20' Series Expanda good and bad points

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I can understand how you feel @Worst Caravan Ever!

I have a 21.64-1, and have been really happy with it.

I did purchase the Jayco van on full knowledge that they are a mass produced item that often suffer from the odd quality control problem, but felt that the money I was saving compared to other makes for the level of equipment, I could fix a few niggles myself. I was also reassured that Jayco warranty was renowned for actioning serious faults even outside of the warranty period.

Reading through your list of issues, it's mind boggling.

Firstly, the fact you got a 20.64-1 would seem to be a significant breach in contract, however, as you took delivery, it would be taken as acceptance of that change.

We had a number of water leak issues that we discovered on our shakedown trip, including the main inlet leaking under the slideout lounge, that needed some thread tape and tightening, the outlet pipe from the washing machine not being secured, resulting in it emptying into the ensuite cupboard, fixed with a cable tie.

We had the rear bed converter collapse due to too small screws, and a few cupboards and drawers not catching.

All of these I either fixed myself or were fixed under warranty by Jayco Sydney, and then RVGO at Terrey Hills.

It seems that most of the people who have warranty issues on this forum are finding that it's their dealer that's the main problem, and from your description, Nowra Jayco doesn't seem to be doing you too many favours.

Whilst it will be inconvenient, can I suggest you contact Chris at RVGO in Sydney (www.rvgo.com.au) (I have no connection with them other than being a very happy customer) and tell them your issues.

They are a very professional team of guys who are Jayco authorised service agents.

They really know what they are doing and will try and help you out.

I hope you get it all sorted, as you shouldn't be in the position you are, but with 10,000 vans a year, I guess there are going to be some lemons produced. (They shouldn't make it to the public).

I actually have Chris coming to my home shortly to look at some damage that I'm getting fixed under insurance, so will mention your problems to him, to see what he recommends.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2016
Wollongong
Wow! What an awesome reply. Thank you so much bellbirdweb, such an informative and in-depth reply. I almost went and saw the guys from RVGO when I stationed in Narrabeen but the fact I was using the van for accomodation whilst working in Gordon meant it didn't happen.

Regarding the taking delivery of the van on delivery, I admit, is an awkward one and one I'm deliberating and seeking a lot of advice on. I believe the fact that we were on a tight time line to pick up, excited with finally getting it and having to endure one of the most boring 2.5hr hand overs in the history of hand overs, also with all the paperwork shoved in front of to sign including a refund for the privacy screens that never arrived meant an oversight on my behalf at that time.

Also, we were never notified of the change by anyone which indicates either an oversight on their behalf or a hint of under handedness on the salesman part? I'll try and not assume a salesman said and did things that made the sale happen at what ever cost?

The thing I really struggle with, is that my feeling is Jayco are cheap and nasty without being cheap? Paying $65k in my eyes means I bought quality but I just don't have that. I understand you went into the purchase with an idea and a level of acceptance that things may go wrong but I didn't and couldn't as I didn't believe I was shopping at Go-Lo Caravans.

Perhaps Jayco should not market themselves as follows;
"Every new Jayco RV comes with a 12-month warranty, a promise that your Jayco RV is free from workmanship or material defects. Warranty period commences from the date of purchase."

or in actual fact;
Every new Jayco RV comes with a 12-month warranty, a promise that your Jayco RV is has many defects of both workmanship and material but we'll fix it as best as we can even if it takes several attempts. Warranty period commences from the date of purchase.

Obviously said tongue in cheek and without any malice towards you.

Once again thank you for your reply. Happy Jayco-ing to you.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Thanks guys any chance of someone supplying me with the bunk mattress dimensions. I also had a myriad of issues with our 17 foot expanda and once sorted all by jayco under warranty I have not once touch the van for repairs. We have had 3 jaycos and now looking at the 4th and I'm sure there will be some problems. I agree your dealer and service team need to ensure the customer is looked after and all issues are resolved.

good luck

Reactions: Delano

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Perhaps Jayco should not market themselves as follows;
"Every new Jayco RV comes with a 12-month warranty, a promise that your Jayco RV is free from workmanship or material defects. Warranty period commences from the date of purchase."

or in actual fact;
Every new Jayco RV comes with a 12-month warranty, a promise that your Jayco RV is has many defects of both workmanship and material but we'll fix it as best as we can even if it takes several attempts. Warranty period commences from the date of purchase

At least that would be an honest statement unlike their actual one

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Also, we were never notified of the change by anyone which indicates either an oversight on their behalf or a hint of under handedness on the salesman part? I'll try and not assume a salesman said and did things that made the sale happen at what ever cost?

