Starcraft Finally Starcraft 22.68-1 OB

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
After ponding for nearly a year, we pulled the pin on a new Starcraft.

Options are as follows,
  • Fibreglass Walls
  • Waeco 215L Fridge
  • Leather Seats
  • Magnolia Metallic Cupboards (Kitchen and Ensuite)
  • Ibis 3 Air Con
  • Fixed Double Bunks
I'm not worried about any electrical items as i have plans for that area :D

Can i get some advice on any items that need to be built in that i should consider before final sign off

Thanks

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Hi Stucati
Our tip is to get an :
1.external drop down picnic table - we use ours every stop
2. Make sure you have a centre jockey wheel mount, if it's on the outside of the drawbar it's a real pain with weight distribution, which you will need on a van that size
3. Shelves in wardrobes instead of hanging space
We also prefer fabric seats over leather - buts that's a personal preference.

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Another tip - if you ask your dealer they should give you a sheet that lists all options and the prices, often they are very cheap if that at the factory during the build - eg under slung axles, which we got was only about $258. You won't need that with an OB, but we wanted a little extra height without getting the centre of gravity too high.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
After ponding for nearly a year, we pulled the pin on a new Starcraft.

Options are as follows,
  • Fibreglass Walls
  • Waeco 215L Fridge
  • Leather Seats
  • Magnolia Metallic Cupboards (Kitchen and Ensuite)
  • Ibis 3 Air Con
  • Fixed Double Bunks
I'm not worried about any electrical items as i have plans for that area :D

Can i get some advice on any items that need to be built in that i should consider before final sign off

Thanks
I know you are doing your own elecrical stuff but batteries take a lot of weight out of your ATM so are best included so they are part of the tare weight and in the weight stamped on the plate.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We have a third tank. Shelves to robes for us is essential and if you carry bikes then a bike rack is best done at the factory.
We have a 22 and found that the ball weight is very heavy! I agree with @17triton re batteries but you should insist they are installed in the dinette not under the bed. I had to move mine to get the ball under 350kg! (Loaded)

We also got the l shaped dinette and love it. Makes the van so much more spacious.

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
Hi Stucati
Our tip is to get an :
1.external drop down picnic table - we use ours every stop
2. Make sure you have a centre jockey wheel mount, if it's on the outside of the drawbar it's a real pain with weight distribution, which you will need on a van that size
3. Shelves in wardrobes instead of hanging space
We also prefer fabric seats over leather - buts that's a personal preference.

Thanks for the tip on the jockey wheel, hadnt thought about that. The boss wants hanging space in wardrobes.

We have a third tank. Shelves to robes for us is essential and if you carry bikes then a bike rack is best done at the factory.
We have a 22 and found that the ball weight is very heavy! I agree with @17triton re batteries but you should insist they are installed in the dinette not under the bed. I had to move mine to get the ball under 350kg! (Loaded)

We also got the l shaped dinette and love it. Makes the van so much more spacious.

I originally ordered the L shape, but once the boss looked at the display van cafe layout it was. The ball weight on the display van was only around 200kg, will definitely get the battery relocated.

Reactions: relgate

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Well done @stucati. Another Starcraft!

Our 20.62-3 OB came with a stamped ball weight of well under 200kg but... Fill the tanks, gas, gear etc and I'm sure @relgate is right - you'll be up around 300. Ours is about 280-300.

We asked for the wardrobe to be split. Half hanging/half shelves. Everyone was happy. Actually the hanging space is useful for the ski jackets and bulky items. A few shoes underneath too.

In terms of other extras - we added a second battery (more weight) and asked for inner spring mattresses in the bunks. For some reason they said this could only happen for the bottom bunk (weight issue?) - anyway we had a spare from our previous Expanda so threw that on top. My kids aren't that heavy!

I'd go for two outside tables - no question these are really useful.
An outside light on the offside would be great if I'd thought about it too. Handy for hooking up water, power etc at night.

If there's space to add an extra hatch (not sure on your layout) to get under the bunk that would be useful. We did and it's great.

LED light along the awning?

If I think of more I'll let you know.

Cheers.

Reactions: Delano and davemc

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Some good ideas from @twscoot
we have a light on off side over external shower. Very useful. Also have 2 outdoor tables which we wouldnt do without. We also put a second external light at the near side front above the slide out bbq in the front boot.

Reactions: Delano

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Drawers under the bottom built in bunk too. 12 volt and 240 plugs beside each bunk bed (should be standard I think). Curtains on the bunks. (Standard too I think). I'll keep thinking....

