Fitting extra hatches

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
I have a 14.44 and have found there to be quite a few hard to get to spots where stuff could be stored. I have been thinking about putting in a hatch on either side of the front boot (similar to the new starcrafts without a boot), as there is a bit of wasted space beside the gas bottle and also on the other side of the boot it can be hard to get stuff in and out of the corner, I was then thinking of getting some more of the plastic type stuff they have used for a divider where the gas bottles are and making sort of 3 separate front boots, one accessed from either side and then the main front one - has anyone had a crack at cutting the side of the panda themselves - ive been looking at the camec/dometic hatches and planed on using the bit cut out for the door as the bit to go in the hatch.

MastoCamper

Feb 22, 2013
Footscray
Hi, if you cut through the side of your van you need to seal the polystyrene foam and ply edge to stop any moister getting in which might cause delamination,
You can use most two part epoxy resins (similar to Araldite) over polystyrene foams, but don't use Fibreglass polyester resins like on boats, it will melt the poly.

Not sure about the Jayco price, but I used Permatex Permapoxy General Purpose 5 minute Epoxy at $9 from super cheap auto, http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...ose-Epoxy-5-Minute-25ml.aspx?pid=129942#Cross

Bunnies also sell epoxy resin for about the same price.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Here's a hatch I put into our 16.49-2 a few years ago. It was so easy, I went back to the boat shop (a caravan owners best friend) and bought another. They took less than an hour each and provided me access to storage areas underneath a seat and under the bottom bunk.
Measure.
4 x 10mm holes.
Cloth tape to stop scratching the surface.
Jigsaw between each.
I used the cloth tape to give a smooth edge (lasted years)
Sicaflex around the edge.
Srew in with self tappers
Voila!

Very easy install.
About $50 each from memory.
Cheers
Andrew

Hatch1.jpg
Hatch2.jpg
Hatch3.jpg
Hatch4.jpg
Hatch5.jpg