Lara's 16.49-1 OB

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
OK, where to start, so much to share, including mods! Apologies in advance for what could be a very long post.

We have had a very successful first weekend in our 16.49-1 OB.
We stayed at Lakeside Big4 Narrabeen. Great park, huge sites, good facilities, staff were very friendly and we look forward to returning sometime soon. No problems with the Expanda, and trust me, we tested everything as even though its 18 months old, Sydney RV group offer a 3 month warranty on used vans. So we are very happy to say all is in perfect working order.

As you may have read in my previous posts we bought our Expanda from Sydney RV Group and I have to give them the biggest rap. They are absolutely incredible, from the sales yard to service centre. They truly went above and beyond for us. We got a great deal, nothing was ever too much trouble and they continued to surprise and impress us with their service. Even when we wanted work done by the service centre, they would happily pick up our expanda from storage and put it back when finished. For our weekend at Narrabeen, they again took it from storage and put it on site for us, as an unexpected but very pleasant surprise. Its things like this that make them stand out from the pack. There are so many businesses that could and should take a leaf out of their book.

Now, I have been keen to share my mods with you all and have finally taken some pics over the weekend.

First up is the TV bench mount bracket. As the walls were not strong enough for a wall mount bracket, I did lots of homework to find the perfect TV bench mount. The result is exactly what I hoped for. We can turn our TV in any direction, it even swings around the corner and out the door. This thing goes up down and all around!

IMG_3857.jpg IMG_3878.jpg IMG_3875.jpg IMG_3873.jpg
As for TV storage during travel, I came up with the following! First had to source a quick release plate, can now single handedly take down the TV in 2 seconds flat. Then headed to clark rubber for some custom cut foam. Simple to put TV in and take it out, also stores our Bose stereo. Very happy with finished product.

IMG_3861.jpg

Now onto wardrobe and pantry storage! Standard mod of fixed shelves in the wardrobe. In the pantry I have installed rubbermaid slide and stacks. Fit perfectly and from Bunnings. They are on a bottom mount slide, so slide half way out and makes it easy to get to things at the back. Also handy when packing, take them out of slide, take into house, fill, and return to carvan and slide back in. Too easy!

IMG_3853.jpg IMG_3855.jpg
Under the wardrobe is an Elfa mesh wire basket on bottom mount slide. Fits perfectly, Easily holds 4 bath towels and 4 beach towels. Glides in, glides out.

IMG_3856.jpg

Now onto the lounge/dining area. We are a lounging family, love a bit of space to lay around, watch TV, read the paper, get into bed with climbing over seats...... So for us the answer was to remove the Jayco table. We have kept/stored the Jayco table for future re-sale.
We will always be eating either outdoors in the sunshine or in the annex. Should the need arise for a table inside then we have a bunnings blow mould table in the annex that can come inside if needed. (Sorry, didn't make the bed yet)

IMG_3866.jpg IMG_3871.jpg
Hope you like my mods as much as I do!!
Also have some photos of our new Australia Wide 'Ultimate' annex to share. Will post up tomorrow for you all!

Lara.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Great intro for your Expanda Lara.

It will be good to see the mods happen :thumb:
How did you enjoy your 1st trip?

Thanks Cruza Driver/twin
Had a great weekend, didn't want it to end. Now just have to wait till April school holidays to get out there again.
Was great to finally see my mods in action!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Great mod on the TV stand Lara. Looks very professional.

Thanks Brad!
I'm really happy with how it turned out. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so always do my homework/research first, always want any to look professional, even if that means spending a few extra dollars to get the best product for the job.
Glad you like it!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Lara, glad it all went well for you, bugger I can't see your pics on iPhone or iPad :( Another thing we have in common is no table for us either, we do the same as you! In fact with this van we ordered it with no hole in floor and have stored the table :)

Cheers.

Reactions: 1rockhorse

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Burnsy and Pace,
Am trying to figure out what's going on with the photos. I can see them in my post, but no one else can..... Not sure why?
Have contacted Expanda to see what I've done wrong.
Cheers for letting me know!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey Lara great mods but I have to ask where is hubby while all this is going on? :)

Where did you get the tv arm and quick release thingy I need to get me one of those!!!

