Is this a good buy???

Expanda Virgins

Dec 12, 2012
Hello Expanda Pro's,

I am very new to forums, so please excuse any errors I may make in the process.

I have been looking online at purchasing an Expanda. We use to have a Austrack Camper Trailer, and whilst on our last holidays camped next to a wonderful family in an Expanda. We spent hours setting up and packing up, two kids whinging at our feet, my husband getting frazzled and me just loosing it. The neighbours just folded up their ends and roof, locked the door, hitched it up, packed the kids and some belongs into the car and drove off.
I said to my hubby - THAT IS WHAT I WANT!!

So I have been sussing out different buys. I don't really know the first things about caravans. But we have two boys 6 & 8 (who love camping), my hubby and I. So I was wondering if this caravan looks good for the age and price.
I just thought fellow expanda owners may know the going price for a van like this one.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.a...d=13B905FD1243

Did that link work? I have no idea how to add a link into a message!

I would love to hear what peoples opinions are of this van. I think for my families needs it is suitable, but not sure on prices if it is a good buy or not!

Thanks
Expanda Virgins

Boatboy50

Mar 4, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Hey,

I try to keep pace on the market, and I think that van is spot on the money, if maybe a little cheap for a hard lid model.

I would ask you however if a toilet van may be more suitable?

I recently started with a 16.49.3 (same van but with shower/toilet). I kept it for a couple of trips and just updated to a slightly larger dual axle 18.57.7 van with shower/toilet.

Our family consists of mum, dad, and two little princesses under 3.5.

It's all a learning curve and what suits me may not suit you.

Buy well in the 1st place, and you'll have no trouble selling your van quickly for similar money when the time comes to update.

Regards

Darren

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I don't know if it a good price or not but reading the data says its length is 18' but it is a single axle so it is probably a 16'. Maybe some of the 16'owner members could offer advice.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :hippie:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
welcome to the forum. seeing that van BM supplied link to is a nice van. EV (expanda virgins) please you'll need to be more detailed in the tow vehicle your using also as this will have bearing on the type/ size of van your able to tow. Pace.

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
Yep I agree with BoatBoy, its a good buy. I guess its about $4-5k less than buying a new one after haggling.

With a new one you can get exactly the options and colours you want. You should also consider your towing vehicle capacity (towball weight and towing capacity) and personal feelings about how big a van you want to store/tow/manouevre. For many people the 16 foot is a good mid size. We went the smaller 14 foot but it has an excellent set up for 2 kids with rear fixed bunks - the kids love having their private areas with curtains, reading lights, power points, secret storage spots etc. A new one with the big fridge in non-outback guise would have been about $33k driveaway. You should also consider whether you want the outback version. If you're happy to go bigger - 18 foot - you can get an internal bathroom.

I suggest you have a look at the dealer to see which model you want, and consider the new vs second hand equation.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey EV

I think it is probably a 16" also due to the single axle and the layout. Looks like a 16.49-1B. Its got the hard lids so probably a late 2008 also. IMO the hard lids are a must. One thing to remember with the non-shower models is that they don't generally have hot water. You can get as an optional extra when purchased but the seller does not list this on their list of inclusions and there is no shot of the other side of the van so can't confirm whether they had it fitted when purchased but i would think not.

For the other extras that they have listed - Solar, Privacy Screens, Full Annexe, Full Oven, 150Litre fridge. The asking price of 29500 I think is a pretty good purchase.

I recently purchased a 2012 model 16.49-3OB. My research I did showed me that the expandas tend to drop their value around the 6-8yr old mark. I would probably think about how long you are going to hold the van for as with a little haggling you could pick up a new one for around 38k.

Antman

Expanda Virgins

Dec 12, 2012
Its all good Expanda Virgins :p And Welcome
This is the link for everyone: 2008 expanda
I will let everyone else help you out with if its a good buy or not... thats not my expertise.

No, this link isn't the van I was looking at. I will try and see if I can do it again tonight on my desktop computer. I can't seem to do much on my iPad.
But thank you for trying to help me.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Definitely single axle as you can see from the pics and the add actually says 2 wheels anyway. Price seems alright but personally with the 2 young ones I'd look for a toilet model.

We did, and boy am I glad we got one. It's not that we had to have one but if you enjoy getting up at 2am to walk the kids to the toilet then that's fine. Have never had to use the shower in ours yet but it's good to be there just in case. And it also make a great storage area for traveling as nothing will bounce out of there.

Oven is nice but it also means you will have to clean it when you use it. I just love my babyQ, cook, wipe and put away.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi there Expanda Virgins,welcome. The van in the pic is a 16-49-1 as Antman said. I read where you said this is not the van you were talking about but to give you an idea we sold a 09 model 16-49-1 Outback (no shower/toilet) in August this year for $30K with full annexe plus the room on the end of annexe, no solar but had most extras. The Outbacks are about $1500 dearer i think, so in comparison mine was a good buy i recon. Good luck with your search.

Cheers.

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
we just picked up a new 16.49-1, we paid 39,200 with just about every option on it so think that your price is pretty good. we love our layout and think its perfect for kides as plenty of room . so i guess its just all up to personal choice , i think what ever gets you on the road and you are happy with

Thirstyviv

Jan 8, 2012
Sydney
+1 for that especially when it has most of the extras you could want unless you want a shower/toilet model.

Good luck with your search

Regards

Rob

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Are you in a hurry to buy? If not price a new one with the extras you want. If you are willing to pay those $$ then get serious with the salesman. You might be surprised.

It looks a good van. Agree with bike rack comments. I would have a good look under it. Looks to have an outback step, has it been on rough roads? Anyway if you are keen, put in an offer and see how you go.

With two growing kids another van to look for would be a 16.49.4 as it has bunk beds.

Good luck

Geoff

Expanda Virgins

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks everyone for your input, but this van has recently sold and it wasn't me who purchased it!
I love this forum. Very informative.