I would like to believe that Caravan Sales Reps are not the same as Car Sales guys from the 70's & 80's, so its not a "sale at any cost"
I get the feeling, that although you asked for, and paid a deposit on a 21', somehow they have had a 20' in their mind

I am wondering, when they sent you the plans for your inspection, and for any modifications, were they for a 20' or a 21' Van.....??
curious, as I think that may have been the start of them getting it wrong

I say this, as when they first sent me my plans, they were for an 18'
when I was buying a 16'
a quick phone call, and the correct plans were then sent

do you still have the email with them sending you the plan for your Van????

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
To WCE, quite clearly your not happy with Jayco and you have my full sympathy as apart from some teathing issues with our 14' we are very happy.
Moving forward to get your van and yourself back on track I feel you need to put some distance between Jayco and yourself by contacting Consumer Affairs (or similar) in your state.
if your not getting any joy with the manufacture with all these warranty issues etc let others in this field fight it for you or it may end up haveing some negative effects on your health/life etc.
we have used CAVic before and it really helps to have someone fight your battles with you.
Just my thoughts! :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I would definately agree.

If there's no room for negotiation or communication then a third party is needed.

Just be very sure you have all the details written down clearly, and have supporting copies of emails etc as well as photos. A record of phone calls, issues discussed, outcomes if any would also be useful.

They'll advise if you are protected by consumer law to start with and, if so, collect details from you and from the other party/parties.

If protected, leave them to investigate. If not, at least you'll know instead of belting your head against a brick wall.

Life's too short to get into a nonproductive argument....it just eats you up.

.:deadhorse:

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
I would like to believe that Caravan Sales Reps are not the same as Car Sales guys from the 70's & 80's, so its not a "sale at any cost"
I get the feeling, that although you asked for, and paid a deposit on a 21', somehow they have had a 20' in their mind

I am wondering, when they sent you the plans for your inspection, and for any modifications, were they for a 20' or a 21' Van.....??

when I was buying a 16'

Sounds as though it was ordered around the time they dropped the 21ft and 20.63 and released the 20.64.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Sounds as though it was ordered around the time they dropped the 21ft and 20.63 and released the 20.64.

ahhhhhh, never thought of that.......

but surely (dont call me Shirley)Jayco should have explained that to WCE......... I'm on a limb here guys
if they didnt, then yes I can understand WCE being slightly "rude" off...........

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic

but surely (dont call me Shirley)Jayco should have explained that to WCE......... I'm on a limb here guys
if they didnt, then yes I can understand WCE being slightly "rude" off...........

With the experience WCE has had with the local dealers, sounds like they dropped the ball and didn't communicate the change.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

With the experience WCE has had with the local dealers, sounds like they dropped the ball and didn't communicate the change.

thats what I was thinking
or

they "thought" they had informed him............

Reactions: dagree

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all, I saw in the photos that there was water coming in near the toilet, I found mine was doing this after it flogged down rain last night. After looking I found that the outside hatch on the toilet water cistern thingy was not very tight when it was closed. Water was running down the outside wall of the van and in around the rubber. When I took out the toilet waste, the area under it was full of water, this then runs into the van behind the pan and into the bathroom. I tightened the catch, it is raining again now so I will check it again tomorrow and let you know how it went

Jan 16, 2016
Wollongong

when I was buying a 16'

Hi Bigcol,

At the time of ordering we only ever discussed the 21 footer and only looked at 21" plans but there has been a huge development to my saga. Just let me reply to a few other nice people and then be ready to read something BIG!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi all, I saw in the photos that there was water coming in near the toilet, I found mine was doing this after it flogged down rain last night. After looking I found that the outside hatch on the toilet water cistern thingy was not very tight when it was closed. Water was running down the outside wall of the van and in around the rubber. When I took out the toilet waste, the area under it was full of water, this then runs into the van behind the pan and into the bathroom. I tightened the catch, it is raining again now so I will check it again tomorrow and let you know how it went

Had exactly the same thing happen over the last holidays during the massive downpour.