Secondly the custom cut foam idea is great did you take the TV into clark's rubber with you or did you just go in with measurements and they cut it out for you?

Cheers for sharing the photos they look great!!!

How did the annexe hold up and install? Are you happy with the design and setup of it???

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hey Lara great mods but I have to ask where is hubby while all this is going on? :)

Where did you get the tv arm and quick release thingy I need to get me one of those!!!

Secondly the custom cut foam idea is great did you take the TV into clark's rubber with you or did you just go in with measurements and they cut it out for you?

Cheers for sharing the photos they look great!!!

How did the annexe hold up and install? Are you happy with the design and setup of it???

Hi Expanda,

Where's the hubby you ask..... Usually surfing! He knows what I'm like, so he's happy for the Expanda to be my project. I get a buzz out of it and he knows I'm good on the tools and I know what I'm doing. He loves that I'm already teaching our girls bits and pieces. They already have their own tool boxes! They too have a bunnings addiction and would rather go to bunnings than a toy store. Too give you an idea, when Andrew and I met, some 13 years ago, I had more tools than he did, And still do!

Got my TV bracket here: http://www.justmonitors.com.au/mountvisidecfocusdesk.htm
Took a bit of hunting around to find what I knew had to exist somewhere. Searched every possible TV bracket, ended up looking into LCD monitor brackets and that's when I found the Visidec VF-AT. It's is designed as a desk mount but is VESA compatible so will work with most LCD TV's. You would need to take TV down for travel.

The quick release LCD plate is by Ergotron, I got mine here http://store.ergoport.com.au/store/ergotron-quick-release-lcd-bracket.html http://www.justmonitors.com.au/mountvisidecfocusdesk.htm
Really easy to use and TV is down in 2 seconds flat. Worth having for sure!

As for the foam. I took an overall length and width measurement of the space I wanted it to go, then took my measurements and the TV into Clark rubber. After they cut the overall measurement they then did the cut out for the TV and Bose etc. there's 2 layers. The bottom layer is 25mm thick, with the top cut out layer 75mm thick, which they glued on top of the bottom solid layer. Does that make sense? Hope so. I wanted closed cell foam so the TV and Bose are well protected. Really pleased with the outcome!

Now, the new Annex. Honestly Love it. Easy and straight forward to put up. Looks a million bucks. We were getting many positive comments from others in the park! Which us always nice when you've spent a few thousand $$$. Worth every cent though.
My only complaint would be that the patio would fit better if there were spreader bars from the annex side out to the end of patio. But there is only one spreader bar, which is at the very end of patio, so you really have to tighten the guy ropes to pull it out and even then it flaps a bit in the wind. But as for the annex, 100% solid.
Overall, very happy. No regrets!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hey Lara, glad it all went well for you, bugger I can't see your pics on iPhone or iPad :( Another thing we have in common is no table for us either, we do the same as you! In fact with this van we ordered it with no hole in floor and have stored the table :)

Cheers.

Hi Burnsy,
Photos are now up and working.
Great idea ordering yours with no table or hole in the floor. I have had to buy some carpet from bunnings to cover to holes left from ours.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Nice job Lara. Is the stand solid or does it have a bit of play/wobble in it. Your stand set up is worth more than my TV:o, but it is something I would think about next time, mind you there is no way I could tell my wife the cost of it, it would just have to appear one day. There is a beige cap/plug thing next to it on your bench top! What is that? Love the foam idea. Have you got photos of your annexe up?

Cheers Geoff

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Nice job Lara. Is the stand solid or does it have a bit of play/wobble in it. Your stand set up is worth more than my TV:o, but it is something I would think about next time, mind you there is no way I could tell my wife the cost of it, it would just have to appear one day. There is a beige cap/plug thing next to it on your bench top! What is that? Love the foam idea. Have you got photos of your annexe up?

Cheers Geoff

Thanks Geoff,
The stand is solid as a rock, zero wobble. The stand can hold 8g's and my 22" TV weighs 3.4kg. Was expensive but it was the only I could find that fit my requirements perfectly, no compromise on the look I was going for!
The plug, good question! Don't know what's that's from. Was there when we bought the expanda. There is a double power point down in the cupboard below. Not sure if the previous owners ran something through there???
Will post up some annex pics tonight!