Installing Trumatic E 2400 Heater in a 16.49-3 Expanda

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Now for some more photos ...........first photo shows piece of timber attached to floor to which I will attach the heater...

P1040346.jpg

Heater in place - note the warm air outlet passes heated air out into the middle of the van - return air inlet is close to the wall of the van - I am hoping this setup should give good circulation of air...........

P1040348.jpg

P1040349.jpg

P1040360.jpg

P1040361.jpg

We tried it out the other night - van soon got nice and toasty.....!!
The other thing to note is that I have been replacing Jayco's plastic brackets that hold the furniture together with aluminium angle screwed and glued. Heaven help anyone who wants to pull the van apart one day!!

Bill

Reactions: Burnsy

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
The other change to our plans is that we will no longer be heading to the Flinders but rather into Victoria - Grampians, Great Ocean Road??? We collectively decided too much driving to get to the Flinders from Griffith for a 10 month old!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Nice work Bill, so basically you lost a draw under the seat. mine has the air con unit under that seat, so limited space
but guess we'll figure it out when time comes

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Nice job Bill, the aluminium angle is a lot better why jayco persist with those plastic crap things amazes me! all about the $$$$$!

Reactions: Billrw136

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Nice work Bill, so basically you lost a draw under the seat. mine has the air con unit under that seat, so limited space
but guess we'll figure it out when time comes
Yes - we didn't really use that space (only the two of us) - by doing what I have done I was able to set the ducting up exactly the way I wanted to.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Bill great thread, thanks for posting and others who contributed I've wanted to do this since day one. I notice yours is an Australian supplied one as it has the extra electronics. There is a mob sell them cheaper on eBay but all Australian supplied Gas heaters are modified to comply with our local gas regs.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Bill great thread, thanks for posting and others who contributed I've wanted to do this since day one. I notice yours is an Australian supplied one as it has the extra electronics. There is a mob sell them cheaper on eBay but all Australian supplied Gas heaters are modified to comply with our local gas regs.

Jim - I think that is very important (complying with local gas regs) - also very important to have licensed gas fitter to sign off on job - I am fortunate that the gas man is my son's father-in-law!! And a good friend.

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Jim - I think that is very important (complying with local gas regs) - also very important to have licensed gas fitter to sign off on job - I am fortunate that the gas man is my son's father-in-law!! And a good friend.

absolutley, it's great saving $400 to 500 and even though we are over sensitive in this litigious era. Gas is not to be sneezed at, the courts would "destroy" you if there was an incident involving injury or death to another person. To see how serious gas compliance is viewed, just look at your van paperwork. Jayco supplier a letter provided by a licensed plumber to exempt the fly mesh covering the ventilation for LPG purposes!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Bill. Why the pvc pipe for the return air, don't they supply much duct tubing? Curious as I have been thinking of getting one.

Cheers Geoff

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Bill. Why the pvc pipe for the return air, don't they supply much duct tubing? Curious as I have been thinking of getting one.

Cheers Geoff
Geoff - correct - not enough duct to set it up the way I wanted - refer to my photo "what's in the box" on page 1 of this thread and you will see the amount of duct supplied...
Not a big problem really as the PVC works fine...
Bill

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
By the way it will be getting a work out this weekend - sleeping in the van on our son's driveway in chilly Griffith!
Will post a report next week......