Jac & Baz's 6 month trek

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@jacbaz Does this place have a name or maybe you have some co-ordinates ? Always looking for free stops, we are off to Melbourne in August.
Enjoy the trip, spend a bit of time on the Nullabor if you can
don't need coordinates @jeff its just a big way side stop right on the border if traveling to melb it will be on your right then get up go to Bordertown bakery for breky see the white kangaroos there theres a big enclosure down from the big park in town on way out can drive van around it to look

Reactions: dagree and jeff

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
@jacbaz There's a place to stop at Wirrilla, it's an old tennis court so very flat. You pay $10 per night for a key to use the shower and power. The shop sells everything you need and the beer at the pub was so welcome when we arrived. The owner doesn't mind a chat as well
@Bluey thanks for the info, mush appreciated

Reactions: jacbaz and Bluey

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
Thanks @jeff ! Drove to Streaky Bay today @Bluey - on the way dropped in to Iron Knob ... good donation, semi free set up there. Wil stay here at Streaky Bay for 3 nights - do the 3 suggested day trips tomorrow and then head back out of town and go to pildappa Rock the next day - @mfexpanda marked this on our map at Halls Gap. From there, we've decided to go in to Fowlers bay for a couple of nights ... and then the Nullabor. Very busy here tonight ... Called up this morning to book a site which was lucky!

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Did the three tourist drives yesterday ... very windy here in Streaky Bay. Nice caravan park but we did need to dig a hole to get the van off the car as the site was quite steep to get on to and only short in length, but you can easily fit van, awning and car side by side.
image.jpg

I have added a map of the tourist drives we did ...
image.jpg

We did the Cape Bauer drive first, then the Westall Way Loop drive, before heading down to Sceale Bay and on to the Sea Lion colony at Point Labatt. On the drive back, went to Murphys Haystacks and then back to the park.
image.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
One area I would like to explore one day, thanks for the update too.

I see you mentioned its quite windy, how do you find the awning anti flap straps in the wind?
Do you have to still put the awning away?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
so after you hit the great big town of Norseman, which direction are you heading?
North - Kalgoorlie
South - Esperance

so I can give you some lite reading before you get there...........
hahahahahah

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have those "clamp" ones, but have not used them as yet
I have the clamp that goes on the awning barrel, and tie that down
and when it was windy when we were at Warroona, I threw a strap across the top from 1 side bar to the other
worked ok - just looked............. dodgy

Reactions: jacbaz and dagree

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
so after you hit the great big town of Norseman, which direction are you heading?
North - Kalgoorlie
South - Esperance

so I can give you some lite reading before you get there...........
hahahahahah
Hey @bigcol ... we have a friend who's working in Kalgoorlie - if he's off, we'll go there first and then back track to Esperence. Would love some light reading ... bring it on!

Reactions: cruza driver

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Ok ... just heard from the friend and they're on days off so they will meet us in Esperence - what caravan park do people recommend ... the 2 we're tossing up between are Esperence Sea Front and Esperence Bay holiday park - any feedback on these 2 would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance Jacki

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my preference would be Esperance Bay Holiday park.

2 reasons
1) a little bit closer to town for walking around
2) not as wind blown as Esperance Sea Front Park - it is literally across the road from the beach, which is nice
except for the southerly's that blow sand from the beach, across the road and into the first 3 rows of Vans

Esperance Bay has chalets at the front (Dempster St ) with the Van parking at the back
its an old park, but has grass, and a fence around it
down side is it is VERY close to the Port & Rail lines

the park in front (Esperance Port Authority Park) is a nice place to relax in, as well as all the way along the "foreshore"
Taylors Beach Bar & Cafe did do a nice feed, although trying to be an up market restaurant.

the Chinese Restaurant on Dempster St (Emperors Garden or some thing) did a great banquet when we went there with 9 of us
the Museum is a WHOLE day of things to look at
old cars, old machinery, a Train, and all sorts of stuff about the local area and settlement
just up past the Port Authority is a great Look Out, and a drive around Twilight Beach, and all the inlets on that side of Esperance
follow Twilight Beach Rd, at it turns into Eleven Mile Beach rd - and have a look at the "Pink Lake" (Never pink when Im there..........)

just near the other Van park is Fisheries Rd......... follow that for 80Kms I think it is, BUT, pack water, and food for a day trip,
and go to Duke Of Orleans Bay...................
AWESOME
the sand is that soft, it "squeaks" when you walk on it.....
also along Fisheries Rd is the turn off to see Esperance Stonehenge - well worth the stop, gives you an Idea of the real one in the UK.........

plenty to see and do to keep you occupied for a week in Esperance..........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
oiy, almost forgot, @jacbaz
well worth driving up to the Look Out at Norseman as well......... apart from that, there is not much else there
last I heard the Dolls House Museum was closed or closing..............
if its open, may be worth having a look......

Reactions: jacbaz and dagree

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Good morning forumites!
Finally back in contact. We are having an amazing time travelling this beautiful country so far.
From Streaky Bay, we stopped in at Smoky Bay and bought 2 dozen (plus a few extra) oysters for $15 - needless to say, we had oyster kilpatricks for a couple of nights!!
Went to Fowlers Bay for 2 nights and did the 4 wheel drive trek around the conservation park ... aired down and slowly travelled up the massive sand dunes, across the rocky top and then along the beach - great day!
Did a bit of fishing the day we arrived but blew a gale after that!
From there, we headed across the Nullabor, stopping at Jilah Rockhole free camp one night and Fraser Range free camp the second night. I drove the 146.6 km straightest section of road in Australia while Baz caught up on some sleep!!! It's an ever changing scenery out there.
Got to Esperence yesterday ... couldn't get in to Bayfront CP so have ended up at Seafront - older park but FANTASTIC hot, high pressure showers. Spending a few days here with some friends from the mines and then head off again - adding photos in a collage as I'm having trouble adding them individually!!!
image.jpg

image.jpg