Electrical LED Strip Awning Barrel light install.

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
I think @benandjordansmum - about 8 post upwards................

My bad. I didn't even notice it didn't have the track for it at firt sorry. Awesome I can do the same to mine!
Has any one had their strip light fail? Reason I ask is the strip lighting I put on my van half failed and went full. Some of the LEDs stopped working and the whole lot is allot duller then when first installed. And the clear silicon looking stuff now has a yellow tinge to it? The van does live out side but under a cover. Not sure if this helped? I have to do it again and just worried the same thing will happen. Must be the quality I purchased.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
My bad. I didn't even notice it didn't have the track for it at firt sorry. Awesome I can do the same to mine!
Has any one had their strip light fail? Reason I ask is the strip lighting I put on my van half failed and went full. Some of the LEDs stopped working and the whole lot is allot duller then when first installed. And the clear silicon looking stuff now has a yellow tinge to it? The van does live out side but under a cover. Not sure if this helped? I have to do it again and just worried the same thing will happen. Must be the quality I purchased.
You need to make sure you get the Outdoor/sealed one. There are many on the market that are not!

Reactions: bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
You need SMD3528 (narrow) LED light strip in epox waterproof resin.
That's what I used. Yes, it can be a pain to scrape the resin off but I used the reattached leads for mine.
After I cut the strip to length, I made up several shorter strips that I can plug into my Aux power socket and may use some of the spare strip in my boot. It's when I was making up the other strips that I found scraping of the resin to be able to solder to the little copper tabs was 'time consuming' but I did get there. Will post pics if anybody wants to see them.
The 5050's are too wide (50mm) for the awning channel.

Last edited:

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
The ones I had were weather proof and had the epoxy clear stuff over them but obviously a cheaper quality?
In the bin now. Put a different one up today and ordered the one from the beginning of the thread for the awining barrel. Fingers crossed they both last.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I liked the look of the one on the awning but I fitted mine to the side of the van, so much easier.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
image.jpg image.jpg I've already done the side of the van and changed the faded one out today. I like the one on the awning barel so I thought I would do that too. Really light the place up lol.

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
I bought the weatherproof lights (RGB) and stuck it to the drum 2 years ago, but had the issue of needing to run mains power via an extension lead, and then noticed when we were looking at the new vans a few weeks back the LEDS are now fitted into the drum. This setup is great as I didn't think of running figure 8 down the seam of the awning.
Well done @BigSkiddy :clap2:and thanks for the easy to follow instructions. Will need to have a look as I don't have the indent in the drum, and the other issue I have is all my 12V is on the opposite side of the van being an 09 model.

Blybo

Nov 7, 2019
Melbourne
We have a led strip in our factory awning but would love a dimmable and amber option to reduce bugs. The factory led strip is great for cooking but otherwise too cool a white colour, and too bright.

Could you just splice one onto the factory wiring? Where is the remote sensor???

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
When i tried to run the wires down the seam, v difficult, had to remove it as it made the awning wind up unevenly. I tracked the wires inside the cupboard above the sink and put the remote/dimmer in series there before reconnecting. Hope that helps.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We have a led strip in our factory awning but would love a dimmable and amber option to reduce bugs. The factory led strip is great for cooking but otherwise too cool a white colour, and too bright.

Could you just splice one onto the factory wiring? Where is the remote sensor???
Seen a vid recently, a dude made his own amber led by running yellow electrical tape over the factory strip light ... although i will add i watched in amusement a very expensive Korr amber led attract just as many bugs as the white one.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I also used a length of left over strip, attached leads and a plug, stuck in on a length of magnetic strip I had and now use that attached to the A frame as a night light. Easily feeds through under the Expanda bed end and plugs in under the AC on the 14.44-5. Very handy when having to venture outside at night. No more knocked knees on the tow bar.