Gibb River Road

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Looking forward to your trip up dates Bush Palace as we will be doing the GRR late agian, Sept and Oct this year it was hot last time we did it that time but nice and quite.

At least our 3 month old and 2 year old then are now 6 and 8 and we have A/C this time so should be a bit more relaxing, then coming down the West coast.

Christian

image0001.jpg image0002.jpg

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Looks like a panda fest on the GRR. We are doing it in August this year also. From Melbourne, up the middle, along the GRR, down the coast, across the bottom and home - 3-4 months. Myself and the misses, oh and three daughters....assuming I fit all the fishing gear in first!

Hi to all my name is jason, my family and i travelled the gibb river road last year we towed our jayco expanda 17.56.2 and had a great time the van had a lot of things done to it by me to make it ready for this trip, i took it to the top of cape york, weipa, and then over to western australia for the kimberlys, here is a video i have just made of the kimberly section the cape one is on the way, we took the van right upto the mitchell plateau also and had a ball the only thing that broke was the microwave plate, the kalumburru road was rough as when we did it corrugations for the whole way nearly, so make sure you stop and check things as you are going, every night i cheacked wheel nuts etc. just take your time. if anyone needs more info email me thanks heres the video link

[video=youtube;3KK9X1cnMrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KK9X1cnMrA[/video]

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hey Jason,

Thanks very much for recording and sharing your trip with us, we are heading to the Kimberly & the Cape next year and that makes me want to go now! We weren't planning on taking the van past Cook Town as we were told that taking the van any further would limit us from doing the hard to get to spots, having taken your van to the top what's you opinion? Looing forward to the next video!!!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Thanks so much for that! Big applause must go to the Cruiser & the van, but I would have to reserve the biggest for the video camera and operator! Well Done:horn:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I agree. An inspiring video. Kept my wife awake while I watched it on my phone in bed last night. Couldn't put it down!

Hi everyone thanks for the comments, we would recommend doing this trip with your van, but just remember I did a heap of things to the van before leaving some of them are every screw inside and outside of the van was taken out one at a time and put back with liquid nails, all the electrics under the van was covered with garden hose pipe to protect them, and every pipe that went through the floor was resealed with seam sealer and then the whole of the underneath of the van was painted in bitumen paint to water proof it, we had mud guards protecting all the waste pipes and water tanks etc, we also had a vent on the top of the roof with a filter system on it to prevent dust which I have to say worked great, we did meet others with more expensive van that had heap more dust in them than we did, you will never stop all of it as you take in with you on your feet and clothes and we also had 3 little kids with us so that made it harder, but we kept everything clean and dry so we were very happy. We also had the simplicity suspension fitted at the factory and I think this made a big difference in the way the van travelled.
Drewy to answer your question about taking the van up to the top, I would and did so yes it can be done, but you just have to take your time and make sure it’s setup to do this sort of trip, we started the cape section at cook town and drove the whole of battler camp road which was beautiful and worth every bit of it, if you go this way stay the night at Laura river free camp and stay on the river bed this way an awesome spot. There are plenty of places to camp along the way, not so many free camps but plenty of homesteads that let you camp there for a fee, we stayed two nights at bramwell home stead and had a ball the people there were great, and then we went along the old telegraph track from there without the van, this is very rough and should only be done if you have some degree of experience in 4wd driving, we had water up to the middle of our windscreen on one of the water crossing that was a stressful I can tell you.
Here is a video of us crossing a washout heading to Weipa after we did the cape this is a short cut lovely road but rough as
[video=youtube;lnGDVJaNxBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnGDVJaNxBM[/video]
I have more videos I’ll keep posting them for you, we are planning our next trip to leave this time next year we are going over the Simpson desert then linking up to the canning stock route to do the northern part of it and yes we are taking the jayco!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Great vidoes Jason.
You got me all enthused again. I got home from work yesterday and sat down to look at all our video from the trip.
maybe I should make the effort to edit them and post them up too.

Geez you did some work to the van before you left!!
Unfortunately I picked up our van 5 days before we left so it was literally hook up and go. No time to do anything to it.

As for taking the van to the top of Cape York, it would be fine, as Jason said.
I wish we had of now but we got conflicting advice beforehand, so chose to leave it in Cooktown.
The Battlecamp Rd. was probably slightly better than the Kalumburu Rd, so no issues there.

Just use the bypass roads to Bamaga with the van, set it up as a base camp and explore from there.
I would take tents so you can camp along the OTT.

hey matty4
we had the same thing every man and his dog telling me I was mad to try and take a van up the cape and especially a jayco, a lot of people with Kedron’s and bush trackers said I wouldn't make it, so I enjoyed it at the top when I saw them in the same camp site as me in their tents,hehe very funny! I have a sick sense of humour. but look I’m sure anyone that takes there time can do this and we were in no rush so in parts we got down to 20k's but that’s all good when you get bored just pull off and have a tea and a look around.