Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I didn’t even notice the beer cans it’s about the only Queensland product I can’t handle
Hi,
I drank XXXX for years when it was pretty well much the only beer you could order from the tap in a pub.
Then Bond came along, changed the head office to Perth, the head brewer Bernie Powers moved on when the new owners insisted on installing a continuous brewing process to replace vat brewing, and started a trade war with NSW and Victoria, which they lost big time.
The new beer tasted awful, and you could then buy just about any beer you wanted in a pub. Never really drank XXXX after that episode.

Well that's my recollection.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Drover and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh look, Dans has XXXX for $45 a carton, while others are $56, XXXX wins, next week someone else gets my money...... Been a long wait for my beer of choice has been at a good price Coopers Dry, I actually like TED as well but the local has it at $60 a carton............... and I don't buy those craft beers, too bluddy expensive and they use those little bottles 330ml, now Kosicusko is a nice drop just big bickies........... Coopers or Fifty Lashes though are my favs.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Oh look, Dans has XXXX for $45 a carton, while others are $56, XXXX wins, next week someone else gets my money...... Been a long wait for my beer of choice has been at a good price Coopers Dry, I actually like TED as well but the local has it at $60 a carton............... and I don't buy those craft beers, too bluddy expensive and they use those little bottles 330ml, now Kosicusko is a nice drop just big bickies........... Coopers or Fifty Lashes though are my favs.
Since the great lockdown started my craft beer barrel has been getting a bit of a workout ( home brew sounds a bit common) Morgan’s do some really nice blends top three are stockmans draught Queensland lager and Queensland draught next is coopers real ale and colony west do good soft drinks Sars, ginger beer And lemonade , when she who must be obeyed kindly suggests that I am visiting the beer fridge a little too often I make the show of pouring soft drink ,(half the bottles are primed to be the same strength as the beer) I hope the lockdown ends soon as the bar fridge is starting to look good earlier each day

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Beer is such a peasants selection.
true,especially when you are living in an area where the weather does not allow you outside much, i have tried cider but not to our taste, years ago i tried wine but it takes too long to find out if its any good,and living here with our near perfect weather, i would need a wine cellar for it to mature correctly, i could borrow a still but if i can get in trouble with beer imagine the trouble i would get in with spirits by litre

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
the bar fridge is starting to look good earlier each day

Thank god its not just me .............:D:D:D:D:D ............................ Made Home brewed for decades but got rid of all my gear when I moved, just couldn't be stuffed ginning around anymore, started making it in the 70's when it was totally flying blind and made some fantastic rocket fuel then, 2 tallies would lay you out very economical............... though seriously thinking of a still, tried to talk Mrs D into a few weeks back as a good way to make our own sanitizer, I have Aloe Vera in the garden, make up a litre of hand clean and a litre of throat gargle.............. Fridge is ful of beer and my throat gargle bottles are empty on the shelf but I'm still trying, working on the money saving and how I can make it while travelling, she has this strange idea I would over indulge in the gargling side of things
, she may be right ......

A Peasant plucker pith pot ..................

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Spoken like a true Toyota owner

I went to my mates 90th birthday last year, he has stills everywhere and supplies the locals with rum and bourbon he makes about $250 a week from it the silly old bugger. He still drinks straight rum every day but I’m not old enough yet apparently
My brother has one of those sugar box pretend stills. Although what it produces could never be confused for the real thing, some of it could be passed off as reasonably drinkable particularly when the cost saving is taken on board. Damn it, now I looking to buy one .... thanks for inserting that idea >:(

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well you will be pleased to know I have given up the XXXX and possibly all grog, well maybe from later this year......... Got the Sailmakers kit out to throw some homeward bounders on Big Mals awning as some of the stitching was letting go in places, crap should have left well enough alone, closer inspection showed a bit of delaminating but I did find a small tear which along with the other stitching is all fixed, the delaminated spots I gave them a smear of silastic, seems to work well on small holes so give it a go, should get another tour out of it while I save the $800 smackers needed to replace it, cheaper than time I looked at a 17ft awning, price will rise heaps when I decide to buy one of course......................

Disregard the first line no way I'm going to go on the wagon, what a stupid thought..... Sit back this arvo in my Maroons T shirt, shorts and gettas with a cold XXXX in hand...................

The Fish.jpg

Reactions: Bluey and mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@DRW Im now deep down the path of researching the various distilling process hardware options. Fermenting and distilling from scratch with, in my case, a home made bourbon mash produces output at well under $4 per bottle, and using an electric sugar box style for booze cordial output is around $10 per bottle. The way we inhale the stuff, it would pay for itself before the box it came in was collected by the next weeks Garbo

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well you will be pleased to know I have given up the XXXX and possibly all grog, well maybe from later this year......... Got the Sailmakers kit out to throw some homeward bounders on Big Mals awning as some of the stitching was letting go in places, crap should have left well enough alone, closer inspection showed a bit of delaminating but I did find a small tear which along with the other stitching is all fixed, the delaminated spots I gave them a smear of silastic, seems to work well on small holes so give it a go, should get another tour out of it while I save the $800 smackers needed to replace it, cheaper than time I looked at a 17ft awning, price will rise heaps when I decide to buy one of course......................

Disregard the first line no way I'm going to go on the wagon, what a stupid thought..... Sit back this arvo in my Maroons T shirt, shorts and gettas with a cold XXXX in hand...................

View attachment 65023

Todays best tip is smear a UV stable clear (white just gets dirty real quick) silicon over all the exposed stitching on your awning, particularly the top side and that all but eliminates the sun dissolving all the awning stitching. Ive done it to both the current, and last vans, awning and they remain unaffected and you cant see the silicon.

As for that oddly place fish pic in an awning repair post, you are not holding todays newspaper so it doesn't count ... in fact you loose a point because your just dropping a slipper into Victorians whilst they're down