Installing Trumatic E 2400 Heater in a 16.49-3 Expanda

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Last week I purchased one of these as we are going to the Flinder's Ranges in the July school holidays with our son, his wife and their baby daughter.

Over the next few weeks I will post on this thread my trials and tribulations with doing this job!

Bill

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
I installed one of these in my 17.56-2 that used to be in my jayco flamingo. Have not used it in my expanda yet but it was fantastic in my old camper. I am thinking it might get its first run when I leave to go away tomorrow night

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Last week I purchased one of these as we are going to the Flinder's Ranges in the July school holidays with our son, his wife and their baby daughter.
Over the next few weeks I will post on this thread my trials and tribulations with doing this job!
Bill
Will follow your progress with interest. Hope not to many trials. Its a bit down the wish list here at the moment but we're getting older and feel the cold more. Would never use weather as an excuse not to get away though.:confused:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I'm also interested, especially as we are all starting to feel the cold now. The only thing that scares me is putting a big hole through the side of van for air intake, i wonder if this can be done through floor? It would make free camping in winter more comfortable though!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Next Installment - what's in the box...............
image.jpg
Now - to read the instructions again!

Bill

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Well isn't that interesting - I posted the photo from my iPad where it displays correct way up, but looking at it now on my iMac the image is upside down! Never mind.

Burnsy - a hole in the floor may be a possibility, though dirt etc may be a problem - there is a cover cap to put on when not in use. The other thing is that regulations do not allow the vent to be placed directly under a window that may be opened - if you do you are supposed to get an accessory from Trumatic that will automatically close the window if the heater is put on. This info is in the instructions. Where I want to put the heater is underneath one of the seats in the cafe dinette (the one without the batteries obviously!) and the window goes above this area. Maybe I could get away with a sign inside on the wall warning that the window must be closed when the heater is in use??

Xpandafan - yes I have been caught too many times before - I always read the instructions now!! Maybe a sign of my age.

Replaced some of the locks this afternoon with Camec one key fits all..........

Bill

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
....Xpandafan - yes I have been caught too many times before - I always read the instructions now!! Maybe a sign of my age....
Bill
I think more likely it's maturity, Bill.
Increased waistline, grey hair and forgetfullness are the only signs I'm experiencing. (& tendency to Grandpa naps).

Reactions: Billrw136

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We've been looking at have one installed in our van. been quoted anywhere from $1950 to $2400 supply and fit, will certainly make those winter bush/free camps at lot more comfy,

One installer asked if I had battery under the seat? yes
Do you have the A/C under the other seat? yes

"Well! your not leave'n me much choice where to put it" but he never said the exhaust couldn't go under the window, makes sence though.
I was thinking the unit could go to the right in the under bed storage area behind the shower, but then the ducting could only go in the same cupboard.

Oh well! guess they'll figure it out when the time comes.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Hey Billrw136,

My understanding is that the outlet needs to be placed a meter beyond any opening. So under the window does not work upfront. However having said this, AndrewC also on this forum has one of these units under the dinette as you are planning.

He got his compliance, but needed to close the window permanently. I think he placed a rivet through the lock. So the window can now not be opened. So that makes no opening to have an issue with.

I guess what you choose to do after that is up to you. We all know the heater works best with the window shut, so when u use it just make sure the window is shut. Unfortunately a sign will not do the trick for my knowledge.

Have fun with the install.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
TTBridge - yes, in the instructions it shows a no go zone directly under the window opening, however if the vent can be offset to either side it may be OK - I will be checking things out this weekend and will post photos...

Lara - yes, I know about the venting into the annex issue - again this is made clear in the instructions...

Thanks everyone for the interest you are showing - hopefully by the time this thread is finished it will be useful to others!

More soon!!

Bill

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
TTBridge - yes, in the instructions it shows a no go zone directly under the window opening, however if the vent can be offset to either side it may be OK - I will be checking things out this weekend and will post photos...

Lara - yes, I know about the venting into the annex issue - again this is made clear in the instructions...

Thanks everyone for the interest you are showing - hopefully by the time this thread is finished it will be useful to others!

More soon!!

Bill

Good to hear! good luck with the install, the family will be forever grateful for your efforts, especially on those chilly winter nights! Sounds like they'll owe you a drink or ten for this one!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Further investigation.......moved the van out today, took the cover off and sussed out the installation. Good news - the window is not as wide as I thought and there is a place for the exhaust outlet that is not directly under the window, so all will be legal. See photos......

This photo shows the area under the seat where the unit will go.....

P1040274.jpg

P1040278.jpg

Next photo shows the exhaust duct in position - red line is vertical line from the edge of the window.....

P1040280.jpg

This shows the outside of the van - again red vertical line edge of window and circle will be duct outlet....
P1040282.jpg

Finally a couple of random shots of tow vehicle and van.........
P1040286.jpg

P1040287.jpg

That's all for now........

Reactions: Xpandafan

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
What about the rear compartment end, that way you are away from the gas bottles.

I hadn't thought of that spot mainly because logistically more difficult to do - e.g. running the control wires to the spot near the solar controller, which is where I want to place the controller (bathroom is in the way). By the way what do you mean by "away from the gas bottles"?
Cheers

Bill