Moto Motos 14.44-4 Outback

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi All,

Recently ordered a new Outback Expanda 14.44-4. It has a fold out bed at the front and fixed bunks at the rear. Its a brand new model and we haven't seen one in the flesh yet. A bit worried about buying off the plan, but Jayco Canberra answered all our questions and we can't wait. We think it will work well for our little family.

We have used camper trailers over the last few years and loved the lifestyle. Originally had a Cavalier Soft Floor, then upgraded to an Outback Hawk, now the Expanda seems like the next logical step. This time though we ordered a few extra fruit, like hot water, external shower, dual tanks and dual gas bottles to name a few.

Not due until May:(

Just gotta sell the Hawk now:confused:

KC

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Moto Moto and welcome to the forum. :) I'm sure you will enjoy your new van (when you get it). It does sound different with the slide out at the front instead of the rear. Could you post up a floor plan? Would love to see some pix when you get it.
Regards
Paul

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Heres the new layout! 1444-4.JPG

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yep can't wait. Not as much storage room as your model but should suit us well. A pretty good compromise between the Hawk we have now and a full sized caravan.

The thing we like about this model is its not much longer than the Hawk but a hell of a lot more storage and much quicker and easier to setup. Plus the kids get their own bed each now;)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yep can't wait. Not as much storage room as your model but should suit us well. A pretty good compromise between the Hawk we have now and a full sized caravan.

QUOTE]

I think you may have more storage in this model than mine. I have a front outside boot but yours has storage under the bed and under the bunk. Whatever, you're going to enjoy it.

Paul

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong

QUOTE]

I think you may have more storage in this model than mine. I have a front outside boot but yours has storage under the bed and under the bunk. Whatever, you're going to enjoy it.

Paul

Spot on Paul, after looking at Bushmans rig at Kiama, i know we are going to love ours when it comes ;)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Rang Jayco today to ask a few questions about further options and checked latest estimate on delivery. Originally was early May, now they are saying mid June......NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!

They said not to worry as it constantly changes and may still come in May, but they probably said that because i sounded a bit peeved on the phone.:mad:

The good new was they have an on road version of our model in their yard and will send me some photos (we have never seen this new layout expect on a plan).

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Couple of photos of a 14.44-4 if any is interested (besides me).

Same layout as ours except:
Ours is an outback'
we will have no microwave
we will have a small fridge with bench space above and a small overhead cupboard
we will have a HWS and external shower.

These are the first photos we have ever seen of something similar to our order:D.

CAMERA 013.jpg

CAMERA 012.jpg

CAMERA 011.jpg

CAMERA 014.jpg

CAMERA 017.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I reckon with a couple of kids that layout should suit you down to the ground. Looks good with a good bit of usable floor space.

Do you plan to have an annexe with the van? It might be a useful way of keeping the kids out when the weather goes bad. We roughly priced a couple at the Gold Coast caravan show last week and they varied from about $1500 to $2500 for our 14' van. I might do some more checking.

Paul

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yep we think it will work well for our little family. Feel a bit relived to finally see some photo of this layout.

Paul, we have the roll out awning coming on ours but were just planning on a shade wall, not the full annex. How long is your annex? I am trying to size up a shade wall to suit.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Mate I don't have an annexe yet. Like you I just have the roll out awning and I just use a shade awning I made up. It's just the beige shade cloth with 6 half hinges tie wrapped to eyelets I punched in and these just slide into the groove in the awning roller. Then peg the bottom down with rubbers cut from an old inner tube for springs. Works well.

The annexe will have to wait for either the price to fall or my financial position to change.

Paul

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I had a few ideas last week i ran past the dealer today:
- Get a typical Outback rear bar with the spare wheel mounted on it, because we don't have a fold down rear bed. Jayco say can't do, the ball weight is already light and they don't want to change that.
- Get the external shower mounted on the awning side of the van so if we got annex walls that area could be our bathroom. Jayco say no room, excet in the TV cabinet at the front, but then we loose that area inside the van.

Both my great ideas shot down in flames, damn!:(

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
- Get the external shower mounted on the awning side of the van so if we got annex walls that area could be our bathroom. Jayco say no room, excet in the TV cabinet at the front, but then we loose that area inside the van.

:(
My mate always rigged his roughie shower beside the van but we just had a bucket with a shower rose on it. If I use my outside shower I'll still use my pop up tent but wont need the rig for raising and holding the shower bucket. :rolleyes:

Works a treat.

Attachments

• DSCN1191.JPG
    DSCN1191.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 506

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well, the final confirmation of order happened today. Hopefully that means the Expanda is not far off (last check the date was start of June).

So after much searching the net and crawling through other expandas, we finally decided on our options list:
- heron 2.2 a/c
- roll out awning
- microwave (changed our mind a few times on this one)
- dual water tanks
- dual gas bottles
- Gas bayonet
- Anderson plug
- picnic table
- hyland hitch
- 100ah battery
- control panel for tanks and battery levels
- privacy screen for front bed
- cd player/ internal speakers
- hot water system and external shower
- fiama bike rack on rear wall (not rear fold out bed:p)

whew..........that's a lot!

Anyway, i have spent a lot of time researching this new model, so if anyone has questions ask me, i have probably already asked Jayco :D

KC