getting rid of the tents :)

Reactions: Cheyne78 and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome @jandl ... I believe they are fitted on sail tracks but they look like canvas in the flyer.
Know what you mean about thinking the days of tying things down are over.... Our last van was a soft lid expanda with bagged bed end flys that had to be setup with tent poles and guy ropes. Any sign of a "breeze" and it was outside at all hours and drop the poles and tie the covers down as tight as possible. (Hence of of the reasons we upgraded)

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
View attachment 23834 Dropped van off today for 1st service asked about these canvas bed flys told around 500 fitted for front only not for me I going for the one's I found on ebay for around $250 delivered made out of same material as pop top a lot easier to dry and only going to use in wet weather .
Ordered mine today cant wait till it turns up what a great bloke to talk to

Greeeny

Oct 5, 2013
Cheltenham, Vic
Our Holiday Annexe end covers are excellent and great people to deal with.
image.jpg

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
I called into jayco, spare parts, nowra, today, and thought I would ask about the water proof bed ends. Never heard of them and couldn't beieve I new about them before her , so she rings van sales out the front and they haven't seen any yet but had heard whispers about them, and were curios how I knew about them. Gotta love this forum. End result was they will do some enquiries and ring me at a later date. Barney

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Yeah I rang my dealer other day they wanted around $490 for one fitted way to dear and at end of Day it's still canvas wet wet wet . So I went vinyl just waiting for it to turn up and get van back from first service so I can fit it and try out

Reactions: pjkbrs and Ren77

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Update for the West Aussies!!!!!!
Called past Jayco Caravanland this morning and the bed ends arrived yesterday. Confirmed at $450 per end but if a Toy Shop member with 10% discount works out at $405 each!!

Apparently they went to install a set on one of the display vans and then realised that the sail track required is different to what they had in stock. They have ordered the correct track and should be in by the end of next week.

Shane (think from memory) took one out of the bag and they look quite good from what I saw. Lightweight and roll up into their own bag for storage. Come in the colour of your choice as long as you want light grey ;)

Going to go back on Friday and have a better look (And take "The Boss" to check out the colour). If in agreement I'll be getting a set as I like the lightweight idea along with the minimal storage space required.

Reactions: Nagga's and Ren77

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
and at end of Day it's still canvas wet wet wet .

A few of you blokes are under the misconception that canvas is not waterproof but it is , hence the name "waterproof canvas". Which I imagine the word waterproof has to be used every time a manufacturer mentions canvas is because of the mindset of most people of old cotton canvas tents that leaked if something was touching the canvas, we've com along way since then with polyester/cotton weave and corespun canvas. Also the base of the expanda ends around the mattress are vinyl any way and as far as canvas versus vinyl bed end covers go, even if canvas was not waterproof it would still be stopping the weather from hitting the bed end canvas, any water would drip to the ground canvas or vinyl.

In my opinion canvas is the best option, the only plus I can come up for vinyl is easy to clean. Vinyl is quite heavy, most will be 550 to 600 gram per square meter where as the canvas used will typically be 200 to 300 grams.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I made (or got made, but my design) a set of vinyl ones very early on. Before all the offerings from anybody else. Used the vinyl used on tautliners. Yes it's very heavy but as mentioned great to clean and no concerns putting away wet, personally wouldn't use it again. Also good in a gale. FYI the cost was about $400-450 for the pair plus I had to mount the sail track. I used alloy track and mounted it inboard. But being honest in the end the whole concept gave me the sh1+s. Felt there was enough setting up to do without these. So just cut some blue poly tarp and had good peg like clamps and fastened it to the inside of the privacy screens. Took a minute and I even folded it up like that once or twice.

If I was doing a set again I would go the canvas as advised by crust.

Reactions: carpanda

roysta

Mar 23, 2013
Central Coast, NSW
I ordered my new 17.56-2 yesterday from the Sydney dealership and they are throwing them for free as a July promo. Probably want to get them out there so others can see and the word spreads.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
In my opinion canvas is the best option, the only plus I can come up for vinyl is easy to clean. Vinyl is quite heavy, most will be 550 to 600 gram per square meter where as the canvas used will typically be 200 to 300 grams.
Thanks @crustt ... Just helped me make up my mind. It's the weight and size that has also helped the decision!!!!!
Also saves me having to tow the van somewhere to get it measured and fitted if I went down the line of vinyl ;)