Interior Ibis aircon

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thought Id start a review thread on the Ibis aircon.

The unit is a little noisier internally than I expected, and its very noticeable outside, I would think especially during the night. The units external vents right next to the roof sun hatch doesn't help.

I tested the power draw on the unit for use on a generator. The unit had a very soft startup, winding up slowly upto the constant of about 900watts, and remained constant at that for 20min or so. The 2kW genset didn't miss a beat. It wasn't a hot day, so that may have some effect.

On our unit, the internal roof deflector panel was mounted with the flip down control panel facing the back of the van ... toward the non paying customers. That made it impossible to get the full benefit from the remote control i.e. you couldn't see the panel from the front bed, and therefore can't see what the aircon was doing.

We had hot days and warm nights and cool mornings, so the when it was turned off it was on aircon. In the morning we needed heating, and needed to see the control panel to use the remote.
20141123_155930.jpg

I removed the inside roof defector panel, and found it can be simply and easily spun around. It is basically an isometrical deflection vent which is designed to be fitted facing either way.

There are 10 phillips screws holding the panel on, and the defector panel itself is connected to the frame by a 40cm retaining string/cord to stop the panel from falling once the screws are removed. The 6 small edge wood type screws, screw into the roof substrate (so don't over tighten), and the 4 longer screws in the centre area screw into the chassis of the aircon frame.
IMG_20141124_154412.jpg IMG_20141124_154656.jpg

The control panel is connected via a single plugged wire loom. Unplug the wiring; (theres plenty of length to play with) and run it to the other side, spin the panel cover, plug in the wire and screw the deflector panel back up.
IMG_20141124_155219.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We were in Surfers Paradise (Main Beach) over the xmas break and had an horrendously crap run of shite weather, stingers, jellys, sea lice ... and shite weather, and more shite weather.

But I digress ... we had a run of consecutive stinking hot days and nights. We left the aircon on for 6 days and it was fantastic. Wandering around the caravan park, when I came back to the van I struggled to hear the Ibis, at times thinking Mrs Crusty had turned it off.

I read with some disappointment others reviews of the Ibis aircon "only" getting down to mid 25 + degrees in hot temps. What they should have added was forget the temp reading, 25deg in an Ibis aircon'ed caravan was bloody cold and we found ourselves on more than one occasion raising the temp because it was too cold. My little man jumped under the doona to watch TV and it was 36+ outside.

The Ibis has a "sleep" button. Push it at bed timing and the aircon raises the temp 1 deg over an hour and reduces to fan speed to low so its whisper quiet during the night. Mrs Crusty is a light sleeper (and bit of a whinger) and the quietness got the "Mrs Crusty seal of approval", which is gold plated if you can get that.

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
@Crusty181 , we were in gold coast at the same time. (stayed at Nobby's). Our Ibis was on constantly as well and it was lovely. Im like your wife and like it quiet at night (luckily I was too buggered at night to care about the noise on this trip). Haven't used the sleep mode yet, but does it continue to increase in temp over the night, or just rise by 1 degree overall? (haven't read the book yet.....its still in the plastic along with the remote.)

Reactions: Crusty181

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks for kicking this thread off @Crusty181, particularly the info about being able to turn the deflector panel around. I was a bit puzzled about the drop down control panel facing towards the rear.

I will turn it around, however I have found that the remote works fine from the front bed if you leave the control panel clipped up.

In relation to the control panel, one thing I have found is that the thermostat sensor is located in the swing down panel, and there is a hole about 10-12mm in size that the cable passes through back into the main unit. When running, the cold/warm air blows out of this hole and into the control panel, and artificially influencing the thermostat temp.

I have put some electrical tape around the hole to try and reduce the air blowing into the hole straight out of the aircon, so it can better measure the air inside the van to control the thermostat.

With regard to the noise levels, I was happy with it up until our weekend away last, when we noticed the compressor was being very noisy on one of the days. Then the next day it was quiet again. I'm assuming it was rubbing on something due to the position of the van or something, but I'll need to keep an eye on it to potentially raise as a warranty issue for my 2nd service next month.

The only disappointing thing I have found with the Ibis so far, is using it on heating.

Having paid a significant amount extra for the Ibis instead of the Coleman because it was a true reverse cycle unit, I found that the first time we used it on a trip to Mudgee last year, the thud it makes when the compressor cuts in and out almost rocks the whole van. It certainly doesn't pass the quiet test whilst running at night with the thud every few minutes as the compressor cuts in and out.

I contacted Jayco, and they put me on to the Ibis technician. He told me that the compressor pressure is much higher when on reverse cycle, and the thud was quite normal.

As a result we now carry an oil filled column heater for winter, which is totally silent, and actually gives off a better heat as well.

If I had known that when I was optioning up the van, I would have thought twice about stumping up the extra $$$ for the Ibis.

I also find that Mrs @Bellbirdweb complains that the air doesnt reach her out on the end of the front bed, so find we have to run it on normal at night instead of using the sleep function, but because its pretty quiet this hasn't been a biggy.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Smirke just the 1 deg increase ... not really sure of the thinking behind that other than sleep temp probably doesnt need to be as cold as daytime and it gives the Ibis a headstart in the quiet low fan condition ... but im guessing

i intially thought the remote would be handy, but i havent bothered using it ... plus the damn remote changes stations on the Fusion stereo anyway.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
i intially thought the remote would be handy, but i havent bothered using it ... plus the damn remote changes stations on the Fusion stereo anyway.

I have the remote velcroed just behind my head so I can change it during the night. We dont have a fusion though, that would be annoying, blasting everyone out of bed when you were just trying to adjust the temp :drum:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Bellbirdweb our bed would be the same distance from the aircon as yours, and Mrs Crusty (to my annoyance) routinely closed the curtains to block the cold air during the night ... but that may have been before i found the sleep button

I turned the facia around to see the temp, but id need binoculars anyway, so although now it faces the correct way, the panel never gets flipped because i cant see it anyway

The compressor thump takes some getting used to. We havent needed the heater, but we never use a heater through the night.

I read as many reviews as i could find before we settled on the Ibis. Most of the brands had good and bad points, but the Ibis seemed to be unique in that no-one had a bad word to say about them.

Im not a fan of everse cycle heaters anyway, and i would have been surprised if the Ibis was what i consider good. The Herron in our little Expanda was a great aircon but average heater. Im happy with a blow heater.

Reactions: The Wadamses

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The remote for the TVs also frigs with the Fusion as well. It was funny at first .... now its just incredibly annoying.

You could imagine the senario sitting outside after a hard day doing nothing, relaxing with a tonic, listening to a bit of Nana Mouskouri and the little mans cartoon finishes and he starts channel surfing

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The remote for the TVs also frigs with the Fusion as well. It was funny at first .... now its just incredibly annoying.

You could imagine the senario sitting outside after a hard day doing nothing, relaxing with a tonic, listening to a bit of Nana Mouskouri and the little mans cartoon finishes and he starts channel surfing

Haha, gotta love a bit of Nana Mouskouri :)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland

I don't think a lot of people here would have heard of Nana Mouskouri but she is on a par with Suzanne Clachair. :boink:

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
Hi folks. We are looking at a 2nd hand 2011 18.57-8 Expanda with the Ibis AC. I'm assuming you both have the 2.4kw units? Curious to hear the 2kva genset keeps up with the demand of the AC as I have the option to get a Yamaha unit thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Paul Dunstan and welcome. "2.4kW units"? I'm assuming your referring to the aircon ... the current incarnation of the Ibis is 2.8kW cooling and 3kw heating, thats output of course. The earlier Ibis units didn't have a soft start, and I think that was the problem some owners experienced when using a genset. The new units are soft start, and quiet slow to wind up which is great for the gennie.

Ive mentioned on another recent thread, the temp in Melb this weekend is forecast for high 30's and in my factory that should max out at a respectable 40deg I'm guessing. I have a plug in power meter and I plan to give the 2kW Kipor a good test run in the heat (and give myself somewhere to get some relief from both the work and the heat) ... and ill post up the results.

The 2kW won't have too much left in reserve .... but in the heat, Ill happily take that trade off thanks very much. I actually only really have the generator for the aircon, I don't need mains power for much else, so the smallest genset which does the aircon was the limit of my needs.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have the remote velcroed just behind my head so I can change it during the night. We dont have a fusion though, that would be annoying, blasting everyone out of bed when you were just trying to adjust the temp :drum:
If I started fumbling around in the night with the remote, and wake up Mrs Happy Pants, Id likely end up with the remote embedded in my skull, and a black eye for my trouble ... plus I wouldn't be able to see the panel, and I probably turn on the heater ... again remote in the head, and black eye.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
If I started fumbling around in the night with the remote, and wake up Mrs Happy Pants, Id likely end up with the remote embedded in my skull, and a black eye for my trouble ... plus I wouldn't be able to see the panel, and I probably turn on the heater ... again remote in the head, and black eye.

All of that can and has happened to me :)

I'm getting to know where the buttons are now, but did switch it to heat inadvertently, so ended up having to get up anyhow.

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
Hi @Paul Dunstan and welcome. "2.4kW units"? I'm assuming your referring to the aircon ... the current incarnation of the Ibis is 2.8kW cooling and 3kw heating, thats output of course. The earlier Ibis units didn't have a soft start, and I think that was the problem some owners experienced hen using a genset. The new units are soft start, and quiet slow to wind up which is great for the gennie.

Thanks. Yeah the genset is maybe something I will try and if not I can flog it off to offset more toys ;)

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
What's the general opinion regarding roof mounted in the pop-top models? Long term I can't see the extra weight not doing the sturts and lifting mech any good.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

Haha, gotta love a bit of Nana Mouskouri :)

I don't think a lot of people here would have heard of Nana Mouskouri but she is on a par with Suzanne Clachair. :boink:

don't go Dissin' Nana....... she is my Idol
I have shaped my life on her....
even have the hairy Eyebrows, Moustach & Goatie of an 80 yr old Greek Lady.....to prove it..................

:behindsofa: