17' Series moving spare tyre

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Im sure heaps of people have considered this, but the low flying nature of the spare tyre on our 17.56-2 is becoming more and more problematic.it scrapes on most driveways and damages the concrete. Im wondering if there is a simple less expensive relocation option i can do myself. It has a normal length drawer bar also.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I mounted ours on he back bumper. We have only BE at the front, others have installed a fold down spare tyre bracket on the back
image.jpg image.jpg
I then converted the old tyre holder into a basket to hold my annexe.
image.jpg
The other 'bracket' is one my sone made to hold 2 jerry cans of diesel.
Does that make sense? Mine is a 14.44-5 OB but should be adaptable.
See my thread for more detail.

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
How we solved our wheel holder so I could fit a box on the front...
Spare Wheel Holder 005.jpg

But I would be guessing that as yours is the tourer version you would more than likely have the lighter duty round bar on the rear>

Reactions: Simon

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Im sure heaps of people have considered this, but the low flying nature of the spare tyre on our 17.56-2 is becoming more and more problematic.it scrapes on most driveways and damages the concrete. Im wondering if there is a simple less expensive relocation option i can do myself. It has a normal length drawer bar also.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
A cheaper option would be to underslung your axles. Adds about 100mm to height. Any caravan repair joint will do it for a couple hundred buck I think. Cost moving the spare and cutting out the frame basket at the front would cost more I reckon. That is unless you want to put a toolbox up front.

Reactions: dagree

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Made it myself @Simon just need to touch up on my welding skills ;)
I've got the round bar so would have to replace with an OB bumper. Can you buy the wheel carrier and just weld it to the bumper, or did you fabricate that yourself?

The welding and finish looks top class, or is that the camera angle ;)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Made from scratch and wonders what a grinder will hide ;) (And camera skills!!!!!)

Windsor do a similar style drop down unit for the rapids but not sure how much and if you can get them separate?

Reactions: Drover and Simon

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Tha js for the feedback guys. Really helpful.

Ideally id like to undersling the axels but realistically i will have to spend more on the annex then.

Im interested in trying your idea @JaycoQ to see how it works running the jockey wheel just slightly below the height of the tyre basket. Is that a viavble option?

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
I don't see the load any different to using a power mover, discussed in another thread. I've done the same on last 4 vans. Winding wheel as high as possible for free movement provides support for shaft.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you look through my site link you will find pics of my rear tyre rack, mine has a round bar and it hasn,t fell off yet. I underslung my axles though and converted my tyre rack to a basket for my hoses and stuff. If your not dragging the rear you could try higher profile tyres that may be all you need but the rear carrier is the way to go.I don't care for the jockey wheel idea puts an extra stress point and loads the hitch up.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I wouldn't have thought so unless you plan on replacing your jockey wheel every time it bends.

if you have the jockey wheel wound up, do the wheel is slightly lower than the basket - it "should be ok.........."
depending on
the jockey wheel is would up, with enough free play to swing around
you dont have more than about 1" of the jockey wheel extended
you remember to remove it when you head off.............

the only damage you will do that way - is wearing out the center bearing / bush

still not an ideal fix - but a temp one.......

@Hiluxpanda what size wheels are currently on your van?
maybe going the next size up (14" to 15" / 15" to 16") will only raise it by 1/2" (13mm) but it may be enough

cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
a tyre rack on the back would be ideal, but a lot of work involved

Windsor do a similar style drop down unit for the rapids but not sure how much and if you can get them separate?

yeah, and after many many many phone calls
"hi, I am interested in buying the rear bar of the Windsor Rapid with the wheel carrier..........."

"why do you want that....???" - I will find out and get back to you"
"why dont Jayco do them....? I will get some one to call you"
"why dont you get rid of your Jayco, and just buy ours.........???? I will get a Salesman to call you"

you know, I never got ANY calls back
so, lucky for me @dagree had made one, and he kindly lent me his drawing (which I modified to suit me) and I built my own as well.....

Reactions: dagree and Simon

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ideally id like to undersling the axels but realistically i will have to spend more on the annex then.

No biggy really, just need to alter the triangular section to accommodate the added height. Most draft skirts should fit and the long wall remains as is.

I have looked in it and am getting the cash together to do it axle flip too. Pace.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@bigcol funny you say that as I did exactly what you are suggesting - accidentally - once with my old camper trailer.
On leaving the driveway I had forgotten to take the jockey wheel off, but it was wound to the top and it touched the ground at the cross over/gutter point and it bent, only slightly, the support arms to the wheel and I think damaged the shaft slight as it wouldn't wind up. It was enough to turf it.
Admittedly I was moving out of the driveway at a normal and safe speed as always did ready to hit the road on our trip - had I been concious of the jockey wheel about to touch the ground I would have moved at a snails pace and perhaps outcome may have been different.
@Hiluxpanda perhaps upgrade to a heavy duty jockey wheel to replace the standard one would give you extra strength? I think they are around $100 for the single wheel, and the double like mine is around $200. See image of what I have. Maybe if this was centre mounted in the A-frame it would act as a lever?
images.jpg