Gibb River Road

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Has anyone taken their Expanda down the Gibb River Road? We have heard different reports from various sources and know that it varies lots depending on when it has been graded and the weather etc. Would be interested to hear from others with first hand experience.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Kimlouise, we took our Jayco Eagle along the GRR and Tanami in 06 with no problems (just need to do a lot of dust sealing under van and vents), we are also trying to head there later this year taking the Expanda this time. The main thing is lower tyre pressure and keep your speed down so you can pull up in time if there's a wash outs or rough patches.

Christian

image0023.jpg image0007 (2).jpg image0003.jpg

Reactions: kimlouise

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey there kimlouise were leaving adelaide on the 5th may and heading up to the gibb r.r for a 5 week adventure cant wait ....

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Thanks CD,
yes we took 3 Expandas across the GRR back in 2010 and all the way up to Kalumburu as well...
The greeting you get as you turn onto the road heading west..
IMG_3546.jpg
All of us airing down (I'm the 3rd van, lucky last...hehe)
DSCN6604.gif
Pentecost River crossing (not a lot of water in it that time of year
DSCN6684.gif

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Did you let the tyres down on the panda and did you have the nitrogen in the tyres?
Yes we did let the tyres down and no we didn't have nitrogen in them!!!!.....lol (My personal opinion is it's an absolute waste of time in a caravan tyre.)
We spent 11 days along the GRR including 3 days up at Kalumburu. The Kalumburu Rd to Drysdale Station was the worst for corrugations. I finally settled on 26psi in the Pajero and 22psi in the 'panda. Found this to be the best at preserving the van as we only have the standard suspension. Travelled at about 55-60km/h and whilst still very noisy and uncomfortable, I was able to maintain full control and minimise damage. Any slower was just more painful.

The GRR on the other hand had sections smooth enough to travel at 90km/h and beyond. Very easy going.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
How much fun does that look!!!! Great shots. Any particular tips you think we should know??
Take your time, don't rush through in 4-5 days, there's far too much to see and do.
We were without 240v power for the entire 11 days so make sure you have enough "other" options for power. A solar panel would be a must as a minimum for that length of time if I was to do it again.
We only had the one 100amp/hr battery with no solar or genny, so after a few days the battery would last maybe 3 hours or so for lights before shutting down. We then had to resort to plugging the car in and using the aux battery off that.
I know that if you camp at Drysdale Station you can hook into 240v and give the batteries a good charge, but we didn't camp there.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Matty

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey Matty there is some pics I haven't seen before, how about posting some more up in your Expanda thread I'd like to see a few more of your trip :thumb: Some beautiful country up that way which we hope to get too!!

:tea: Adam

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
There was a good magazine article on taking an expanda across the GRR published last year. It may be online as well

richjall

Oct 19, 2011
Canberra
Expanding the Gibb

We are also giong to travel the Gibb this July/August and I too was a bit worried. I too read any article I could on towing a van on the Gibb RR and all looks OK. Last year I went to the 4WD show in Sydney and spoke to Graham Cahill from 4WD Action who had done that exact trip with an Expanda. His advice was simple. Don't go flat out and you will have no problems at all. Everyone I have spoken to or articles I have read have backed this up. The suspension is more than up for the journey.
Less than 4 months until we kick off our lap

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Go for it, guys. While I didn't tow a van. I did the GRR etc in 2006 and it is a magnificent trip. I'd love to do it again some day. :madgrin: