16' Series Finally Ordered 16.49-3 OB

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Evening All,
I have been snooping around this great forum for some time now and can finally say we're joining the Expanda Family.

We've just ordered a 16.49.3OB, 2014 model, with all the new standard features:
Independent suspension;
Euro Push Out Windows;
Roof hatch;
2 fold mattress and bigger bed boxes;
Extra power outlets;
120 watt solar panel fitted;
100 ampH battery included;
LED strip light wired in and fitted to roll out awning;
Light to Tunnel Boot; and
150 litre Fridge.

Plus a few extras:
Wind up TV antenna;
Privacy Screens;
Drifter Control Panel;
ESC;
Picnic Table; and
Bed Converter for dinette table

We've decided, due to the good ol' Tassie winter, we would wait and pick it up in the September school holidays, and do a trip up the East Coast of Tassie, before heading back home.

The next eight months are going to drag!!

Marco

Aug 29, 2013
Warradale SA
Hi Marco,

Mate, just to let you know the privacy screens are now standard so be sure Jayco dont charge you for them, then you can pput that money towards some WDH or air bags for the tow tug.

Gavin

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@mccric something to think about, given you guys are in Tassie might be a diesel heater. Jayco wouldn't offer it to us as a factory fittment, however they do provide you with heating without the need for 240v power if you are looking at free camping.

Then of course, being taswegeans, you are probably used to the cold ;)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Congrates on the new purchase:thumb:

When you say bigger bed boxes, are they now level with the bed base, allowing a single thickness off the mattress instead of the stupid dual thickness matress

Last edited:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @mccrlc. 8 months will surely be a long wait but give you plenty of time to plan trips and mods.

We will be down in your playground in a couple of weeks having a good look around for 6 weeks so I hope you turn on the good weather. :D

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Welcome Marco to this great forum. I see your a maintenance planner that could come in handyo_O Only jokin mate.

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
Congrats on the purchase Marco, I thought it was bad enough waiting until end of May....don't think I could last til September but already in Feb, I am sure the months will fly on by!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Congrats on the purchase Marco, I thought it was bad enough waiting until end of May....don't think I could last til September but already in Feb, I am sure the months will fly on by!
Not if you keep looking at this forum,has happened in past with awaiting members and bank balances going down buying up with all those mods in mind to do. lol.

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
@mccric something to think about, given you guys are in Tassie might be a diesel heater. Jayco wouldn't offer it to us as a factory fittment, however they do provide you with heating without the need for 240v power if you are looking at free camping.

Then of course, being taswegeans, you are probably used to the cold ;)

The diesel heater is on the list of mod's, very keen on free camping in Tassie and on the Big Island.

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Welcome to the forum @mccrlc. 8 months will surely be a long wait but give you plenty of time to plan trips and mods.

We will be down in your playground in a couple of weeks having a good look around for 6 weeks so I hope you turn on the good weather. :D
Chartrock,
The weather will be great, we've had some really good weather over the last couple of months so hopefully that holds out for your visit, wouldn't be a real Tassie experience if it didn't rain or snow. :)
Marco

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au

Welcome @mccrlc, I hope you don't spend the next 8 months pawing over this forum as I've done, you'll go mod list crazy. It's an addiction and I need another fix!
We're on the wait list for our 2014 16.49-3 OB as well, but only 2 weeks of waiting left!
We definitely plan to invade your little island sometime soon too.
Not meaning to hijack your post, but, @chartrock - how far in advance did you need to book your trip on the Spirit? And what did they sting you for it?
Cheers, S&P

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi Marco,

Mate, just to let you know the privacy screens are now standard so be sure Jayco dont charge you for them, then you can pput that money towards some WDH or air bags for the tow tug.

Gavin
@Gavin and Brooke , I hope you're right there, and I hope the dealer/factory don't mess ours up and not include them because we only bought and paid for a 2013 model!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome @mccrlc,
We definitely plan to invade your little island sometime soon too.
Not meaning to hijack your post, but, @chartrock - how far in advance did you need to book your trip on the Spirit? And what did they sting you for it?
Cheers, S&P
G'day mate, we booked our trip just before Christmas. Looked on their site for peak and off peak times and booked for a trip as soon as the peak season finished. They charge on the height (above 2.1 m is dearer) and overall length of tug and van. Then it depends on whether you want a cabin, just a recliner chair or neither.

We chose a day trip south with recliner chairs and an overnight return with a cabin. With our Navara D22 and 14 footer Outback, it came to $1623 return. As we planned 6 weeks on the 'apple isle' we figured it was worth the cost.

Just go for it. :encouragement:

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Chartrock,
As much as I believe the cost to get over that stretch of water is excessive, whichever direction your travelling you have a plan to enjoy a great holiday and if you can forget that cost you will have a ball.

Like you say GO for IT.

Make sure you head to the East Coast, around StHelens, Binalong Bay, we have a shack out that way and lots of camping spots to enjoy.

Reactions: chartrock

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
The question about the bed boxes is no I ordered the new 2 piece mattress as I have just raised the bed box (I will post pics soon) and much to my surprise Jayco in their wisdom have done away with the 120mm foam end what were they thinking. They obviously have not listen to the hundreds of complains since the inception of inner spring mattress. So I told them to put them back into stock and have ordered 2 750x1820x180 will be ready next week.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Chartrock,
As much as I believe the cost to get over that stretch of water is excessive, whichever direction your travelling you have a plan to enjoy a great holiday and if you can forget that cost you will have a ball.

Like you say GO for IT.

Make sure you head to the East Coast, around StHelens, Binalong Bay, we have a shack out that way and lots of camping spots to enjoy.
G'day mate, I agree the price is a bit excessive but it is the only way to get the car and van over there and we want to be able to do our own thing. It will probably be a once only trip so we plan to make the most of it. We plan to head west first up, the idea being it may still be a bit warmer, then the south and Hobart and up the east cost, zig zagging inland and back out all the way around.

We figure if we don't enjoy ourselves it will be our own fault.

Reactions: cruza driver