Macayak's 16-49-4 Mods

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well after a couple of little trips, the sink was annoying me, it would take ages to drain. A little investigation, any wonder! Drain pipes that look like a snake and restrictions in fittings etc etc. I know they do it cheap because it's a caravan so I had a play with it. I only have a sink so I did not have to go to the trouble Brad did in his 18, I do not have a shower. I decided to use 20mm pressure pipe for two reasons. You can get it from Bunnings cheaply and it fits perfectly in between the chassis openings.

IMG_1247.JPGIMG_1262.JPGIMG_1263.JPG

Look at the restriction in the pipe your sullage hose hooks up to and the bent drain pipe. Even the fitting in the sinks is restrictive.

I stripped every thing out and started again. The clear plastic drain pipe under the van was all over the shop, like they have one length and that fits all. The main thing I thought was wrong was no air can get in the head (sink end) of the drain. I fitted a air admittance valve, over the top but I did. Then I just ran the 20 mm poly and fitted a barrell union at the hose end so I dont have to stuff around with my sullage hose. I fitted a home made p trap but you would not have to. I just used standard plumbing principles. Straight pipe and air in drain, just like home.

IMG_1271.JPGIMG_1272.JPGIMG_1274.JPGIMG_1275.JPG

I lost a little bit of space, but the drain works great so I can live with it and my wife does not even know I have done it!

Cheers Geoff

Reactions: Ren77 and Pace

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nice one Geoff.
Did you find the Jayco pipe work you removed was lacking in enough glue?
I need to take a look under the sink and see how mine looks.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Brad, the only bit of pvc was that bit in the first photo, the rest of the drain was clear tubing. It was glued ok, the pipe was just up and down like the Australian cricket tem.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice job Geoff, I'm doing mine soon in 40mm (also have shower) like Brad but I'm also going to use 38mm pool hose in 1 metre lengths for sullage, these will be stored in a PVC pole carrier.

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Today I started on the outside shower. I decided not to fit it in the conventional spot as it was too close to power inlet. I decided to remove the water inlet housing and make the hole bigger and fit the shower assembly there. I fitted the tank filler inside as there was enough room and the mains water connection will go under the van, which I am more happy about. I never liked the way the weight of the hose hung off the plastic inlet fitting. I did note that the old screws i removed although not even 6 months old were badly corroded, so I used stainless.
IMG_1431.JPGIMG_1433.JPGIMG_1434.JPG

I took my time cutting using one of those little ozito multi purpose tools. Once cut i sealed the opening with the magic blue goo that Jayco use, fitted housing and siliconed up.

IMG_1445.JPGIMG_1446.JPGIMG_1447.JPGIMG_1449.JPGIMG_1450.JPGIMG_1442.JPG

Cheers Geoff

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Fitted Anti Flap kit today, another little job out of the way before Xmas.

Geoff

Which anti flap did you go with and any pics of the install process?

Today I started on the outside shower. I decided not to fit it in the conventional spot as it was too close to power inlet. I decided to remove the water inlet housing and make the hole bigger and fit the shower assembly there. I fitted the tank filler inside as there was enough room and the mains water connection will go under the van, which I am more happy about. I never liked the way the weight of the hose hung off the plastic inlet fitting. I did note that the old screws i removed although not even 6 months old were badly corroded, so I used stainless.
View attachment 11351View attachment 11352View attachment 11353

I took my time cutting using one of those little ozito multi purpose tools. Once cut i sealed the opening with the magic blue goo that Jayco use, fitted housing and siliconed up.

View attachment 11355View attachment 11356View attachment 11357View attachment 11358View attachment 11359View attachment 11360

Cheers Geoff

Nice and neat....