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
Outside tables will be added as will the extra external light, great tips. LED awning light is included.
Will Jayco increase payload to say 600kg if requested?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Congrats. Wall plate for a Tv ... even if you dont get the Tv or mount in the order.

I presume the walls are the same as the Expanda and are thin ply over foam, and screws dont hold so well in foam. Anything of any significant weight will need specific internal wall blocking such as Tv, bike rack etc.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Outside tables will be added as will the extra external light, great tips. LED awning light is included.
Will Jayco increase payload to say 600kg if requested?
Yes they increased my payload with no probs. Possibly because i had the third tank

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yes they increased my payload with no probs. Possibly because i had the third tank

A third tank @stucati ? You go through the water and later you can convert it to a grey tank if the current trend in free camping areas grows.

They increased our payload aswell on the smaller van.

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
You'll love the van mate, buying ours was the best move we've ever made. If your going to be adding a fair bit of solar I'd have the solar prewire upgraded. I'd also put an extra power point on the bench between stove and bunks type of thing.

Shane.

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
A third tank @stucati ? You go through the water and later you can convert it to a grey tank if the current trend in free camping areas grows.

They increased our payload aswell on the smaller van.

Thought i wouldn't need the 3rd water tank, but you've talked me into it.

You'll love the van mate, buying ours was the best move we've ever made. If your going to be adding a fair bit of solar I'd have the solar prewire upgraded. I'd also put an extra power point on the bench between stove and bunks type of thing.

Shane.

Thanks Shane, had wondered about the solar cabling sizing. Plan to put around 600 watts of solar so I'll get them to provision cable to suit

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thought i wouldn't need the 3rd water tank, but you've talked me into it.

Thanks Shane, had wondered about the solar cabling sizing. Plan to put around 600 watts of solar so I'll get them to provision cable to suit
Worth noting that they put my third tank right up the front. When filled it is one of the main ball weight culprits. However, i still reckon it's a great addition

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
I Have a third tank on my van, and yes it adds alot of weight to the ball. Also check how they have plumbed your tanks, my two front tanks were plumbed together, therefore emptied both at the same time. If you replumb them separately, you can empty the front tank first, taking the weight of the ball after the first use. I just used retic taps from bunnings on the two outlet lines from the two front tanks to the common line. I hope that makes sense

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
This is a list of what we got in our van

Double bunk
Cafe Style Dinette
Bigger fridge / freezer - 2 door
Roof hatch upgrade 500 X 700 to the front and mid hatches
Drifter control panel
3rd water tank - independent / completely separate to the other 2 tanks - sep filler.
water filter system to sink from 3rd tank only
Anderson plug direct to battery - for portable solar panel
External light off side - roughly where fridge is
External fold out table *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* - under bedroom window and kitchen window (approx)
External hatch to under bunk storage
Delete supplied TV
External entertainment package
12volt - both bed cubby holes - main bed
12volt and 240 - near radio (in the shelf)
12volt and 240 in storage area under double bed near foot end near battery box
Shelving to all robes
Add shelf X 1 to cupboard Left of microwave
Add shelf to bathroom above mirror like in expanda (20.63-1)
Add wire rack to Left side of cook top
Fit supplied reversing camera

Also if you are towing with a 4wd eg cruiser or patrol I would not get the WDH as you don't need it.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
And we have ordered.....
  • 22.68.1 OB
  • External shower
  • External gas bayonet
  • External shower
  • Water filter to sink
  • 1 outside table but will amend order to two based on the aforementioned wisdom
  • Cloth seats
  • Bought a weber baby q in anticipation
  • Bought a thermomix for the kitchen and ordering a second factory PowerPoint lhs of cooktop in readiness
  • Shelving the front hanging space as will not accept a coat hanger with front wall angle.
  • Full Kakadu annexe
  • 4 x bike rack
  • Standard one battery, one panel, Setec, and considering a small yammy genset in case running low on sun?
To go with that,
  • Roofraxx for kayaxx
  • Wiki camps for iPads
  • Much excitement and anticipation.
I'm quite certain we will find some improvements as this is the first venture into a caravan. Quite certain whatever we have will be a step up from the tent!

Last edited:

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Sounds good mate. As for a genny unless you decide you can't live without the microwave or aircon here and there just ad an extra solar panel instead, tons cheaper and you never have to put fuel in solar panels.

Reactions: Delano