Electrical Foxtel in the van.

Chris and Mandy

Oct 6, 2014
Melbourne
Thanks guys. Very helpful crusty181. As much as my little guy needs his Disney fix, I can't miss my oh so hard to watch Tigers. When we went to Uluru a couple of months back I was most disappointed I couldn't see the tiges beat the swans to get into the finals. If I wanted to escape the mod cons of home I wouldn't have bought a caravan. I would have bought a tent or even better I would have built a humpy.

Reactions: Smirke and Simon

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks guys. Very helpful crusty181. As much as my little guy needs his Disney fix, I can't miss my oh so hard to watch Tigers. When we went to Uluru a couple of months back I was most disappointed I couldn't see the tiges beat the swans to get into the finals. If I wanted to escape the mod cons of home I wouldn't have bought a caravan. I would have bought a tent or even better I would have built a humpy.
You Barack for the Tigers, that changes everything lol Go Hawks :first:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey @Crusty181 I use a splitter that the sat guy gave me so I can use my iq box and it works fine .
I had a splitter that I bought off ebay , he looked at it and said I need a 2500 something instead of the 1500 something one I had and helped me out .
I'd need to go out to the van to read what the proper numbers on either are but it works fine in our van with I single output LNB through the splitter to our iq box .
Interesting. So you run a single cable from the LNB and split it to the Sat box inputs?? Im very much self taught with this stuff, from when we first used used it 6 years ago with the Intelsat 8 Satellite. (now that satellite was a bastard to find) I presumed that a splitter wouldn't work with Foxtel simply because Foxtel go to all the trouble and expense of running dual coax. The satellite signal is a higher frequency than normal TV hence the 2400Mhz splitter. Makes you wonder why Foxtel don't run a single cable to a splitter. I never even considered testing a splitter ..... will now though. Makes it a little easier. Do you use the Wikicamps App??

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Interesting. So you run a single cable from the LNB and split it to the Sat box inputs?? Im very much self taught with this stuff, from when we first used used it 6 years ago with the Intelsat 8 Satellite. (now that satellite was a bastard to find) I presumed that a splitter wouldn't work with Foxtel simply because Foxtel go to all the trouble and expense of running dual coax. The satellite signal is a higher frequency than normal TV hence the 2400Mhz splitter. Makes you wonder why Foxtel don't run a single cable to a splitter. I never even considered testing a splitter ..... will now though. Makes it a little easier. Do you use the Wikicamps App??
I'll have to tell you that now we have the sat dish on the roof and only a push of the button and we are go !
Yes I have 2 portable dishes the older one on a tripod and the newer one is the foldable type in a frame .
I have the needle types sat finder that squeals and the sat finder that beeps preset for C1 on a led screen and the wiki amps app.
I found that the older dish works better than the short foldable one when North .
So as you can see I've tried a lot of different things

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Great thread to start guys. I have been wondering if this could be done. At the end of the day you're still paying for it when you go on holidays after all, so it makes sense to take it with if you and use it if you can. Does anyone know if a cable box/card works with a satellite dish?
No unfortunately ..... not without a very long cable

Reactions: Simon

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'll have to tell you that now we have the sat dish on the roof and only a push of the button and we are go !
Yes I have 2 portable dishes the older one on a tripod and the newer one is the foldable type in a frame .
I have the needle types sat finder that squeals and the sat finder that beeps preset for C1 on a led screen and the wiki amps app.
I found that the older dish works better than the short foldable one when North .
So as you can see I've tried a lot of different things
Push button satellite? Is it me or is that cheating and taking all the fun out of it. You would have to be mindful where you camp .... especially on 2 wheel GP day. I suppose you could pack a foldup for those just in case occasions. Are you using the splitter on the auto dish??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The setup is a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, its a very easy and quick setup. I can get it all plugged in and running in 5 to 10 minutes

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Push button satellite? Is it me or is that cheating and taking all the fun out of it. You would have to be mindful where you camp .... especially on 2 wheel GP day. I suppose you could pack a foldup for those just in case occasions. Are you using the splitter on the auto dish??
Yes splitter to the iq

Redbarn

May 4, 2013
Brisbane, QLD
Mfexpanda, I have the same satellite setup as you, which splitter do you use for your iq? I have a std box but would like to run the iq in the van.

Thanks
Rob

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
This is something on my to do list. I need some of my sports channels.. So basically just need a portable sat dish & take your iq box with you? Would love to see a diy post.
Why not use FOXTEL-Go? That's what we do when Travelling and need a footy fix! Didn't miss a game in the four weeks we were away. PS: did need a fair to good signal to our iPads though so didn't work in one remote area we were in.

Reactions: Roadkill

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Why not use FOXTEL-Go? That's what we do when Travelling and need a footy fix! Didn't miss a game in the four weeks we were away. PS: did need a fair to good signal to our iPads though so didn't work in one remote area we were in.

It uses a lot of data! Every time I use it for a bit I get the data warning the next day.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
It uses a lot of data! Every time I use it for a bit I get the data warning the next day.
We bought a one year block of data back in May, only now, 28th Oct is my data showing about 25% left.
Used it every night to update my travel blog on Expandasdownunder, watch one or 2 AFL matches a week and daily browsing the news sites, Twiiter etc. also used it when at AFL matches back in Adelaide when we were at one match and wanted to see what was happening with our other team. SWMBO is a Crows member and I am Port Power.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I can see why a satellite dish is a good idea but we manage quite well with FOXTEL Go and just catch up with missed programmes when we get back. Actually disconnecting my box and carrying it the van seems like a lot of work.
We would not be able to record the programmes we like to watch as they occur during the day etc when we would be traveling. Obviously this would be ok if you never wanted to record your favourite shows. (Do any of you have a second box?)

Current use is at 1.22c per Mb with ~$54 credit left, block data purchased in May and despite the use I have put it too, still data left. At home connected to home WiFi network so no data there. ipad is my main network tool used daily.

If we had a second box, might do what you guys are doing hence my interest in this thread.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Alternatively, get a dual LNB. they are less then $100 including cable. Yes you need a second cable but you either have to muck around with the splitter or muck around with a second cable.

http://www.accessantennas.com.au/pe...cts/satellite-lnbs/acer-twin-dual-output-lnb/
Once its all installed (as in the permanent components), theres very little set up. The only set up is the sat dish on the stand and the single cable connected to the van. The rest is internal and permanent. No more set up or connections than a normal terrestrial aerial. The switch and or splitter are permanently mounted and connected, so theres no mucking with that. For my set up, a dual LNB would create more set up than I currently have. To have dual cabling integrated in the van there would also need to be second through wall connection, and second internal cabling to the sat box

I think until you see and use a caravan satellite setup, it may seem complex, daunting or just too much effort. In practical terms it isn't any of that; it can take me as little as 5 minutes from start to finish.