I however could never bring myself to do that to my van as my hand is not steady enough :)!!!!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Expanda, I fitted the Aussie Traveller AFK, I purchased it from Tebbs. Sorry no photos, but comes with instructions. It was very easy to do, a couple stainless clips near the roof catches and 2 x 3/8" holes in the awning roller. The main tip is getting your roller in the correct postion, ie material at the 12 o'clock position. I youtubed a bit of it also. I think it took an hour to do. One of those jobs that once you have done one side, the next side takes 5 minutes. I am thinking about getting a center rafter next.

Re: About cutting into the side panel. The cutting was not that bad, the ozito is like a dremmel, the cutting wheel was as big as a 20 cent coin, and I had it set a low as I could as I had images of the wheel running up the side of the van. I just took my time. I had a large hole to start with so that makes a difference.

A job for next year will be to remove the zinc screw and replace with stainless screws on the other hatches and check that sealant was used!

Geoff

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thanks Zero, have been doing a few little common mods whilst still at home on my holidays:frown:

Tv arm on timber mod.
Power boards on velcro fitted in cupboards to keep chargers out of the way.
Scotch hooks for all the keys. There are lots of keys.
Eaz lift WDH.
Moved water inlet to under back of van near drain.
Velcroed remote so it does not go missing. Located above cupboard above TV.

By the way, did you know you cannot buy piggy back plugs anymore "easily". I wanted to chop the plug off and fit a piggy back so I still have an outlet where the lead is plugged in. Turns out someone used one in his own extension lead and killed himself!

If you need to but a TV bracket, stereo leads, cheap hdmi leads then this is the place.

http://www.uglycable.com.au/

Geoff

IMG_1506.JPGIMG_1507.JPGIMG_1508.JPG

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Thanks Zero, have been doing a few little common mods whilst still at home on my holidays:frown:

Tv arm on timber mod.
Power boards on velcro fitted in cupboards to keep chargers out of the way.
Scotch hooks for all the keys. There are lots of keys.
Eaz lift WDH.
Moved water inlet to under back of van near drain.
Velcroed remote so it does not go missing. Located above cupboard above TV.

Geoff

G'day Maccayak,

Great mods mate. I am keeping a copy of some of these for when my van arrives. Great ideas.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Fitted the Camera the easy way. Main reason I chose this way was because we will probably upsize van and as the camera suits the car set up I can remove it easily. It works OK for driving and reversing. I was not keen on mounting it up high although I know they are better there.

GeoffIMG_1561.JPG

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Brad I just run the cables through the chassis same as original loom. Although not visible in the photo, you can see the wire behing the camera. As a test I had the camera cable tied into position for a couple of trips and it worked fine. I read your way in another post, I will do it that way with next van.

With my monitor/mirror, I can scroll between this camera or the one on the car.

I even thought about reverse sensors on the van. I am sure someone will do it one day. They are only $15 on ebay!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Neat Job macca, and what van is the next one going to be?

After a couple of trips we thought a toilet/shower would be good. We will probably keep the van for a year at least and look at going to a 17 or 18. Our summer trip was cancelled at the last minute due health issues with my old mum and my wifes dad (we must have run over a black cat). We had planned to see how we went, away in van for 3 weeks, so now we will go away in the next school holidays and lots of weekend trips to compensate. I think we will keep the van for at least a year now, plus I am really happy with our van, touch wood it has had nothing major go wrong with it. Could have been because I had a mate watch it go down the line, I think he told the various stations to look after it as he was taking photos.

I also want to get better at backing and more confident towing before going to a larger model. Mother and Father in law both coming good.

Geoff

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
After a couple of trips we thought a toilet/shower would be good. We will probably keep the van for a year at least and look at going to a 17 or 18. ...I also want to get better at backing and more confident towing before going to a larger model. Mother and Father in law both coming good.
Geoff
Great way to gain confidence is to get (17 or) an 18 and tow it. BTW There's a queue for the showers where I'm camped at the moment...or that's what they tell me. I love the ensuite and am happy to fill the water tanks each week for the luxury of nice hot shower whenever needed. My 18 tows as easily as my FlamingoOB and reversing, well I was never that good but am improving on each outing.