17' Series Thinking about a new access hatch

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hello Peeps,
Been thinking about putting in a access hatch to gain better access of the rear trunk. I have measured it and can fit in one 300x230, this will give better access to the rear trunk for shovel, broom, axe etc. Looking at the various sites and there doesn't seem to be any premade at that size so I will have to use the custom ones on my favourite website.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=986_61_404

What are your thoughts???

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I remember a caravan magazine showed how to retro fit an access door a couple of months ago and it looked pretty straight forward.
I often wonder why they dont have one on the rear boot, Bushman and I were actually discussing this on the weekend.

Reactions: blacky

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hello Peeps,
Been thinking about putting in a access hatch to gain better access of the rear trunk. I have measured it and can fit in one 300x230, this will give better access to the rear trunk for shovel, broom, axe etc. Looking at the various sites and there doesn't seem to be any premade at that size so I will have to use the custom ones on my favourite website.

What are your thoughts???

Hi there Bigman, I am having discussions with Jayco at the moment about an extra hatch for the expanda that I'm looking at purchasing. The quoted figure installed at factory is $151.00.
Hope that helps, obviously you should be able to buy them through Jayco, just a case of asking the right person/people.

Good luck.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
not sure i will :wacko: putting some pressure on me now. I will order the hatch tonight then, damn peer pressure!!

Good luck bigman. Just try and cut between vertical uprights. I thought about doing this on our last expanda. When considering it I was going to try and find any uprights with a "stud finder" failing that I was going to drill a small 1/4" hole on the inside and bend a bit of welding or fencing wire at 90 deg with the "leg" 1/2 the width of the hatch and see if I could feel for the upright. I have no idea if there is is any foam bonded on the inside. But I am always very nevous about cutting anything when I don't know what's inside!

Reactions: blacky

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi guys just recieved the latest caravan & motorhome which has an article on cutting holes into the sides of your van if your up to it !!!!!!!!!!!
Russell

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
IT's DONE!!!

Well Guys,
I completed the hard task of cutting into a $47,000 Van :faint:

IMG_0100.JPGIMG_0101.JPGIMG_0102.JPGIMG_0105.JPGIMG_0106.JPG

Wasn't as hard as I thought, I think the hardest bit was actually bringing myself to cut a hole in the van.
I ended up using a premade hatch from the caravans plus website. http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3265

I can fit my axe, shovel, broom (with head removed) and a whole lot of other stuff I am sure.:high5:

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Hi bigman,

Did you use an angle grinder to cut the hole for the hatch. It's given me some ideas?...

Yes mate I did... used the thinnest disc I could find, used duct tape all around the area as a mask, there were barley any sparks. I used used some aluminium angle than I was going to use on the bottom of the shower to go around the inside of the hole as a tidy up.