Old & Moved expanda led kits

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Here are some pics, ill let Jim and Tab explain them!

DSC05503.JPG

DSC05506.JPG

DSC05504.JPG

Reactions: 4wdadventureoz

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
thanks heaps expanda for that
the first pic is a kit we had to suit jayco campers
the second pic shows you how they fit in the housing
the third pic shows the nice white light they produce.
tab loves the light compared to the old globes
cheers jim/tab and diamond

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
Hi Linda, We have a 17.56.1 ob coming end of April. I spoke with Page Bros. Seaford today about this and they are told me that LED lights where NOT standard in 2012 17.56.1 models. She could not however confirm or deny if innerspring mattresses where now standard. (She said we would have to wait til closer to delivery to find that one out...go figure???!!!)
Kim

We where charged extra for the innerspring on the front mattress only, we took the back foam mattress as standard. I hope they will refund if this is now a standard issue???? I'm sure they will think of something to get out of it.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Jim and Tab
I settled on the same units so can agree they were the better ones tried.

Question; do you have both cool white and warm white available, or just the cool white?

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
ey there Jim, Tab and Diamond,

We have the 17.56.1 OB coming late March and I would love a set of the LED lights. (Pics are great)
How much for the 17.56.1 OB and can you still email me the pics of the outside lights etc, come to think of it if you could just email me all the pics that would be awesome. Email address is rltack@bigpond.net.au
How do you want payment?
Cheers Linda

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All, Just letting you know our LED lights arrived today. Can't wait to test them out now :) Thanks Jim & Tab :clap2:

A quick question though ..... how to you get the old globes out?

Thanks
Andrea

Reactions: Jim and Tab

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks chartrock. I was affraid to give them a good yank. Jim emailed me too :)

I put in one lot of the doubles last night and they are a nice bright white light :)

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
Hi Jim and Tab,

My sister just picked up her 16.49-1 and asked me to enquire about these. Their external is already a LED light.

Many thanks.
Chris

fraserL322

Mar 4, 2012
Jim and Tab, what cost am I looking at for our Expanda ('06) as far as I can tell I have 2 double roof lights, 2 end lights, 2 on cords, the same as the end lights, one annex light and one "handle next to door" light?

Cheers,

Fraser

dmaughan

Sep 26, 2011
Frankston, Victoria
17.56-2 LED light kit

We picked up our 17.56-2 on Thursday and got straight into installed Jim and Tabs LED light Kit.
This is what the kit for the 17.56-2 comes with
P1050226.JPG
I was quite surprised to find that Jayco had included LED globes in the expander already, especially since the dealer was adamant that it would not come with LED lights. Since the Jayco globes looked a little yellow and dull I decided to give Jim and Tabs lights a go anyway. The difference is amazing as can be seen with the before and after shots below.
P1050218.JPGP1050230.JPG

Installation was very straight forward. After sliding the clear covers away from the light centre to release you get access to the globes. The original globes are removed simply by pulling them out (it might take a little force as they are in pretty tight). The white plug end of the new globes then gets inserted into the now vacant slot, it takes a bit of force and jiggling to get them seated in properly. It does not matter which way round the plug goes in (it can go in both ways). If the globe does not turn on when you switch the light on you can pull the black plug on the LED globes lead apart and reconnect the opposite way this should then get the light working.
The LED light board can then be stuck to the backing panel of the light assembly using the double sided tape that is already on the back of the globes.
P1050229.JPGP1050228.JPGP1050232.JPG
You might have to jiggle the wires going into the socket to get them working properly as mine had a tendency to flicker a little till I got the wires in the right positions. I did not have any more trouble afterwards.

Overall I am very happy with this LED light kit they are much brighter then the originals and very easy to install. With the three main overhead lights on at night the Van was lit up almost like daytime. I was planning on putting some extra lighting under the microwave cupboard and near the dinning table but I don't think I will need to any-more.
P1050231.JPG

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
thanks Dmaughan.
Thanks for the post and were glad you like them.
We have no idea how to post pics up.Will have to learn.
Then we can start our pic profile.
Once again thanks for putting pictures up.
Cheers Jim/Tab and Diamond

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
The difference in light quality looks amazing, if our van comes with LEDs and are as dull and yellow as yours dmaughan then I will be contacting Jim and Tab ASAP. Thanks for the pics and install advice.

Cheers

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We picked up our 17.56-2 on Thursday and got straight into installed Jim and Tabs LED light Kit.
This is what the kit for the 17.56-2 comes with
View attachment 6847
I was quite surprised to find that Jayco had included LED globes in the expander already, especially since the dealer was adamant that it would not come with LED lights. Since the Jayco globes looked a little yellow and dull I decided to give Jim and Tabs lights a go anyway. The difference is amazing as can be seen with the before and after shots below.
View attachment 6846View attachment 6845

Installation was very straight forward. After sliding the clear covers away from the light centre to release you get access to the globes. The original globes are removed simply by pulling them out (it might take a little force as they are in pretty tight). The white plug end of the new globes then gets inserted into the now vacant slot, it takes a bit of force and jiggling to get them seated in properly. It does not matter which way round the plug goes in (it can go in both ways). If the globe does not turn on when you switch the light on you can pull the black plug on the LED globes lead apart and reconnect the opposite way this should then get the light working.
The LED light board can then be stuck to the backing panel of the light assembly using the double sided tape that is already on the back of the globes.
View attachment 6849View attachment 6848View attachment 6851
You might have to jiggle the wires going into the socket to get them working properly as mine had a tendency to flicker a little till I got the wires in the right positions. I did not have any more trouble afterwards.

Overall I am very happy with this LED light kit they are much brighter then the originals and very easy to install. With the three main overhead lights on at night the Van was lit up almost like daytime. I was planning on putting some extra lighting under the microwave cupboard and near the dinning table but I don't think I will need to any-more.
View attachment 6850

The difference is ours is like yours also however our 17.56-2 (2011) we had 12volt bulbs to replace rather than existing LED's. Our only factory LED was outside under the awning and it a nice bright white like the lights we got from Jim and Tab. I actually like having all of my lights at the same colour temperature :).

Jim, on a side note, do you have round LED's. My parents have an Avan and want to replace their lights too. I don't know if that makes sense or not but that's what my dad wanted me to ask you.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hi Andrea.
I know what lights your dad is talking about.
We are trying to find someone with those lights to test.
We think our leds will work if you pull the joiner apart and just spread the 2 wires like we had to do to fit our annexe light.
We will go to windsor on the weekend and have a look.
Thanks Jim/Tab and Diamond

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
Hi Jim and Tab,

We were told by our dealer yesterday that our 14.44.5 won't be coming out with LED 's as they cannot install them on any pop tops due the need for transformers. I didn't argue as I knew we can get them from you for a great price. Not sure if I was being told a porkie pie or not by the dealer but no matter I will send you an email with our details so you can let us know how much for the LED kit for our model.

Cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Jim and Tab,

We were told by our dealer yesterday that our 14.44.5 won't be coming out with LED 's as they cannot install them on any pop tops due the need for transformers. I didn't argue as I knew we can get them from you for a great price. Not sure if I was being told a porkie pie or not by the dealer but no matter I will send you an email with our details so you can let us know how much for the LED kit for our model.

Cheers

I know that when I looked into replacing the bulb in the indicators on on my Motorbike with LED's you needed a "resistor" I think? because the LED's didn't draw as much current and made them flash faster. Not sure about the Van though I know the lights are 12v and I know they still work even if you don't have a Battery connected, so maybe there is some incompatibility with whatever transforms the 240ac-12vdc in the Van but only guessing, anyone else have any Ideas?

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
hi Glenn and Roxy.
Im not sure what the dealer means by no good on the pop top.
We have used our lights on 12 volt only-240 power from mains and with a genny as well.
We havnt seen any diference in the lighting at all.
Probaly dosnt answer your question lol
Cheers Jim/Tab and Diamond