Electrical Foxtel in the van.

Chris and Mandy

Oct 6, 2014
Melbourne
Probably already discussed on here but was wondering if someone could clarify for me.

Have seen portable satellite dishes for around $300 that say they are compatible with Foxtel. Does this just mean that I unplug my foxtel box from home and connect the sat dish to it? Is there further set up required on the foxtel box itself?

Are foxtel satellite signals easy to locate?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Yes just as you said we've been doing it for a few years now .
We have a sat finder that locates the right satellite ,c1 I think , makes things easier .

Chris and Mandy

Oct 6, 2014
Melbourne
Yes noted. However sometimes parents need an escape from the little ones, you are right I should stay home glued to the TV, don't know why I just bought a caravan.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
A bit of banter is harmless ..... and after my little guy goes to bed at 7.30pm, theres not too much happening in my world to see. The last thing either of us want to do every night is talk to each other. Foxtel is your friend (closer than you know)

And besides, where better can you get sports for that relaxing afternoon under the awning with some "tonic" (lots of "tonic") watching the mighty Maroons smash the upstarts. ( I have no idea what that even means, but I bet there is some tempers rising)

Just putting out there, Foxtel "mobile" will only work with Foxtel satellite (hey, some people don't know you'll need a 5000km cable with cable Foxtel) We've used Foxtel for many years off a single output LNB. The Sat box needs to load the program guide before it will allow you to watch anything so you need to feed signal into both Sat box inputs, but not necessarily at the same time. A Steren 200-310 coax switch will take a single input from the dish and switch between the two outputs for feeding into the the Sat box one input at a time. Switch it one way to load the program guide, switch it back and your good to go. You have to flick it back every so often, maybe once a day to keep the program guide upto date. You'll know when its time to flick it across because there's no picture. Not too technical.

You can't use a splitter, the Steren is used basically as a switchable splitter but it isolates the "off" cable whilst feeding the "on" cable. I bought my Steren switch from the USA for about $20. They're not so common here but you'll find them on eBay.

The Wikicamps smartphone App has a built in satellite finder where you hold up the phone and the camera and screen show a live view of where the satellite is in the sky .... very hand for shooting around trees, caravans and the neighbours pantaloons on the their clothes line.

xx_12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Mandy

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Yes noted. However sometimes parents need an escape from the little ones, you are right I should stay home glued to the TV, don't know why I just bought a caravan.

Great thread to start guys. I have been wondering if this could be done. At the end of the day you're still paying for it when you go on holidays after all, so it makes sense to take it with if you and use it if you can. Does anyone know if a cable box/card works with a satellite dish?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
A bit of banter is harmless ..... and after my little guy goes to bed at 7.30pm, theres not too much happening in my world to see. The last thing either of us want to do every night is talk to each other. Foxtel is your friend (closer than you know)

And besides, where better can you get sports for that relaxing afternoon under the awning with some "tonic" (lots of "tonic") watching the mighty Maroons smash the upstarts. ( I have no idea what that even means, but I bet there is some tempers rising)

Just putting out there, Foxtel "mobile" will only work with Foxtel satellite (hey, some people don't know you'll need a 5000km cable with cable Foxtel) We've used Foxtel for many years off a single output LNB. The Sat box needs to load the program guide before it will allow you to watch anything so you need to feed signal into both Sat box inputs, but not necessarily at the same time. A Steren 200-310 coax switch will take a single input from the dish and switch between the two outputs for feeding into the the Sat box one input at a time. Switch it one way to load the program guide, switch it back and your good to go. You have to flick it back every so often, maybe once a day to keep the program guide upto date. You'll know when its time to flick it across because there's no picture. Not too technical.

You can't use a splitter, the Steren is used basically as a switchable splitter but it isolates the "off" cable whilst feeding the "on" cable. I bought my Steren switch from the USA for about $20. They're not so common here but you'll find them on eBay.

The Wikicamps smartphone App has a built in satellite finder where you hold up the phone and the camera and screen show a live view of where the satellite is in the sky .... very hand for shooting around trees, caravans and the neighbours pantaloons on the their clothes line.

View attachment 27780
Hey @Crusty181 I use a splitter that the sat guy gave me so I can use my iq box and it works fine .
I had a splitter that I bought off ebay , he looked at it and said I need a 2500 something instead of the 1500 something one I had and helped me out .
I'd need to go out to the van to read what the proper numbers on either are but it works fine in our van with I single output LNB through the splitter to our iq box .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Foxtel uses the CI Optus satellite which is located at 156E ... meaning its above the equator at 156 degrees east of the 0 degree longitude line, also called the Prime meridian. I think from memory its over the Solomon Islands, but I'll stand corrected (corrected myself ... Papua New Guinea) From where I live in Mentone its compass direction is 17 deg (5 deg magnetic, not far off north) and 44 deg up from the horizon .... thats all very impressive I know, but just get the Wikicamps App; its gold and it works.

Last edited: