Swift It has arrived.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I am going to do a separate write up on my trip. It is quite a story.
But, on the fuel thingy. I now have a 80 series 4.5 litre petrol, no gas. Normally around Melbourne it returns around 22l/100k, country is around 18l/100k. On my trip to Sheepyard it returned 18.89l/100k towing the swift. Until I hit the Howqua Hills it didn't even know the Swift was behind it. I was/am very pleased and this gives me an idea of how it will go on the Cameron trip next year.

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
I am going to do a separate write up on my trip. It is quite a story.
But, on the fuel thingy. I now have a 80 series 4.5 litre petrol, no gas. Normally around Melbourne it returns around 22l/100k, country is around 18l/100k. On my trip to Sheepyard it returned 18.89l/100k towing the swift. Until I hit the Howqua Hills it didn't even know the Swift was behind it. I was/am very pleased and this gives me an idea of how it will go on the Cameron trip next year.

Sounds great. I am itching to go somewhere but the missus started a new job and have to wait until maybe lat January or March next year.
Have you used the fridge on gas and how well does it keep stuff cold? Also when towing how cold does the fridge remain since its running on the 12volt? Just trying to gauge how far I can go with it on battery until stuff starts to defrost.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
On gas: Beware. It will very happily freeze what ever is in your fridge, including the bottom shelf. Earlier this year Tim and I did a trip to Kurth Kiln. Whilst at Kurth we had the fridge on gas. Everything froze. Including our eggs. Our eggs were on the very bottom. Last trip to Sheepyard, this time last year, I put stuff in the freezer intending to use it when we got home. Yep, it was frozen when we got home. So was half the rest of the stuff in the fridge. The gas is a beast to get going. Especially if the gas bottles have been off for a while.
240 volts: Just like any normal fridge.
12 volt: I have a 12 volt deep cycle battery in my van. The fridge does not work on this battery. Don't know why. It just doesn't. However, when the van is attached to the car with the car motor running, it works just fine and will maintain what ever temperature it starts with. But the motor MUST be running. I think there must be a circuit which detects this and only allows the fridge to run on battery in that manner.
My fridge is a Dometic fridge. Our van is a June 2012 model Swift.

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
On gas: Beware. It will very happily freeze what ever is in your fridge, including the bottom shelf. Earlier this year Tim and I did a trip to Kurth Kiln. Whilst at Kurth we had the fridge on gas. Everything froze. Including our eggs. Our eggs were on the very bottom. Last trip to Sheepyard, this time last year, I put stuff in the freezer intending to use it when we got home. Yep, it was frozen when we got home. So was half the rest of the stuff in the fridge. The gas is a beast to get going. Especially if the gas bottles have been off for a while.
240 volts: Just like any normal fridge.
12 volt: I have a 12 volt deep cycle battery in my van. The fridge does not work on this battery. Don't know why. It just doesn't. However, when the van is attached to the car with the car motor running, it works just fine and will maintain what ever temperature it starts with. But the motor MUST be running. I think there must be a circuit which detects this and only allows the fridge to run on battery in that manner.
My fridge is a Dometic fridge. Our van is a June 2012 model Swift.

Yeah I think its the same fridge as mine. I am hoping to pop it open this weekend and put all the camping equipment back in. My nephew says he thinks they have improved on some aspects of manufacture and parts. He should know he has owned a Swan and a Flamingo in the last 3 years. He has an Expanda now. Not sure what model though. I asked about the fridge because he said the same thing. i think he said keep it on about a setting of 2?

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
This is the lowest I have been able to get the fuel consumption down to. Not sure if it is entirely accurate but it does make me feel better!

Baahahaha did you reset it cruising down a mountain??

Just kiddin mate, good onya :)
we did 1100ks last week in a trip to Sydney and back, and all up we came out of it sponsoring BP around $320! Mind you, might be time for a set of plugs and leads..

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Baahahaha did you reset it cruising down a mountain??

Just kiddin mate, good onya :)
we did 1100ks last week in a trip to Sydney and back, and all up we came out of it sponsoring BP around $320! Mind you, might be time for a set of plugs and leads..

Hehe as I said before I take that read-out with a pinch of salt! Im interested though what towing the Swift will produce. I think it wont be as bad as my old Patrol was on fuel though.

