Interior Ibis aircon

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We Melbournites had a hot weekend, so it was a great opportunity to test the Kipor 2kW generator and Ibis aircon combo in some trying real world conditions.

Firstly the specs for the Kipor GS2000 2kW generator is almost identical to both the Honda and Yamaha 2kW models, so although every genset and every Ibis is slightly different it will serve as a starting point.

The temperture reached 35deg and it was a dry clear and hot day, more so in the direct sun. The aircon isn't proportional, its either on or off, so as long as the compressor was pumping, the ambient temperture shouldn't make a lot of difference to the aircons performance, and power requirments. Most of the variants would come from the genset itself i.e. ambient temp, air viscosity, lead length and size and output.

I sat the genset in full sun to give it as much of a hard time as possible, and ran a full 20mtr 15 amp lead . The temperature in the full sun was 44 deg.

The first test was running the aircon, setting the temp as low as would allow to keep the compressor constantly running, and running the Kipor on full throttle. The easiest ask for the Kipor i.e. no compressor thumping in and out, and no smart throttle cutting in and out. The combo worked fine and the over the 2 hour test, and the Kipor used exactly the spec listed 1ltr/hr of fuel ie 2 ptrs for the 2 hour run time.

The second test was setting the aircon temp at a more realistic 25deg, and setting the Kipor to smart throttle to measure any difference in capability and fuel consumption.

The Kipor had been warmed up for 5 minutes on full throttle, then before the Ibis was turned on the Kipor was flicked to smart throttle. The Ibis takes 3 minutes to cycle the compressor after starting. The Kipor had idled down per the smart throttle, and the first thump of the compressor knocked out the Kipor.

The Kipor was reset, and left with at full throttle. The Ibis was turned back on and after 3 minutes the compressor kicked in; and at full throttle the first test showed the Kipor would be fine with that. I switched the Kipor to smart throttle after 3 or 4 minutes, but as the compressor was running constantly bringing the van temp down from 29deg, the smart throttle was running at full anyway.

Once the van temp got down to the preset 25deg, the Ibis started to cycle. The trick was clearly not starting the Kipor on smart throttle, but allowing it to run for 5 minutes on full throttle before turning on the smart throttle. The test time was 3 hours, and Ibis cycled about every 3 minutes. The Kipor survived the compressor thump about 50 odd times, and the fuel usage pushed out to 3 hours for the same 2 ltrs used in the hour full throttle test.

Ill start a Kipor generator review thread and post the same info there for people to search

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
Ok. I had the idea that the soft start Ibis looked different but it looks the same as the one in the 2012 model. Obviously the external appearance hasn't changed.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
The aircon isn't proportional, its either on or off, so as long as the compressor was pumping, the ambient temperture shouldn't make a lot of difference to the aircons performance

Im not sure why you keep saying this, but ambient temp makes a huge difference to the gas pressures inturn making a difference to the power the compressor draws. The difference between a 30c day and a 40c day is almost half as much pressure again.

Reactions: Crusty181

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
ac-performance-chart.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @ShaneT I didnt know that. (actually I did, but I didnt know I did. I qualify that knowledge at the end of the post) My expert knowledge of aircons finishes after I switch it on, and (hopefully) cold air comes out. I made a lot of guesses, bit of thinking out loud, all in advance as to what might be the culprit if the Kipor didnt run the Ibis ... in the end it did run it, so I suppose it was all elementary.

Admittedly I wasn't focused on the power meter, or the aircon itself for that matter .... just hoping I didn't have to buy a bigger generator, so my narrow focus was actually on my wallet (which wasn't anywhere near either the aircon or the generator). I think I did glance at the power meter, and I cant recall any significant spike in power . I knew what aircon pulled out the generator on a mild day because I specifically tested it the day I picked up the van in Nov, so I would have thought I may have notice any significant difference; but that said, it would have been a glance and I certainly didn't consciously watch what the meter was doing.

If we get another hot day, Ill plug the aircon into the mains and watch the meter out of curiosity, Im very interested in that now. Ill post up those figures if we get the hot day.

It was still a successful test for me; my wallet stayed in my pocket.

A friend of mine is an aircon dude, and I now recall a conversation I had with him. He was developing a water misting unit to connect to domestic aircon condensors ..... which in turn reduced the pump pressure and allow the condenser run more efficiently in extreme heat; so clearly I was listening to him, I obviously just didn't care at the time. (I can vaguely remember nodding at the time like I did care. The important thing is he thought I was listening)

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
As well as temps, dust and spider webs on or in your condenser will also raise the pressure of the system aswell. To give it a real test you want the van in the sun to give you worst case, you want to get the condenser hot to make the compressor motor work.
Like I said somewhere else there is only a couple of cases (like 3) that I know of, of 2kw honda gen sets quiting.
They could of been in high temp high humidity, they could of had a dirty condensers, there condenser fan motor could of been on the way out, it could of been old fuel or a very dirty air filter on the genset aswell....who knows.
Anyway you got me excited with you test (sad I know), that i was going to do the same on our 41c and thunderstorm day just gone, I went and brought one of thoses power readers but I never got the van back in time :(

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was relatively confident the Kipor would handle it ok. I knew that the fuel consumption would be high and the smart throttle can struggle with big thumps. Interested to know if the Honda smart throttle can struggle with the big thumps also.

Very happy the Kipor handles the Ibis in a reasonably good test environment. The Ibis wasn't in the sun admittedly, but the Kipor would not normally be left in the sun .... so on balance, pretty happy. I think my hot test facilities may be over for this year

Reactions: skippy