Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Beer is such a peasants selection.
true,especially when you are living in an area where the weather does not allow you outside much, i have tried cider but not to our taste, years ago i tried wine but it takes too long to find out if its any good,and living here with our near perfect weather, i would need a wine cellar for it to mature correctly, i could borrow a still but if i can get in trouble with beer imagine the trouble i would get in with spirits by litre

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
the bar fridge is starting to look good earlier each day
Thank god its not just me .............:D:D:D:D:D ............................ Made Home brewed for decades but got rid of all my gear when I moved, just couldn't be stuffed ginning around anymore, started making it in the 70's when it was totally flying blind and made some fantastic rocket fuel then, 2 tallies would lay you out very economical............... though seriously thinking of a still, tried to talk Mrs D into a few weeks back as a good way to make our own sanitizer, I have Aloe Vera in the garden, make up a litre of hand clean and a litre of throat gargle.............. Fridge is ful of beer and my throat gargle bottles are empty on the shelf but I'm still trying, working on the money saving and how I can make it while travelling, she has this strange idea I would over indulge in the gargling side of things
, she may be right ......

A Peasant plucker pith pot ..................

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Beer is such a peasants selection.
Spoken like a true Toyota owner

I went to my mates 90th birthday last year, he has stills everywhere and supplies the locals with rum and bourbon he makes about $250 a week from it the silly old bugger. He still drinks straight rum every day but I’m not old enough yet apparently

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Spoken like a true Toyota owner

I went to my mates 90th birthday last year, he has stills everywhere and supplies the locals with rum and bourbon he makes about $250 a week from it the silly old bugger. He still drinks straight rum every day but I’m not old enough yet apparently
My brother has one of those sugar box pretend stills. Although what it produces could never be confused for the real thing, some of it could be passed off as reasonably drinkable particularly when the cost saving is taken on board. Damn it, now I looking to buy one .... thanks for inserting that idea >:(

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well you will be pleased to know I have given up the XXXX and possibly all grog, well maybe from later this year......... Got the Sailmakers kit out to throw some homeward bounders on Big Mals awning as some of the stitching was letting go in places, crap should have left well enough alone, closer inspection showed a bit of delaminating but I did find a small tear which along with the other stitching is all fixed, the delaminated spots I gave them a smear of silastic, seems to work well on small holes so give it a go, should get another tour out of it while I save the $800 smackers needed to replace it, cheaper than time I looked at a 17ft awning, price will rise heaps when I decide to buy one of course......................

Disregard the first line no way I'm going to go on the wagon, what a stupid thought..... Sit back this arvo in my Maroons T shirt, shorts and gettas with a cold XXXX in hand...................

The Fish.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@DRW Im now deep down the path of researching the various distilling process hardware options. Fermenting and distilling from scratch with, in my case, a home made bourbon mash produces output at well under $4 per bottle, and using an electric sugar box style for booze cordial output is around $10 per bottle. The way we inhale the stuff, it would pay for itself before the box it came in was collected by the next weeks Garbo

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well you will be pleased to know I have given up the XXXX and possibly all grog, well maybe from later this year......... Got the Sailmakers kit out to throw some homeward bounders on Big Mals awning as some of the stitching was letting go in places, crap should have left well enough alone, closer inspection showed a bit of delaminating but I did find a small tear which along with the other stitching is all fixed, the delaminated spots I gave them a smear of silastic, seems to work well on small holes so give it a go, should get another tour out of it while I save the $800 smackers needed to replace it, cheaper than time I looked at a 17ft awning, price will rise heaps when I decide to buy one of course......................

Disregard the first line no way I'm going to go on the wagon, what a stupid thought..... Sit back this arvo in my Maroons T shirt, shorts and gettas with a cold XXXX in hand...................

View attachment 65023
Todays best tip is smear a UV stable clear (white just gets dirty real quick) silicon over all the exposed stitching on your awning, particularly the top side and that all but eliminates the sun dissolving all the awning stitching. Ive done it to both the current, and last vans, awning and they remain unaffected and you cant see the silicon.

As for that oddly place fish pic in an awning repair post, you are not holding todays newspaper so it doesn't count ... in fact you loose a point because your just dropping a slipper into Victorians whilst they're down

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
your just dropping a slipper into Victorians whilst they're down
I hadn't even thought of that, brilliant, I was actually just showing off my Maroons Shirt with Logo for the Fish Poacher to drool over, the actual fish was a bonus, in fact since the pic is a few years old, the fish and the Mo are long gone....... Elliot Heads a fine place to stay.

I'll do a job on the stitching might give it a bit more time....... should have kept up the bees wax.

PS: Damn I'm still a good looking bloke..................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Other than still waiting for the cold weather, life is still bluddy exciting....:cheer2::cheer2: up here in QUEENSLAND.................... Not really I want to hit the road and like everyone sick of Virus stuff on the news every minute lets have some more comedy with the Trumpster...................:couch2:

Now that thread where we wandered off into Vehicle Mods again, one of those Federal Docs I put up I had another quick graze of the tome with my image sensors and I spied something that could start a whole new thread .o_O...................................As I was contemplating putting a genny box on the back I thought I would, while I had it handy, see what it said, It seems that adding stuff to the back of the van is changing the length and is thusly not allowed unless you have the rig re-engineered, Big Mal has its huge spare wheel hanging off the back some 500mm, so the genny box wouldn't protude beyond it so I'm in the clear...I imagine lots wouldn't with some coffin sized boxes hanging on the rear.................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Other than still waiting for the cold weather, life is still bluddy exciting....:cheer2::cheer2: up here in QUEENSLAND.................... Not really I want to hit the road and like everyone sick of Virus stuff on the news every minute lets have some more comedy with the Trumpster...................:couch2:

Now that thread where we wandered off into Vehicle Mods again, one of those Federal Docs I put up I had another quick graze of the tome with my image sensors and I spied something that could start a whole new thread .o_O...................................As I was contemplating putting a genny box on the back I thought I would, while I had it handy, see what it said, It seems that adding stuff to the back of the van is changing the length and is thusly not allowed unless you have the rig re-engineered, Big Mal has its huge spare wheel hanging off the back some 500mm, so the genny box wouldn't protude beyond it so I'm in the clear...I imagine lots wouldn't with some coffin sized boxes hanging on the rear.................
I will stand corrected, and dont know where I "know" this from but I think down here in Mexico its all about that length v axle v overhang thing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm never go to run out of things to do on Big Mal, as I threw the brushes in the bin after doing underneath the floor with Chassis Black and Deadener, we are ready to get the hell out of here, when I thought nothing left to do, suddenly new curtains to hang and I discover that my perspex shower screen has a nice big horizontal crack across it, gaffa tape maybe ???????

Had a brain wave with painting underneath this time, no spray gun and paint brush I used a small roller, just cut in with a brush, hardly made any mess on concrete or me, I'm never doing it again thats it, all should be nicely sealed for another few years after that I won't care..........