NSW Green Patch {Jervis Bay}

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi People.

Just got back from a weekend away down at Green Patch Jervis Bay.

The camp area itself is in a large bush land setting on the southern side of Jervis Bay. {2 hours south of Sydney}.

Unlike Honeymoon Bay on the northern side of the bay, Green Patch has a nice clean ammenities block with toilets and hot showers. There are large sites and standard sites. I booked a large site thinking I`d need room for my van annexe car and gazebo, but after looking around I realise now that I could have saved myself another 50 bux and gone for some of the standard blocks. {45, 43, 41, 39, 37} are all standard size that easily fit vans.

The area is unpowered so those of us with 3 way fridges, solar panels & deep cycle batteries will be ok.

Probably the only negative point would be the fact that the sites are in a thick bushy area and not much grass. We found ourselves sweeping sane out of the van constantly.

SITE PIC 1.
photo-67.JPG

SITE PIC 2.
photo-68.JPG

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
The Beach is only a short walk from most camp sites and is spectacular.

This particular part of Jervis Bay boasts Beaches with the whitest sand you`ll ever sea. I think it's a misplaced Whitsunday Beach.

The water is crystal clear and great for swimming, snorkelling, fishing and kayaking. The good thing is that there`s a nice easy flat walk to the beach. If you have a kayak trolley you`ll be able to wheel it all the way to the waters edge without having to lift it anywhere.

Definitely one place worth a look people!

BEACH PIC 1
Green Patch Beach.jpg

BEACH PIC 2
Green Patch Beach 1.jpg

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Not every site has a tap, but there are fresh water taps around.

We have 2 x 80 litre water tanks with our van. I noticed when we got back home that one of our tanks was empty. So that`s 80 litres for 1 weekend away {3 days & 2 nights}. In saying that, we weren`t trying to minimise water use. We have a 12 volt pressure tap [one of the earlier mods I did - which I love}, and weren`t overly cautious with water waste.

Interesting to see just how quickly we go through water!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey coastrunner, I didn't even realize you could camp at honeymoon bay.
I thought you could do day trips and nothing else.
My family grew up down at Callala Bay and we would constantly do a picnic over to there.
The sands at green patch are some of the whitest sands in the world they say.
And for anyone with a decent boat, the mouth of Jarvis bay has a bombora. Great fishing!! But be careful when the bombora is active.
Lovely bay anyway.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
HI Expanda.

No I haven`t tried Hidden Creek?

Exactly where is it?

I`ve stayed at Huskisson White Sands Caravan Park, as well as the next one along {cant remember the name, also had a look at the holiday Park up at Woolamia but haven`t stayed there yet.

I often anchor my boat up on the public moorings and stay the night near "Hole in the Wall" Beach which is between Green Patch and Murays BEach on the southern end of Jervis Bay.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Brad.

Yes you can stay over and camp at Honeymoon Bay. I`ve done a weekend there.

It`s not open everyday all year round.

In know its open on weekends and all school holidays, any other time you need to ring and check if it`s open for campers.

I love Honeymoon Bay, but it`s the Mrs that needs convincing. It has a beautiful little beach out the front that is protected from nearly all winds, crystal clear water, white sands etc, BUT not amenities block. They supply several porta loos but no showers. You need to bring in everything including water. I think if you have your own portable shower and porta loo you may get the wives to go.

Like Green Patch, its also very bushy and not much grass so do tend to get sand in the van easily {My wifes pet hate}

Great spot though.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
I just spotted a map of Jervis Bay showing most of the popular spots.

Expanda, I just realised that Hidden Creek is the camp ground up at Woolamia. I often put my boat in at Myola and putt down that river and out and around the bay.

Jervis Bay Map

Jervis Bay Map.jpg

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Fish caught off Bowen Island near Pt Perpendicular. I have to be honest and admit that I always hold up my mates catches and claim them as my own. Not the best fisherman myself. Not through lack of trying though.
P4120101.JPG

Long Beach {Just around the corner from Honeymoon Bay}
Great Beach that is protected from the North Easterly winds. If you stay at Honeymoon Bay it`s definitely worth the 5 minute drive to Long Beach. Great swimming, snorkelling and boating spot.

Long Beach.jpg

My other Expanda. I simply pull the cover over at night and this little baby becomes a three man floating tent. Often seen rafting up to sailing boats anchored of Long Beach or Green Patch in Jervis Bay. {Name of boat "Coast Runner"}. I love running up and down the coast in my boat and van. Hence my name here.
boat.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So now you have me wondering coastrunner as to how you manage to get boat and van around?
Or is the boat purely a toy used closer to home?

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Brad.

I have taken both boat and van away at times, but only when we`re away for 2 weeks, and only when it`s within 2 hours from home {Kiama}.

Other than that, I often do days out on Lake Illawarra, or off the coast of Kiama and often down around Jervis Bay. I have family at Callala Bay so often take advantage of that too. Leaving my boat down there over summer and use it from time to time. In my opinion Jervis Bay is the best. So many Whitsunday spots. Theres beaches that protect you from any wind. Long Beach in the NE winds, Murrays Beach, Green Patch in the southerlys and even up the river if the winds are everywhere.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey coast runner, if you don't mind me asking, what street in Callala bay? My family used to own a house on chapman street.
My grandfather was the founding president of the progress association down there. I remember when there was only one road ash felted and the rest was dirt roads. Bet it is different now.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Brad. Morton Street, near the tennis courts. I don`t think that the place has changed much, at least in the old part of Callala Bay. Theres a huge new estate and group of shops up the north western end, but the original older part still has that nice quiet feel about it.

A great spot. I could easily retire to a place like Callala Bay.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great report Coast Runner. I have been to Green Pacth for day trips (from the Gong) a few times, but never camped there. Its a nice spot thats for sure, but very popular and crowded in summer (like everywhere i guess).

We normally go to the caravan park in Currarong, and do day trips to Honymoon Bay as well. My favorite beach on the south coast, good for the kids. We have been talking about camping in the military reserve there when its open on weekends but haven't followed through yet on our plans. You have inspired me to get cracking though.

Your lucky to be so close to these spots.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Moto.

Just keep in mind that the camp site at Honeymoon Bay only has porta-loos and no amenities block.

I don`t mind that but the wife struggles. I think if I were to stay there again I`d make sure I take my shower tent and portable 12 volt shower.

Apart from that, I think it`s one of the nicest places around.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yeah we are pretty well setup with our van with the external shower and a Porta Loo. I have an awesome shower tent (not one of those horrible popup ones) and it all works really well when bush camping. Got to keep the better half happy:biggrin: