Installing Trumatic E 2400 Heater in a 16.49-3 Expanda

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
My advice would be to have a chat with your licensed gasfitter who will sign off on the job before you go too far. If he is happy with the location then all good. The location of the heater needs to conform with AS 5601. Appendix J of AS 5601 goes into locations of LP gas bottles and clearances to ignition sources. As an rough example and there is more to it, gas bottles have to be 1.5m away from an ignition source. Your heater may be 1.5m away but it may depend on where the flue/air intake is installed. Can be a few grey areas, such as bottles being around the corner etc, flue being deemed a mechanical air intake etc etc.

I had a look at the installation instructions and on Page 7 states must be installed as per gas regulaions AS 5601. Although the manufacturer puts guidelines in their instruction, they always state must be installed by licensed gasfitters etc etc and they always say must be installed as per AS 5601 (gasfitters bible/laws). This has other installation rules which come into play.

I hope I have not confused you, I would hate to see you do all that work and cutting only to find when you get it checked and finished by the Gasfitter, he says" why did you put it here".

Cheers Geoff

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thanks for clarifying Geoff - the gas fitter is a close friend (actually my son's father-in-law!) - I will be getting him to come around later this week before I do any cutting.
Again thanks very much for explaining to a lay person what you meant!

Cheers Bill

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Thats exactly where mine is installed and I will try and get some picture tonight for you.

I also installed some timber dividers aroung the unit so that some of the cavity was still useable for storage with out making contact with the unit. I will say this though, we used ours for the first time on the weekend and I installed the heater outlet duct under the table (next to the back of the drawer and angled the vent to the walkway). The heater sucessfully heats the whole of the caravan body section and reasonablly the front bed area, however, the rear bed is not as warm as what I hoped. our van is a 17.56-2 so you might be a little better off.

We have decided next time to try one of two things, a small fan on the floor over night to get the warm air circulating more, or a slip on duct that sits on the floor and directs the warm air down the van. This would be taken on and off each day so we don't trip over it.

Reactions: Billrw136
Last week I purchased one of these as we are going to the Flinder's Ranges in the July school holidays with our son, his wife and their baby daughter.

Over the next few weeks I will post on this thread my trials and tribulations with doing this job!

Bill

This has been an interesting and informative post.
We are looking at having the same heater installed in our 19' Sterling in a couple of weeks time. We were hoping to install it under the L shaped dinette, we do not use the space under these seats, but can now see it may be a problem due to the windows on this side of the van, even under the east west bed would not work because of the window.

I have been out to look at both sides of the van and there will be a problem finding a 1.5m distance from any window. We have a front kitchen and en suite, at back so no options there. Will be interesting to hear what Jayco have to say about installing the heater.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thats exactly where mine is installed and I will try and get some picture tonight for you.

I also installed some timber dividers aroung the unit so that some of the cavity was still useable for storage with out making contact with the unit. I will say this though, we used ours for the first time on the weekend and I installed the heater outlet duct under the table (next to the back of the drawer and angled the vent to the walkway). The heater sucessfully heats the whole of the caravan body section and reasonablly the front bed area, however, the rear bed is not as warm as what I hoped. our van is a 17.56-2 so you might be a little better off.

We have decided next time to try one of two things, a small fan on the floor over night to get the warm air circulating more, or a slip on duct that sits on the floor and directs the warm air down the van. This would be taken on and off each day so we don't trip over it.

Thanks Andrew - would love to see some pictures of your installation.

Bill

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Got some photos tonight, sorry for the quality as they were only taken on the phone

Controls above sink
Controls above sink.JPG

External vent
External vent.JPG

Indoor unit
Indoor unit 2.JPG

Indoor unit 2
Indoor unit.JPG

Vents under table
Vents under table.JPG

Reactions: Billrw136

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Well today's the day..........all installed.........working........fine tuning to come.....photos soon.........it works so well.....!!