Electrical LED Strip Awning Barrel light install.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Here's one way to install an LED Strip light on your Carefree awning.
Firstly check that the barrel of your awning has an 8mm recess for the strip light to go in.

Parts

- 3528 SMD LED strip light, my preference is Warm White (Don't use 5050, it is too wide to fit the recess)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331264385869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

- Wireless Remote/Dimmer
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251616252611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

- 10m electric cable (get the thinnest possible) (attach link)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291082051025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You want to run the wire down the seam of the awning, this is really tedious.
Using just some single core wire, preferably something that is stiff but small enough to fit through the gap in the stitching. Push this through as far as you can, you might only get 40-50cm before it jams, no problem. Just poke the end of the wire out of the seam and pull about 50cm out and then re insert the wire end back in and continue on. When it jams again pull it back out of the seam and pull it all through again. Keep doing this until you've got it running right through.
20140903_080730.jpg

20140903_081048.jpg

Now attach your actual cable to the end of the wire you just fed through and pull the cable back through the seam. Leave about an extra 50cm either end of the awning to play with for connecting.

Do the same for the other side of the awning (side which power will not be run through) This needs to be done so the awning will roll up evenly.

Drill a hole in the roof end to allow the cable to go through. I put the cable in some fuel line to prevent rubbing on the metal.
20140903_080550.jpg

Now to get power, I tapped into the rangehood. It was easy enough, just unscrew all the screws you can see and remove the cover in which the lights are attached, then remove further screws to take out the whole unit which will then allow access to the incoming power. (Sorry didn't get a pic of this - straight forward though)

I drilled a small hole to allow the cable to come out and then run that cable in the lower 'poptop' section.
20140901_181318.jpg

20140903_081433.jpg

Then to get the cable outside I just pulled the poptop material out of the channel at the top and got the wire through. I'm not sure if over time whether this will rub through the wire. Other option is to bring the cable through the zipper stitching of the window.
20140903_081444.jpg

20140901_181312.jpg

Next is to wire in the remote sensor. Simply connect the wire that you just ran from inside to the unit and then to the wire in the awning seam. It tucks up nicely in the roof. Secure it with a dob of Sikaflex/bluetack/chewing gum.
20140903_081604.jpg

20140903_081518.jpg

Lastly putting the lights in the recess channel is straight forward. Put them in first before removing the backing tape then cut to length. Make sure you cut it at the coppertabs.
20140903_081255.jpg

In connecting the cable I have done a dodgy non permanent approach by taping the wires down however I think I will drill to holes in the barrel (Pink spots). One for the wire to feed into and another in the recess. I want to check how the factory ones are done before I do this, will update if I do.
2014-09-03 09.26.28.png

Finished!
20140903_081746.jpg

20140901_175527.jpg

Big thanks to @Marv_mart who gave me some tips and inspiration.

The remote works great has about 20 metres range, allows you to dim right down and has flashing modes if you feel like having a rave party under your awning.
20140903_081837.jpg

Any questions or further explanation, just ask.:D

Last edited:

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Top right up but I wouldn't stress to much about putting a wire down the non power side, as the factory units don't have it & they roll with out any noticeable difference.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Wow... awesome. I've been keen to get some extra light outside the van, and wondering whether to put the lights on the van or on the awning. Really looking forward to seeing the close up pics, particularly how you enter it through into van. Really appreciate the time and effort taken for the write up @BigSkiddy

Reactions: blacky

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Updated with the photos, hope it makes it a bit clearer.

In regards to putting the dummy wire on the other side, I found I could not get it to roll up evenly. Perhaps the factory use a thinner wire? In any case you may still need to guide the awning as you roll up by pulling/pushing sideways on the awning arm, just watch your fingers!

Also using the warm white is a better match to the existing annex light on your caravan.

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
I was waiting for someone to post a how to on this one!!! But I was disappointed as I don't have the extra channel for the LED's. I only have the channel if we use the annex or the wind break! Now the question is...do I really need to use an annex or wind break !! :sulkiness:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@benandjordansmum what year is your awning?
it should be the same as @BigSkiddy 's

channel.jpg
you will have the "cutout" dent, what ever, between the awning top and the hole that the annex / wind break slides into..........

if you dont have the dent / cutout / whatever, then you will have a problem, but not a major one
(if its not there) just draw a line the whole length in between the awning top and annex slot, and using the double sided tape, stick it to that line.........

I think..................??

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
@benandjordansmum what year is your awning?
it should be the same as @BigSkiddy 's

View attachment 25763
you will have the "cutout" dent, what ever, between the awning top and the hole that the annex / wind break slides into..........

if you dont have the dent / cutout / whatever, then you will have a problem, but not a major one
(if its not there) just draw a line the whole length in between the awning top and annex slot, and using the double sided tape, stick it to that line.........

I think..................??

Thanks Bigcol,

Ours is a 2010....my hubby is reluctant to do this as he is worried it will stretch the awning. As anyone do it this way?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@benandjordansmum stretch the awning as in......
feeding the wire along the side
or.....
the extra width of the Awning Barrel?

I would never suggest anyone should try to do anything they are NOT comfortable with doing
and modding Vans is one of them..........

I have found out some of the Mod's I have seen are easy as for some, and I struggle to get them to not look butchered

my original Idea was to fit the LED's up under the lid, as per @Capt. Gadget 's (I think it is.........)

both ideas appeal to me, just depends on which one I can stuff up the least;):apologetic:

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
or.....

I would never suggest anyone should try to do anything they are NOT comfortable with doing

I have found out some of the Mod's I have seen are easy as for some, and I struggle to get them to not look butchered

my original Idea was to fit the LED's up under the lid, as per @Capt. Gadget 's (I think it is.........)

both ideas appeal to me, just depends on which one I can stuff up the least;):apologetic:

LOL...that is my fear...I love mods...my husband is not so keen on them sometimes. I really prefer the idea of it on the awning, but would even be happy with one on the side of the van.. I just want extra light!!;)

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
or.....

Yeah Mine is up under the lid it's great to have the extra light... But! the bugs love the idea too! Best Idea was one my mates Old Man had, was to stick a floodlight on a pole away from where you are sitting and shine the light towards you that way the bugs hang around the light and don't hang around you

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like the awning idea very noice, I put mine on the van wall as sometimes I don't have the awning out but want light, was also told the led's don't attract bugs, well thats BS as I found out last trip...lol,lol.
I'm always surprised (and pleased) if my mods turn out looking half decent, most do if you don't look really close but then when I look at some of the build quality on my van my mods are pretty good.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Top right up but I wouldn't stress to much about putting a wire down the non power side, as the factory units don't have it & they roll with out any noticeable difference.
When I looked at the factory fitted ones, I found that they did have a wire down the other end although it wasn't an electrical one, just a dummy. Awning won't roll up evenly otherwise. I know as I fitted my own without one and awning rolled up very unevenly. Resorted to running wire next to awning as a solution for now.
Might upgrade to @BigSkiddy's solution if I can find a thin enough wire.
Where did you get yours from @BigSkiddy?

Reactions: bigcol