Lara's 16.49-1 OB

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara,

Just loving your work but geez your giving Jackie too many ideas. She has asked me to throw a question at you if you don't mind, your annex, how easy is it to pack up with the clear windows and the curtains, is it bulky and awkward or is it o/k, she likes the idea of the curtains but doesn't what any hassles as you could understand. Thanks for listening.

Dave

Hi Dave and Jackie,
Thanks, Glad you guys like what I've done so far!
The annex Walls are as easy and flat to fold as any other brand. The clear PVC doesn't make any difference to its folding, because it's replacing the canvas window flaps other annexes have, size is the same when folded flat. No probs at all.

The curtains are brilliant! They are really easy to put both up and down. You thread the supplied plastic coated elastic curtain wire through which already has a small hook attached to each end. Very quick and easy to slide through the top curtain hem.
Then you simply hook them up to the metal eyelets tab that are already attached/built-in to the annex either side of each window.
The whole job of threading and putting up all 4 window curtains would take no more than 5 minutes max.
They are made of a very soft light weight fabric and being an extra will add a little to the overall storage but not by much at all. I have to say I couldn't go back to the standard drop down outside canvas flaps now that I've used the curtains.
Hope this info helps! We go away in 2 weeks time, I'll try and get a couple more pics for you of it all folded for storage, and a couple of the elastic curtain wire and eyelets too!
Lara.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Thanks Lara,

Great explanation and the added photo's would be great just so we can get our heads around things.

Dave & Jackie

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Its a great annexe and the rep is pretty good as Lara touched on.

The curtains and clear can also be changed to have canvas and no curtains if it concerns you.

MrsExpanda love the curtains though as it allows more light and you can choose whether to have windows open or closed.

We will be getting one those annexes later in the year for the disco and can't wait.

The rep had the same annexe on his own van so its good to see it in action prior to purchase!

Hit the road

Oct 25, 2012
Frankston Vic
And finally to share some pics of our new Australia Wide 'Ultimate clear' annex.
Absolutely love it.

It has clear PVC windows to let plenty of light in even when its raining, roll them up for mesh only, and then theres the inside curtains. I have to say the curtains are a great addition. So simple and smooth to open and close, but the biggest bonus is being able to close them quickly from the inside. Dont have to go outside dodging guy ropes and pegs at night to close for privacy like the traditional drop down zippered canvas windows.

The other thing I like is the door which has both a canvas zipped door and a mesh zipped door. Great to have options!

Annex is bottom 1/3 vinyl, and top 2/3 canvas. Best of both worlds.

View attachment 12436 View attachment 12437 View attachment 12438 View attachment 12439 View attachment 12442

Thats a great looking annex Lara
not showing my wife those photos!

Reactions: Xpandafan

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I Havnt even pulled our new one out of the box yet and if i showed her that, it would probably stay in the box forever!

Ha, best not show her then! You know what us women are like, once we see something we like there's just no compromise!
Better get that annex out of the box ASAP!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yes, another mod!

The bed mod is now complete and just in time for our trip to Crescent Head and Port Maquarie, leaving this Saturday!
No pics yet sorry, will take some tomorrow!
Thanks goes to Expanda 12.37 and jacbaz who have already done this mod, posting pics and inspiring me to do the same!

Now I can't claim the building/carpentry work myself because for this one I called in my insanely talented builder brother in law Christian. He has raised the lower section of the bed area and it now sits perfectly flush and level for our new custom made mattresses. He has used select grade D.A.R. Blackbutt on the fascia which at this stage I think I will finish with a liming wax, but to keep the weight down he has used D.A.R pine for the internals under the cupboard flaps. The finished product is amazing, really cant wait to post some pics!

I went on one of my usual google research sprees to find custom mattresses and in the end made contact with Beds Direct in Melbourne after reading many positive comments about them here on this forum.
They knew exactly what I was after and were familiar with the dreaded Expanda beds. This is another company I would highly recommend. I dealt with both Annette and Michael and both are fantastic and very helpful, can't say enough good things!
Andrew was in Melbourne last month so he dropped by their Epping factory to check out the mattresses and he was impressed! We went with the Re-creation 'ultimate pillow top' mattress which is 18cm deep. The mattresses arrived today, I unwrapped them lay down and yes they are incredibly comfy. Was hard to get up, I would have stayed there for a little arvo nap if I didn't have to pick up the girls from school!

So here's to many good nights sleep in the Expanda!

Reactions: benny220

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds great Lara, can't wait to see your pics! I think I might have to look at doing the same down the track, 6 months on and I'm finding that I tend to roll off the thicker section into the join :uncomfortableness:.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Sounds great Lara I'm hanging out for pics and further info, I was thinking of rising the ours just buy using some high density foam them having a mattress made that still folds but in equal section straight down the middle. granted doing the full cupboard rising thing is probably the better option for support, but I'd have to enlist the services of a carpenter or caravan repair/builder for the job

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Sounds great Lara I'm hanging out for pics and further info, I was thinking of rising the ours just buy using some high density foam them having a mattress made that still folds but in equal section straight down the middle. granted doing the full cupboard rising thing is probably the better option for support, but I'd have to enlist the services of a carpenter or caravan repair/builder for the job

Funny you mention the foam Bushman. I initially looked into that very same option. I went down to Clark rubber to have a look at my options. To use the heavy duty black high density foam was going to cost $498 for both ends, CRAZY, I was outta there like a shot. Would rather have it done professionally with timber for half the cost.
Like your thinking though, Great minds do think alike!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Funny you mention the foam Bushman. I initially looked into that very same option. I went down to Clark rubber to have a look at my options. To use the heavy duty black high density foam was going to cost $498 for both ends, CRAZY, I was outta there like a shot. Would rather have it done professionally with timber for half the cost.
Like your thinking though, Great minds do think alike!

$498 just for foam, Holy Hell! think I'll start looking for carpenter/van repairer after all, I dont mine paying for the quality mattrees, but that as you say is "CRAZY"
We really only need to do one end, as my daughter has the other bed to herself and mattress isn't an issue.
I do have a brother-in-law thats a retired carpenter but he lives up north coast so might be time for a holiday :D
My other option was to make a platform on top of the of the exsisting cupboard but think that would be a bit daggy, though you wouldn't really see it.

Expanda 12.37

Jan 22, 2012
Bendigo
Thanks for the positive feedback Lara, like us I am absolutely certain that you will find the bed/matress modification will be well worth the expense. Our only regret is that we had our Expanda for two years before we did the modification - it is now coming up to three years old - time passes by so quickly.
Currently 'on the road' away at Edithburgh on the Yorke Peninsula. No where better to be than relaxing at the beach in lovely warm autumn weather

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Lara
if you don't mind me asking how much was the annex all up need to start saving :)

The annex was $2990, the porch is normally $390 but was thrown in for free as bonus for ordering the the Newcastle caravan show.

That included everything:
Ultimate Annex
clear PVC windows
draft skirt
curtains
curved roof rafters
anti flap kit
And they come to you for measure and then back again for fitting

It's a great annex!

MalFerraro

Sep 25, 2012
Jimboomba
www.bayset.com.au
The annex was $2990, the porch is normally $390 but was thrown in for free as bonus for ordering the the Newcastle caravan show.

That included everything:
Ultimate Annex
clear PVC windows
draft skirt
curtains
curved roof rafters
anti flap kit
And they come to you for measure and then back again for fitting

It's a great annex!
Thanks Lara lets hope i get that bonus fom work
I want one

Reactions: Lara