Reactions: blacky

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
i think he said keep it on about a setting of 2?
This is possible. I think some experimenting will find out the best setting. I set mine high because I dont have the fridge going while travelling.
There is one other thing I did forget to mention. As you know there is a 240 volt. It has a cord and switch. When I got mine I couldnt work out why it wouldn't work on 240. Turns out that Jayco had hidden the power outlet for the switch in one of the cupboards under the seat. Only Jayco can explain why they would put a switch in a place where it is very possible that the switch could be accidently knocked to the off position. Plain daft if you ask me.

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Well just came back from a couple of days at a place called Mandurah in the south of WA. First time we have had a chance to get the Swift out and the missus loved it. We took the Kayaks and they sat on the camper roof very nicely. Everything worked as advertised although I had a small crack in the bracket that the centre roof pole that is used to push back and hold the bed ends up. I went to Jayco and they gave me a metal bracket so I'll replace that myself. Anyone here fitted a stereo system to their van? Did you mount an antenna? Speakers on the outside?

Attachments

• IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeah, I had a stereo in my Flamingo - just as you go through the door on the right, never quite got around to fitting the aerial properly, it just sat on the bench - got radio, thats fine......

I also had those Computer surround sound speakers (*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*) mounted on the roof (inside)
plenty loud enough to annoy people.........
probably would have got around to mounting better speakers in the base of the dinette - etc....
cheers

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I notice yours is not a genuine Jayco awning on the side? I have a Tigerz11 awning on mine. Also, I don't have stereo in mine. Too slack to fit it and concerned about noise to neighbours.
But, do consider a LED strip light in the roof. I have one. It lights the van up like it was day.
I like mandurah. Did you go grabbing. Lots of fun in the estuary.

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
I notice yours is not a genuine Jayco awning on the side? I have a Tigerz11 awning on mine. Also, I don't have stereo in mine. Too slack to fit it and concerned about noise to neighbours.
But, do consider a LED strip light in the roof. I have one. It lights the van up like it was day.
I like mandurah. Did you go grabbing. Lots of fun in the estuary.
Hi Stan
Well spotted mate re the awning. Its a locally made job. Better than the one Jayco supplies (so the saleman tells me). Actually my nephew who is now onto his third Jayco in three years - yes you read that right - said that it was the better choice so I'm happy with how it all works. Very sturdy when its pulled out.
Our van hgas two overhead lights which are LED so I'm guessing you don't have those in yours as standard? They seem to light up the interior very well.
Also those combo fan/light thingies that run off the two overhead light clusters, I have changed the bulbs in those for LED globes so a lot less power usage when on battery.
No we didn't get a chance to go crabbing or fishing but we went kayaking in the estuary, a pod of Dolphins, maybe about 6 - 8 animals swam very close to us and one went under the missus kayak rolling onto its side to have a look at her as it swam under her. Was very cool.

Last edited:

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
yeah, I had a stereo in my Flamingo - just as you go through the door on the right, never quite got around to fitting the aerial properly, it just sat on the bench - got radio, thats fine......

I also had those Computer surround sound speakers (*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*) mounted on the roof (inside)
plenty loud enough to annoy people.........
probably would have got around to mounting better speakers in the base of the dinette - etc....
cheers
Yeah I think I'll try and get something that has bluetooth so I can stream music to the stereo from outside the van if need be. I think they are about 200 bucks roughly. I am thinking of sticking the speakers in the cupboards somewhere which in the Swift is an exercise in patience in finding spare space.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, I replaced the overhead bulbs with LEDs. Then got the metre strip LED. I haven't looked back. And I also like the awning. 5 minutes to put up; 5 minutes to pack up. What a huge difference. I use to curse that stinking bag awning every time I had to fight with it.
Going to Skipworth Reserve Friday through Sunday this week. It will be good not to have to spend all my time setting up.

Swift12

Sep 10, 2012
Mordialloc
The small hatch between the external speakers is an external shower and the large white vent at the rear bottom is the hot water service. Long story behind the name of it but yes it's called the Hooper Edition!

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
The small hatch between the external speakers is an external shower and the large white vent at the rear bottom is the hot water service. Long story behind the name of it but yes it's called the Hooper Edition!
I asked for the hot shower to be added to mine and they spat the dummy here in WA. Said it couldnt be done because there isnt enough room or clearance away electrics. Now I am don't be rude!

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
I did mine after I got it. It isn't an option in the Swift or the Dove.
Ahh ok. You do it yourself or had a custom place do it for you? Looks good I have to say. I do think the Swift rocks. Its a piece of don't be rude to two, compact and great for 2 - 4 people to get away in. I was thinking more about the stereo today and I reckon a pair of bluetooth speakers would be easier. Then anyone with an iPhone or Android could stream music through them.