Expanda Heating

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
What do owners do for heating in their expandas. We were just getting the Heron AC and I thoght that should be OK.

Geoff

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
What do owners do for heating in their expandas. We were just getting the Heron AC and I thoght that should be OK.

Geoff

Whenever we`ve needed heating I`ve opted for a small electric blow heater. The air con works fine but I feel it may be a little too noisy for the neighbours running through the night.

When ever we`ve been staying at unpowered sites, {I did this at Katoomba}, we actually put the oven on to warm the van up. It`s amazing just how quickly he van warmed up with the oven on. I guess it`s only a small area. Naturally i would`t leave it running while we sleep. Just first thing in the morning to warm us up and last thing at night. I open the oven door just slightly open. I think it would also work with just a stove top burning also.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hi Geoff.
If were bush/free camping we just run the genny and heater for an hour or so then snuggle under the blankets.
the heron works well in our 16 footer.
but if we are on 240 we just run it all night on a lower heat setting.
The heron is a great unit
Cheers Jim/Tab and Diamond

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
When out in the bush we use a bottle of scotch and a few beers !!! Na only jokn we crank up the genny and the heron for a bit then weve got great doonas til morning ..

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
How about a man salad for dinner: sausages, baked beans, onion and sweet chilli. Always warms me up

For some reason no one wants to be near me though:shocked:

We used our heron during a few cold snaps. Only need to run it for 30min and then jump into bed. Toasty as.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
We had a Truman E2400 ducted gas unit in our swan and it will be one of the first going into the expanda when we get it... We loved it, takes up virtually no space, is practically silent and very efficient.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
We had a Truman E2400 ducted gas unit in our swan and it will be one of the first going into the expanda when we get it... We loved it, takes up virtually no space, is practically silent and very efficient.

This will be one of the first major install on our Expanda too.

Not a cheap option though, costed it to be about $2k rough, plus gas certification.

But the best option for free camping.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Ok, so what's wrong with a $30 Fan heater? I suppose the grill on when free camping would be a ok option? Just for a period before getting the van toasty.
The good old hot water bottle is good. Otherwise the electric blanket under the eggshell toppers do work a treat.
What a great nights sleep you have then.
Cheers Deano

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi All,

We just use the $30 fan heater also when we have powered site...... but as Deano said the old hot water bottle is what we mainly use & good doonas......

Cheers,

Paul
PMK

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
When we got ours, our first night in it was a free camp alongside the Newell near Forbes in the middle of winter. It wasn't too cold when we went to bed but waking up it was -2.
Lit all 3 burners on the stove for 10 minutes or so and the van was very toasty and warm. Best way and quickest way to heat it before getting all cosy under the doona IMO.
Otherwise a small fan heater in conjunction with the roof mounted AC works well enough for us.

Matty

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Re the using the gas top for heating. I know some people who put a ceramic flower pot over the flame and it helps radiate the heat. Obviously being careful with little ones etc.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Re the using the gas top for heating. I know some people who put a ceramic flower pot over the flame and it helps radiate the heat. Obviously being careful with little ones etc.

Regarding this method of heating, you would need to be careful and think about the rangehood (if fitted or whats above). They are not designed for that amount of direct heat if just the burners were lit. Even worse if they have got fats and oil in them. I wont even mention the added potentially nasty fumes that you would be breathing in. There goes the gasman in me again. Sorry.

Geoff

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Regarding this method of heating, you would need to be careful and think about the rangehood (if fitted or whats above). They are not designed for that amount of direct heat if just the burners were lit. Even worse if they have got fats and oil in them. I wont even mention the added potentially nasty fumes that you would be breathing in. There goes the gasman in me again. Sorry.
Geoff

Agreed, Simply irresponsible if you ask me, although I have two little one to consider, so i guess everyone has different situations to work with

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Ok, so what's wrong with a $30 Fan heater?

Nothing wrong with them, they work a treat, when camping in a car park (Big 4) that is. The reason we opt for the ducted Gas option although pricier is because we have two little ones slithering all over th place and having an electric fan heater on the floor was proving to be more hassle than it was worth.. Also Electric anything limits you to Car Park only camping.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
The aircon warms the van up fast. We use a little fan heater also. We put some carpet rugs on the floor in winter to step on when you get out of bed. The sample mats from carpet retailers are all bound and you can get them for $10 or so each, you only need two. In summer you can leave them home. I carry my hot water bottle and that warms the bed very nicely...

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
I'm not really thinking about bed, as many have said, a good Donna and a little spooning and you're all good...

It's the sitting around the lounge watching Dora the explorer or reading a mag at the table that I want the van to be nice and comfortable in the winter mornings, evenings, and days to for that matter if it happens to rainy etc.