External LED Strip - 1st Mod done!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Have finally had some time to put the 1st mod on the new Panda.

As we are heading north to some warmer weather, we are hoping to spend more time outside the van than in it, so 1st mod was to put an external LED strip light on.

Here are the steps taken...

Step 1: Remove the top fridge vent, locate and cut the wire running to the external annexe LED light.
IMG_1486.JPG

Step 2: Crimp the external annexe LED wires back together, adding in the smaller wire to go to the LED strip
IMG_1488.JPG

Step 3: Solder the small wires to the exposed copper terminals on the LED strip & check it works!
IMG_1492.JPG

Step 4: Stick the LED strip into place - note the double sided tape most of the come with is useless. After removing the double sided tape from the back of the LED strip, I used (very sparingly) PASCO FIX - an industrial super clue. More on this product in another post. Replace the top fridge vent, making sure the LED strip wires are tidy.
IMG_1495.JPG

Step 5: Turn on the LED strip and admire your handy work.
IMG_1493.JPG

Cheers,

Rohan

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Very nice job, Rohan. Wish I had also had a fridge vent on annexe side. Might have to investigate the annexe light as a connection point. Added to the wish list. - Bill

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I stuck my strip up under the Lid and ran the cable back along the gas strut and down inside the wall to the external light switch by the door, which I replaced with a two gang switch so I can have on either the strip, the standard light or both

IMG_0373.JPG

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Yep - saw Pace's light strip and copied the idea. It is VERY bright - thought I had ordered warm white, but clearly not!

My wife now calls it the Disco Van!

Strip ordered from eBay - local Aussie seller in Sydney.

Put it along the top of the exterior wall so that when the awning is rolled out, there will be plenty of reflection from the white roof.

Will be putting in a 2nd light switch by the external annexe switch to operate the LED strip independently - but will do this when we get back from ouR two week trip over the school holidays.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Brad,

They are fantastic - have looked everywhere - all still $49.95!

Let us know when they are on special.

maccayak - The seller I used for the strips is Citipower Online Shop. They have all sorts of LED strips. I used the 5050 LEDs - they are brighter.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Xpandafan - I saw some in a local auto store the other day - $60 for 1 metre -vs- $17 (shipped) for 5 metres from the eBay seller I used! And they wonder why retail is dying!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree entirely Rohan. I'd love to support local stores BUT I do hate being ripped off. And sometimes I wish the local strore could even match the level of service of the eBay suppliers I've used as well as their prices.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I'm with you lot, My 36 led panels arrived this week, $5 delivered, local Jayco dealer is selling much the same for $36, and they would be coming from china as well. I get that they have higher costs and overheads but I can't justify paying that much, I work too hard just to give cash away. I want to support local jobs, don't know what the answer is?:noidea: