Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yes, unfortunately (or stupidly).
@mikerezny , Maryborough in sunny (almost Covid free) Queensland is not in "lock down" and is still waiting for you when you get free in Melbourne Victoria. But running the gauntlet of crossing NSW at the moment would be dangerous and then you have to pass the "test" to get into Queensland. Stay safe!

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lovely sunny day in MaryB today, light breeze with Diesel at Puma with 4c/lt discount at $1.38/lt ..................... another VIC number plate would hardly be noticed.....

Another friend is at Julia Creek, says its still chockers at free camp and park, the Vics can't get back home yet............ could be worse places to be stuck though.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Lovely sunny day in MaryB today, light breeze with Diesel at Puma with 4c/lt discount at $1.38/lt ..................... another VIC number plate would hardly be noticed.....

Another friend is at Julia Creek, says its still chockers at free camp and park, the Vics can't get back home yet............ could be worse places to be stuck though.
Got friends of mine at Bargara east of Bundaberg. They did not intend to stay so long (no space!) but fortunately a Vic had to leave urgently for home in Melbourne. Now able to stay a further 10 days instead of returning to Brisbane. Had trouble getting into parks all the way back from Cairns - sorry, can only give you 3 days and you have to move sites too, and next two towns they wanted to stay had no vacancies for over a week. So move on and hope!!
Friends say that a lot of Vics want to get home, but to do so means crossing NSW within 24 hours without any overnight stays to avoid quarantine? Bit much for elderly travellers with big vans and only one driver. So most are staying put (where they can) and running around like chooks with heads cut off wondering when/if/how to get back home to Victoria. So it looks like we will be seeing them around for some time! Poor bustards.!! At least the weather is better here than Victoria.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Boots in Action thats what I'm getting from friends, even a bit like that off gridding but more so near the major highways, can run into NT and thru SA to get back, have a few mates who did that, requires planning as SA and NSW need you to run the gauntlet in 24hrs, but QLD major spots are clogged up more than usual ....................... Can run to ACT which is a green zone then jump to Victoria and still keep within the safe zones but still can't stop in NSW so make sit a long haul which many cannot do....... the secret to long runs is drive for 2 stop for a cuppa (20 min), walk around while Mum boils the billy, then roll again, amazing how that will get you a 10 hour run, unless you gin about at 80kph of course. See many that have a totally bad seat set up as well, like they are in a lounge chair......but thats another thread..................
Will the weather be nice enough to take the boat out tomorrow, now that is the question..................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While events at Nhill have been put back, so I thought maybe with luck I might get there BUT the Kingaroy Bacon Fest has been canned till next year, I had a nice LWE planned for a 2 hr run from home...... Im not happy... Looking at NT for next run but probably full of trapped Vics and NS Welshmen........
Canberra and NSW being flushed down the S bend so maybe Anna shut the gates early enough to hold this wave back.... RC for sure.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not only Big Mal gets upgrades, the shed 50" plasma can now show all the HD channels, I like the Netball, Cricket, V8s in full HD.....plugged a new STB in so will run the MP4 channels... IMG_20210814_155643.jpg

