Jac & Baz's 6 month trek

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
The time is getting closer for us to be leaving on our 6 month WA / NT / FNQ trip.
After returning from Mallacoota last week, we decided to 'quickly' throw the van and car over the weigh bridge - we had the tinnie with us at Mallacoota so all the gear was in the car, we removed what we weren't taking and added what we were.
The tare of our little van is 1172kg and the ATM is 1472kg. The weight of the van at the weigh bridge was 1660kg - a whopping 188kgs over. (This was after a cull a few months ago!)
We bought our van second hand and realised we had no idea whether the tare was accurate ... so what do you do in this situation??? You head home and empty the entire caravan and then head back to the weigh bridge!!!! You then weigh the van again and realise you are 68kg over the tare at an empty weight. We decided this would be the battery, the timber for building up the bed end and adding a new mattress, the insertion of shelves in the ward robe and any other minor alterations. Rod holders etc were removed prior to weighing.
We then looked at all the crap we had in the van and decided what we could live with / live without. We then proceeded to weigh every single item that went back in to the cubby and have been left with 21.9 kgs for food and clothing (water tank factored in) but not grog!!!
From now on when we go camping, we won't have any extra plates / cups / cutlery for any visitors! We are now a BYO van!!!
Some of my questions are, how often do people really know the weight in their vans and has anyone ever been checked / fined for being overweight (van that is!). We were actually gob smacked at the 'little' things that add up weight wise.
The car was 100 kg over, but we should be able to get that weight down no worries.
I have empty cupboards now in the van but I am concerned if ever we get a bigger van with more cupboards we would end up well and truly overloaded (again).
At least we made the weigh bridge operators day!!!!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
just weighed mine loaded 20 kgs over on van weight but !!!!!!! 288 kgs on the ball it shouldn't be over 250

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Very interesting @jacbaz... I suspect this might be the case on our van, and why perhaps the Pajero struggled with it on any kind incline. And whilst it now sits comfortably within the Colorado's capabilities, I worry about the ATMs and total weights, particularly as we plan for the big lap.

I'd love to weigh the van, but really I'm scared about what it would tell us.

Gibson

Feb 10, 2014
West australia
I have never meet or heard anyone in west aust having to have their van weight measured In fact the last time I had my van attached coming home from Kal we were stopped on the great northern hwy by a police and main roads road block the transport guys pulled my break away breaks and said to try and drive forward after seeing they worked he said we were all good to go they had their scales out and all ready to use but nothing. I have since found out by inside sorce that they have been instructed not to weigh caravans as to not harm the tourist industry and the hundreds of grey nomads that head north very year.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We used the weigh bridge on Colchester Road in Kilsyth @cruza driver ... if you want official tickets, it's $44 each - one for the car and one for the van - or you can pay cash and they hand write the weights - this option is $25 for all the weighs!!!
wow my new local BP has a weigh bridge 17 for a ticket

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
The car has been serviced, transmission cooler put on, number plate bracket (so we don't over heat the transmission again!) put on, washed and polished. A wash and polish for the van this weekend, mow the lawns, trim the hedges ... pack next weekend and then we're off - getting excited now!!!
I'm now at 9 weeks to lift off. So much to do, so little time!

Reactions: jacbaz

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Excellent. Whats the itinerary
So far ... Bordertown the first night and that's about it!!! We don't have any set plans ... will head straight over to WA and then play it by ear! We have about 3 1/2 months in WA ... need to be in Darwin to meet friends mid August - we'll do Kakadu etc with them for about 10 days and then head across to do the Cape.
We want to spend time in Margaret River region, Perth, Ningaloo,Broome, we'll leave the van and camp at Cape Leveque, as well as leaving the van at Kununurra and doing the Gibb River Road (or part of it). After Darwin, we're heading to Ban Ban Springs (have friends there) and then head east.
We've decided not to plan too much ... if we like somewhere, we'll stay and if not, we'll move on ... definitely open to suggestions on places to see and things to do along the way ...
I'm definately NOT used to this type of travel (I like to be organised) but this trip is a long time in the planning and we've decided to 'wing it'!!!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The car has been serviced, transmission cooler put on, number plate bracket (so we don't over heat the transmission again!) put on, washed and polished. A wash and polish for the van this weekend, mow the lawns, trim the hedges ... pack next weekend and then we're off - getting excited now!!!
All coming together now for you lucky buggers! Can't wait to hear about your trip.Enjoy!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Can't wait for this one to kick off! I love the randomness and unknown factor. Will be taking notes and heeding lessons for our 6 months trip... All the best and hopefully all the prep goes to plan.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
So far ... Bordertown the first night and that's about it!!! We don't have any set plans ... will head straight over to WA and then play it by ear! We have about 3 1/2 months in WA ... need to be in Darwin to meet friends mid August - we'll do Kakadu etc with them for about 10 days and then head across to do the Cape.
We want to spend time in Margaret River region, Perth, Ningaloo,Broome, we'll leave the van and camp at Cape Leveque, as well as leaving the van at Kununurra and doing the Gibb River Road (or part of it). After Darwin, we're heading to Ban Ban Springs (have friends there) and then head east.
We've decided not to plan too much ... if we like somewhere, we'll stay and if not, we'll move on ... definitely open to suggestions on places to see and things to do along the way ...
I'm definately NOT used to this type of travel (I like to be organised) but this trip is a long time in the planning and we've decided to 'wing it'!!!
can free camp right on the border line vic and sa or go into town which is not on the border nice bakery and check out the white kangaroos in town there is a big enclosure u can drive around just as u come in van park there is very close to freeway just as good to free camp just up the road at the border have a safe and great trip

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Last day of work for 6 1/2 months today ... check
Car washed and polished ... check
Van washed and polished .... check
Hedges and lawns done ... check
Farewell to family Friday, friends Saturday, Mother in law Sunday, kids Sunday night (oh and farewell to friends moving to Perth) on Sunday ... pack clothes etc Monday / Tuesday ... wrap up business books Tuesday ... on the road Wednesday !!!
Happy hour Wednesday night :)

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hope you have a great time don't forget the coppers are red hot going into Norse man WA with anything hanging off the mirror . Wish it was us going away too. Stay safe and enjoying happy hour .