Had the bathroom window open for the first couple of days and the water was running down over it and dripping off he window.

Found when I closed the window, we started to get water coming into the bathroom around the bottom of the toilet.

Seemed that the water was seeping in through the hatch.

Opened the window again, and he water stopped coming in.

Jan 16, 2016
Wollongong

After extensive discussions with Phil Banks (owner) of Jayco Nowra, that is exactly what has happened! The sales rep that had taken the order failed to inform me of the changes to the spec. Even though the sales rep is no longer there due to serious health reasons, Phil has taken it upon himself and taken full ownership of the situation.

I had made several emails to Peter Manning again today and once again he avoided the whole 21" to 20" debate which only fired me up more. So I contacted the OFT (Office of Fair Trading NSW) and they advised me that I should be contacting Jayco Nowra as they are the dealer that the contract was signed with.

Phil is down in Melbourne at the National Jayco Junket but still found time to call me directly to finalise a solution before I went and made a formal complaint through the OFT.

The result was...

A full replacement caravan! :amen::dance::minion_bananas:

Phil & I will be meeting up on Monday to place the new order. I am pleased to say Phil, who has conducted himself professionally through the whole ordeal, truely is a champion.

A refund was never an option for us, and I have always maintained the belief that we just got sold a lemon. Not all Jaycos are as bad as the one I got and from the people that have taken the time to give me messages of support have proven that.

I'm hoping and almost praying that the new van will dispel all the negativity I hold against Jayco and allow me and my family to confidently take on that round Australia trip?

Thanks to everyone that has replied, I really appreciate it!
Cheers Pete.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
After extensive discussions with Phil Banks (owner) of Jayco Nowra, that is exactly what has happened! The sales rep that had taken the order failed to inform me of the changes to the spec. Even though the sales rep is no longer there due to serious health reasons, Phil has taken it upon himself and taken full ownership of the situation.

I had made several emails to Peter Manning again today and once again he avoided the whole 21" to 20" debate which only fired me up more. So I contacted the OFT (Office of Fair Trading NSW) and they advised me that I should be contacting Jayco Nowra as they are the dealer that the contract was signed with.

Phil is down in Melbourne at the National Jayco Junket but still found time to call me directly to finalise a solution before I went and made a formal complaint through the OFT.

The result was...

A full replacement caravan! :amen::dance::minion_bananas:

Phil & I will be meeting up on Monday to place the new order. I am pleased to say Phil, who has conducted himself professionally through the whole ordeal, truely is a champion.

A refund was never an option for us, and I have always maintained the belief that we just got sold a lemon. Not all Jaycos are as bad as the one I got and from the people that have taken the time to give me messages of support have proven that.

I'm hoping and almost praying that the new van will dispel all the negativity I hold against Jayco and allow me and my family to confidently take on that round Australia trip?

Thanks to everyone that has replied, I really appreciate it!
Cheers Pete.

Wow, that's a spectacular result Pete.

Well worthwhile persisting.

I hope the replacement only has the usual Jayco issues and not that extra special set that you seem to have received in your first one.

I suspect Jayco Nowra will be going over it with a fine tooth comb before you get it.

Funnily enough I'm potential looking at selling my 21.64-1 later in the year

Jan 16, 2016
Wollongong
Wow, that's a spectacular result Pete.

Well worthwhile persisting.

I hope the replacement only has the usual Jayco issues and not that extra special set that you seem to have received in your first one.

I suspect Jayco Nowra will be going over it with a fine tooth comb before you get it.

Funnily enough I'm potential looking at selling my 21.64-1 later in the year
Agreed bellbird agreed. Are you looking at another Jayco? If so I'll let you know what the 2016 model is like before you invest.
Hopefully I can change my name to Best Caravan Ever???

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Agreed bellbird agreed. Are you looking at another Jayco? If so I'll let you know what the 2016 model is like before you invest.
Hopefully I can change my name to Best Caravan Ever???

Yes still looking at another Jayco. Have been very happy with mine.

Looking at possibly moving to a 21.65-3 Outback Silverline.

SWMBO is over the sideways bed