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
For anybody who thinks vehicles dont work hard and need earlier fluid changes when towing ,2010 WH GC diesel 200000 ks .8 weeks away towing 2.5 ton JOB poptop. 8500 klms towing 99% on sealed roads.The average moving speed was just on 90 kph,highest coolant temp was 117F ,highest fuel consumption 19 lph.av 15.3 . Highest towing speed 127 kph.I suppose 3/4 of the moving time would have been around 100 kph.! Couple of times 6-7 hour runs.Especially run from Rainbow Bch to Yamba to beat any lockdown.Changed the oil at Bowen at 6500klms ,bit like black paint,Penrite 5w 40 Eco synthetic ,actual Mann filter was distorted ! Used around 1.2 litres of oil.Run a Provent 200 which did its job.Did a service this week .Replaced all Dayco idler pulleys plus Dayco Belt tensioner plus belt ,done 70000 klms :since new two years ago and all bearings in pulleys rs with grease in them like clay.Replaced all glow plugs ,plus this week will remove and clean egr.5 spd Merc auto fluid smells and looks like new.But do have 2 litre larger atf pan fitted .Just wondering what the grease in the front hubs and cv joints in front driveshafts would be like at these klms. ? Can not complain re performance of this JGC .Towed nearly all its life since new and never let us down.Touch wood.!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
For anybody who thinks vehicles dont work hard and need earlier fluid changes when towing ,2010 WH GC diesel 200000 ks .8 weeks away towing 2.5 ton JOB poptop. 8500 klms towing 99% on sealed roads.The average moving speed was just on 90 kph,highest coolant temp was 117F ,highest fuel consumption 19 lph.av 15.3 . Highest towing speed 127 kph.I suppose 3/4 of the moving time would have been around 100 kph.! Couple of times 6-7 hour runs.Especially run from Rainbow Bch to Yamba to beat any lockdown.Changed the oil at Bowen at 6500klms ,bit like black paint,Penrite 5w 40 Eco synthetic ,actual Mann filter was distorted ! Used around 1.2 litres of oil.Run a Provent 200 which did its job.Did a service this week .Replaced all Dayco idler pulleys plus Dayco Belt tensioner plus belt ,done 70000 klms :since new two years ago and all bearings in pulleys rs with grease in them like clay.Replaced all glow plugs ,plus this week will remove and clean egr.5 spd Merc auto fluid smells and looks like new.But do have 2 litre larger atf pan fitted .Just wondering what the grease in the front hubs and cv joints in front driveshafts would be like at these klms. ? Can not complain re performance of this JGC .Towed nearly all its life since new and never let us down.Touch wood.!
Good points @BJM . Prevention and early maintenance is always going to keep you going longer and with greater reliability!! Although I have Provent type oil catch can, I was under the belief that the Mann filter was a superior unit. Looks like you have disproved that theory!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have always found the oil is black as pitch on all diesels big or small, interesting about the filter being distorted, haven't used Manns since the WG days, was shocked way back then when I pulled out the tranny filter to discover instead of Germany as all the others were it was China and the others followed suit later on............. use either Ryco or Wesfil filters now in mine, change the lot except tranny every 10K, bulk buy so not worth stuffing around as it works out $180 a service.............. Send us the numbers for your idler pulleys so I check against my list that I have the correct ones listed, was thinking of changing them at 100K have found the grease in them to be a very firm putty like stuff. When I pulled the front drive shaft CV off on the WG way back the grease was surpisingly good along with the hubs from what I could see, a few water crossings too boot............... Did my MAP yesterday and popped the EGR diffuser pipe gace it a clean, looked inside the manifold, what a yucky thing to behold and thats with a can fitted, love to rip it off and give the whole system a clean and shut down the whole EGR system, not paying the dollars for a remap ....... Have no idea what the WK2 bearings are like as haven't needed to take a hub off....... Certainly need to service more than the recommended intervals in vehicles nowadays, they are stretching it out so it looks good on the data sheet and PR blurb.....

Reactions: BJM

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Have always found the oil is black as pitch on all diesels big or small, interesting about the filter being distorted, haven't used Manns since the WG days, was shocked way back then when I pulled out the tranny filter to discover instead of Germany as all the others were it was China and the others followed suit later on............. use either Ryco or Wesfil filters now in mine, change the lot except tranny every 10K, bulk buy so not worth stuffing around as it works out $180 a service.............. Send us the numbers for your idler pulleys so I check against my list that I have the correct ones listed, was thinking of changing them at 100K have found the grease in them to be a very firm putty like stuff. When I pulled the front drive shaft CV off on the WG way back the grease was surpisingly good along with the hubs from what I could see, a few water crossings too boot............... Did my MAP yesterday and popped the EGR diffuser pipe gace it a clean, looked inside the manifold, what a yucky thing to behold and thats with a can fitted, love to rip it off and give the whole system a clean and shut down the whole EGR system, not paying the dollars for a remap ....... Have no idea what the WK2 bearings are like as haven't needed to take a hub off....... Certainly need to service more than the recommended intervals in vehicles nowadays, they are stretching it out so it looks good on the data sheet and PR blurb.....
My 2010 is a WH with Mercmotor.not WK2 .Was surprised re oil filter distortion ..Usually order ex RockAuto,this time SparesBox took two weeks.Got the metal Dayco idlers this time as can replace the bearings.Grease they put in them is rubbish .What was the MAP like.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My 2010 is a WH with Mercmotor.not WK2 .Was surprised re oil filter distortion ..Usually order ex RockAuto,this time SparesBox took two weeks.Got the metal Dayco idlers this time as can replace the bearings.Grease they put in them is rubbish .What was the MAP like.
Oh yea I forgot that your is a WH, have you tried MB Spares at Fyshwick used to buy all filters and some other bits from there, just used MB numbers ............. Sensor was a bit oily and black but not clogged up and tarry, 25K since last clean, think I might have oil in the intercooler as filter side of intercooler isn't very oily....... I'm ignoring it...... I think last idlers (WG) I got them from Repco, walk in, walk out and didn't break the bank...... not keen on those plastic ones either.