Moto Motos 14.44-4 Outback

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Great reported and pics mate, but then again I wouldn't accept anything less for you :tongue:

well I'm off to finish packing the Panda hopefully heading off tomorrow and in true style the weather has turn crap

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thanks everyone, hopefully some ideas for everyone.

The 14.44-4 went so well! It really made this type of traveling holiday so much easier than in a camper. We came across a lot of grey nomads with huge vans. Ours felt tiny in comparison, but did the job nicely.

We just came back from a weekend at Gerroa and i must have guessed that Bushman was planning a holiday, rained all night! Sure don't miss wet tents and camper trailers...........................

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We just came back from a weekend at Gerroa and i must have guessed that Bushman was planning a holiday, rained all night! Sure don't miss wet tents and camper trailers...........................

Well so far so good, the weather here in The Bay as been reasonable, plenty of room here come join us I dare you too:p

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well so far so good, the weather here in The Bay as been reasonable, plenty of room here come join us I dare you too:p

Tempting mate...............but i've seen the weather forecast....................:rain:

Fingers crossed the rain misses you:pray:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We sat in a 14.44.4 today at Jayco and they are a very impressive size Moto, I reckon if they could squeeze in a shower toilet opposite the kitchen like the 16's and move the fridge under the sink we would be taking a serious look :peep: (we like our toilet/shower :brushteeth:)

OR

they could make a 16' with bunks on the rear wall and not have a fold down bed at the rear :juggle:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yep, Jayco haven't built the ultimate compact family rig yet. A 16' model with shower/toilet, bunks and one fold out bed at the front would be perfect:yo:

Berg

Jan 31, 2012
South Australia
Berg 14.44-4 Outback

Hi Moto,

I'm new to the forum, and we are in the process of purchasing a 2012 14.44-4 OB pop top caravan.

I have been following your forum for a couple of days now, and I would like to say that you've helped us alot when deciding on our options.
Just like yourself, we are buying of the plans.

1. Was there any major issues with your caravan that I should look out for when picking up my van from the Jayco?
2. Can you tell me where Jayco put the 12v internal and external auxiliary plugs?

Bergs
Yep, Jayco haven't built the ultimate compact family rig yet. A 16' model with shower/toilet, bunks and one fold out bed at the front would be perfect:yo:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum Bergs!

I have had a few issues so far. Most of them didn't show up until we used the van for a few months, such as a leak in the roof, faulty HWS on gas, issues with the brakes etc. On pick up i found a number of issues mainly relating the the final cleaning and detail of the van. There was stains and silicon everywhere! We also had a massive scratch in the dinette window from when it was cleaned:doh:

In terms of 12v outlets, we have one at the TV cabinet at the door and one under the fridge (which is a useless spot). One at each bunk would be a good idea if you have kids that want to play portable laptops etc.

Hope this helps, and you enjoy your van:whoo:

Reactions: Berg

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Touch wood.....so far we haven't had any major issues - as mentioned in other posts some really minor issues re cleanup/final detail - though we certainly haven't got heaps of silicon everywhere! The door to shower/toilet is very slightly misaligned and on a really hot day it came open - may mention it at first service but really not a big issue.
No water leaks over bed ends.

On delivery make sure they show you how to do EVERYTHING - work fridge on gas/240/12 - get water heater going again 240 and gas - make sure oven (if you have one) lights - ours didn't at hand over - sorted immediately - make sure all lights are working - again our door light needed replacing at pickup and number light - use of toilet if fitted - etc.

For my wife and I - two pre-grey nomads - the 16 footer is perfect - a bed each - so if one of us wants to sit up late reading we don't disturb the other! Plenty of room if weather inclement. Plus provision to have extra people if required.
We don't regret our purchase at all - price wise we got the features we wanted at significantly fewer dollars than other vans we had been looking at.

Hope these comments are useful to someone....

Bill

Berg

Jan 31, 2012
South Australia
Hi Moto,

I have just finshed reading your whole Forum, I have gained so much knowledge and awareness on the 14.44-4 OB.
I'm contacting Jayco tomorrow morning to make sure that the factory as rectified the number plate issue, for I'm getting a bike rack fitted as well.

Cheers for all your help.

Welcome to the forum Bergs!

I have had a few issues so far. Most of them didn't show up until we used the van for a few months, such as a leak in the roof, faulty HWS on gas, issues with the brakes etc. On pick up i found a number of issues mainly relating the the final cleaning and detail of the van. There was stains and silicon everywhere! We also had a massive scratch in the dinette window from when it was cleaned:doh:

In terms of 12v outlets, we have one at the TV cabinet at the door and one under the fridge (which is a useless spot). One at each bunk would be a good idea if you have kids that want to play portable laptops etc.

Hope this helps, and you enjoy your van:whoo:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thats the main reason i kept a record of our experience, hopefully it would help someone else out there:tea:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well, we got our van back from a 12mth service (3 months early) mainly to get a list of warranty repairs done at the same time.

Repairs included:
HWS cover replacement to fix igniting issues,
New flip mixer, handle kept falling off the old one,
Leaking mains hose repaired under fridge,
Brakes checked,
Studs checked as part of recall,
Pot drawer rollers replaced,
Water Pump not replaced, but will keep a close eye on it as it sometime hums away when not in use.

Pretty happy with everything except i got home from the dealer and my brakes still squeek and the rims get too hot to touch. Back on the phone to the dealer and they think its my brake controller. Its a solid state Hayman Reese type.

Has anyone else had problems with these before. Trying to source the problem with the brakes is becoming an expensive exercise for me.

I just want to get away:hurt:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Moto was the water pump humming due to the pump needing to hold pressure in the line somewhere? Is there a small leak somewhere?

Wasn't humming when they checked it but i, suspect there must be a leak somewhere. Doesn't happen all the time. Just something to monitor i guess.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Wasn't humming when they checked it but i, suspect there must be a leak somewhere. Doesn't happen all the time. Just something to monitor i guess.
No worries mate mine did it and I discovered a very small leak under the van where there is a 3 way connector which actually got replaced under warranty. I reconnected it myself and have never had a problem since :couch2:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Our one doesn't hum (I don't think it knows the tune :sorry:) but if left on overnight, it gives a pulse type sound periodically, maybe 2 hours apart which can wake me wondering what the hell I just heard. Easier to just switch it off at night.